PDA

View Full Version : LGW low flying airliner

Anti-ice
29th Dec 2003, 20:39
At 0657 this morning, myself and many of my neighbours were awoken by the sound of the approach of a large-ish airliner flying very low.

It flew over head Maidenbower (5km SSE of LGW) at a height of approx 3000-4000 feet, accelerating but not climbing ,and looked the size of possibly a 767 type.

It was fairly alarming as its approach was heard for some time, and there are (fortunately) very few low flying aircraft over this area.
It sounded like an imminent collision was about to take place.

This was extremely low compared to those that do, and was it just a go-around,or is this likely to become the norm?

Red Four
29th Dec 2003, 21:22
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what does an imminent collision sound like??

Gonzo
29th Dec 2003, 21:25
I think they sound like:

No?

BRL
29th Dec 2003, 21:48
Sounds like a go-around. If they were using 08R then if the go-around was initiated very early on then there is a good chance it would have flown over Maidenbower whilst turning back towards Midhurst.

Anti-ice
29th Dec 2003, 23:28
Thanks BRL for a sensible response ;)
And to the other 2 for yours :rolleyes:

The approach was heard for along time before it passed overhead making people wonder what was happening....
It was very loud when it went over ,and was very low for the area.

It's not an area where lowflying airliners are seen.

Just wondered why the plane was allowed to / have to fly so low
as many awoke fearing the worst.
We don't get plane noise in this area (fortunately), but this was almost unreal.

Be interesting to know who the operator was . . . .

Muppit
29th Dec 2003, 23:59
AI, check your PM.

Weather avoidance...?

:O

BRL
31st Dec 2003, 07:25
Another guess would be him turning right over the car park at the end of 26L, missed approach because of the fog/mist knocking about and heading over your way accelerating away and up at the same time. Noisy plane could have been the Ryanair 737-200. That makes a lot of noise at the best of times and that could be what went over. I don't know really to be honest, guess who is bored.!!!

Anti-ice
31st Dec 2003, 22:16
Thanks Muppit and Gatman , very helpful guys.

BRL - i have PM'd you .

Best to all for 2004

AI

jumpseater
31st Dec 2003, 23:07
Contact the noise complaints dept at LGW, they'll need the date time, location of the event. They can then use their noise and track keeping system to identify the event, they do this by overlaying radar tracks onto a geographical database. I don't know their specific policy but they may be able to supply some details, and maybe if this has had any follow up on the airport operator part eg noise penalty fine. I don't think however they will identify the operator.
rgds
js

atco-matic
2nd Jan 2004, 02:29
a) I can't believe somebody would post this on here... are you a paranoid American?

b) I can't believe somebody would have nothing better to do than to get out of bed at 0657 in the morning to look at a plane flying over their house when they live 4 miles away from an airport (I know where Maidenbower is before you ask. Maybe you work in the day, but planes do fly over there occasionally).

and

3) I can't believe you've ever heard an imminent collision! :) :) :)

(I just realised there isn't a 'hilarious laughter' emoticon!)