PDA

View Full Version : Morale and flight safety

Bo Jingly
2nd Jan 2004, 14:16
Dear enlightened ones,

Does anyone know of any professional medical / psycholgical articles regarding the effects of low morale on flight safety or the working environment?

It's an interesting subject that I'd like scientific evidence for rather than subjective hearsay!

I hope someone can help and a Happy New Year to you all.

Regards

BJ :D

Spartacan
2nd Jan 2004, 22:05
Try:

Wayne C.Hanis, Daniel Sachau, Scot C Harris and Robert Allen, 2001, The Relationship Between Working Conditions And Commercial Pilot Fatigue Development.

and

Neil Johnston, Nick McDonald and Ray Fuller, 1997, Aviation Psychology in Practice, Ashgate.

Regards,

Spartacan.

Bo Jingly
3rd Jan 2004, 13:19
Thanks Spartacan,

I think the first article is mainly concerning fatigue:

http://www.beta-research.com/r0251201abstract.html

The second one seems to be more related to " broadening the focus of aviation psychology beyond the flight deck to the whole aviation system; and by discussing new theoretical developments which are shaping this applied discipline. A key feature of these theoretical advances is that they are grounded in a more developed, ecologically valid, understanding of practice"

It's the issue of morale I really need to find out about. Maybe articles realting to general work practice rather than aviation would help. If anyone has any other ideas please? :)

Kind regards and thanks again Sparty!

Spartacan
4th Jan 2004, 01:02
The following report does touch on some issues of morale:

Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA) Sponsored Research Study into the Flight Deck Implications of Airline Restructuring.

http://www.icon-consulting.com/study_reports/reportv2.pdf

Bo Jingly
4th Jan 2004, 14:32
Thanks again Spartacan,

This is just what the Dr ordered! :)

Happy New Year

BJ

Spartacan
6th Jan 2004, 17:41
Good. Glad the report is useful to you.

I am surprised this report has not had a higher profile in the industry. It comprehensively addresses many contentious issues discussed here on Pprune.

I would be interested in your view.

Feel free to PM me.

Spartacan

Hawk
6th Jan 2004, 18:57
Hi Bo Jingly..interesting thread and a reasonable response from the medical forum. I hope you dont mind, but I've moved it across to CRM and Safety to access a broader audience and further input.
Cheers
Hawk :ok: