PDA

View Full Version : Dornier 328TP Cold Cross Starts

DexyDogg
31st Dec 2003, 07:33
I am curious as to the use of cold cross with starts at other 328 turboprop operators. There is a current debate within the crew at my company that cold cross should only be used during 'cold' starts, or the initial start of the day. Some pilots believe that the extra power put through to the starter/generator increases wear and tear and may end up costing money in the future.

Our engineers, however, differ in that opinion, stating that cold cross should be used for every start and at any time. They claim that cold cross will result in cooler ITT starts for the engines and may actually save money.

So, what do most of you 328 tp operators do and what are your thoughts on this technical debacle?:confused:

Thanks!:D

Crossunder
2nd Jan 2004, 10:31
Never flown the thing, but strikes me as kinda stupid to argue against the engineers on such an issue?

Airking
2nd Jan 2004, 17:57
DD,
I have also no experience with the DO, but my thought would be :
anything INSIDE the engine is definetely more expensive than outside.

Saving wear and tear in the engine (cooler ITT) should be the better option over saving the S/G´s...

We (KingAir, CJ2) do always cross starting, and I try to alter the first engine to be started (maybe a problem with your comp regs ? or Systems ?) to keep the stresslevel as equal as possible.