PDA

View Full Version : Krakuj

formationfoto
2nd Jan 2004, 03:03
I am considering moving from my trusty chipmunk to something else interesting. Have considered the Yak route but recently a Krakuj caught my eye. £30k ish for 150 Kts single seat genuine warbird with canons still attached. Looks potentially interesting as a fun machine and possible display mount. Anyone flown one of these and able to offer hints on handling, performance, and operating costs. A large engine I think and probably quite expensive.

Eventually the Mk26 Spitfire (80% scale) looks like a fun option but would like to see more of these flying before opting for a non production aircraft. The Krakuj might be a good five year diversion.

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Jan 2004, 04:35
Butt ugly.

A few years ago read an article in I think 'Pilot'

Remember reading it and not immediately getting the urge to go out and find one.

Believe you're well introduced in those quarters so should be able to get a back copy.

FD

Zlin526
2nd Jan 2004, 04:47
An ideal aircraft for spending loadsa money on fuel, making lotsa noise (geared Lycoming engine!), and a bit antisocial. But its got a tailwheel, so it must be OK.

Good Luck FF

noisy
2nd Jan 2004, 18:18
There is one sitting in the long grass at EGTR with no prop.
I remember the article in Pilot. The guy reckoned it was a turd, as I remember. (in terms of poorly harmonised controls)

LowNSlow
2nd Jan 2004, 20:50
My recollections of the flight test go something like:

Noisy
Poor control harmonisation
Heavy
Thirsty
Slow for it's power
Nasty stall, lots of height for recovery???? (Bit vague on this one) but I definitely recall that it was not tolerant of mistakes.

Looks good though

Hairyplane
3rd Jan 2004, 00:58
Hi FF,

If this wierd device really blows your frock up then go for it. Grrreeeaaat on the airshow circuit!

Now I don't imagine a queue of people for such an obscure machine. Call me mercenary (Baaaaaah!) but you need to consider the next owner and the difficulty that you in turn might experience in shifting it on when you lose your sense of humour altogether on the operating costs.

My advice? Go see him with £15k in folding and be prepared to walk away without a tear in your eye if he says no.

I bet if he says no now, that phone will ring before much longer.

You'll enjoy it much more if you've got £15k 'change' to shovel into the pot.

Bring it over to Old Warden - love to see it close up.

HP

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Jan 2004, 01:04
Hi HP,

Sterling advice there.

Long time no see!

As you can see here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113935) it may work out well for a meeting at Shuttleworth in Spring.

If so I will bring the Condor and you can have a whizz.

FD

formationfoto
5th Jan 2004, 16:46
HP
Thanks

The general view appears not to be too positive!. If I get time will maybe go and have a look but the sell on point is always important and in this case is, as you suggest, a negative.

Will dig out the PILOT article and review that before putting in further effort.

Thanks

Wide-Body
5th Jan 2004, 21:07
Hi

I think the report was by Bob Davy in Flyer magazine. It is my recollection that Bob found this a particularly nasty aircraft. (I don't think the owners were to happy). I operate shares in a Chippy and a YAK. There are very good reasons for them being so common and allegedly good reasons for Krakuj being so rare.

Good luck with your purchase, as a Chippy owner do not dismiss a YAK because it is common.

All the best

Wide:ok:

formationfoto
5th Jan 2004, 23:36
WB
Correct it was Bob and the article was in Flyer. Thanks to that nice Mr Wall I have just got hold of a copy of it and am about to find out why he disliked it so much.

I guess the only reason for dismissing the Yak is that there are plenty of people around able to display them so i am unlikely to be called upon to offer my services.

Maybe we should get a Chippy four ship up for displays - now a chippy diamond nine would be quite fun now that the Tigers are no longer doing it.

Hairyplane
6th Jan 2004, 11:54
Hi Flying Dutch!

Slipping off the Krakugh topic here ( I think we've given all the necessary advice though..?! - steal it for a quid!) I'll PM you in a day or so. It's 4.45am (insomnia rules) so I'm back to a very nice hot bottie.

Looking forward to seeing you too.

HP