PDA

View Full Version : If you could only fly one type...

Rupert S
29th Dec 2003, 01:33
Scenario: You are about to be given a plane that magically never runs out of hours, all C of A renewals will be payed for, the plane will be payed for, it's 100% reliable, all engineering and repair work will be payed for and all fuel and insure will be payed for (basically a running and initial cost of £0), any training required to fly it is also paid for. Snag is you can only fly this type of plane and no other ever again. So what's it going to be?

TheKentishFledgling
29th Dec 2003, 01:41
Sopwith Camel.

tKF

PS or some Sukhoi or other...(thanks to stik's email earlier...)

Speedbird252
29th Dec 2003, 01:49
Mk IX Spitfire.......

oohh yes please.........

:)

TheKentishFledgling
29th Dec 2003, 01:54
Bets on for how many people say Spitfire......:} :}

tKF

Max AirFactor
29th Dec 2003, 02:03
Something exactly like this. I saw it flown by Kermit Weeks a couple of months back.
It sounded great and its VERY shiney.

Edited: As noted by LowNslow,
its a P-51C with a 1500 hp Packard V-1650 Merlin

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/images/1305-31.jpg

Rupert S
29th Dec 2003, 02:14
I'd probably want something like a spitfire or even a Husky. On the other end of the spectrum, something fast, luxurious and fun... a Citation mustang or a Lear 45 :}

S-Works
29th Dec 2003, 02:30
C152, simple desires! It provides endless fun and yet is still practical for UK flying!

Max AirFactor
29th Dec 2003, 02:50
Bose - Your benefactor is granting your ultimate flying desire. Would'nt you rather take your mates up in a Lancaster or Airforce 1 ?

Actually one of my choices would be a homebuilt (Vans RV-4 or RV-10). I'll do the build myself, funded by Ruperts generous financial package.

iainpoll
29th Dec 2003, 02:58
Dare I say.......Concorde?

Genghis the Engineer
29th Dec 2003, 03:26
Hawk T1a.

But might be persuaded by one of the export models.

G

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Dec 2003, 03:39
It may be predictable but there's really only one it could be - Spitfire 1X.

GA types? - Pah! But the ex-military ones like Chippy and Yak are fun, but you don't need an offer like this to fly them.......

Airliners? (even Conorde?) - staight and level therefore ultimately, boring.

Military jets? - pressure-suite, bomedome and squeeeze-trousered isolation terrirtory - self-guided missiles needing miles of tarmac and no contact with the raw sound and the wind. That's not flying.

No, the ultimate pilot's aeroplane must have superb handling, character, a bottomless pit of power, sound superb, be fully aerobatic, be the best looking, and able to operate off grass. There's absolutely no contest.

Single seat, no touring capability - but every red-blooded pilot's dream:) Life's too short to consider anything less if an offer like this is made.

I'd be over the Moon if I got to fly one just once:ok:

SSD

AerBabe
29th Dec 2003, 04:33
If I was playing it safe I'd say Chipmunk, as I know I love flying it. However, I'd consider the dangerous option of going for the unknown of a Mustang. :ok:

Am I really that predictable?

Chuck Ellsworth
29th Dec 2003, 04:42
The Space Shuttle.

BEXIL160
29th Dec 2003, 04:55
Much the same criteria as SSD, but not a Spit:

DH Sea Hornet because I never saw one (complete) :(

Or

Hawker Sea Fury because I did :D

best rgds
BEX

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Dec 2003, 05:30
No brainer!

One of these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brettward/images/beaver.jpg

But you knew I was going to say that.

rotorcraig
29th Dec 2003, 05:38
Wouldn't choose anything with the fan on the front!!!

http://www.agusta.com/image/gra3a109.jpg

RC

LowNSlow
29th Dec 2003, 12:53
I think this demonstrates that there is no "perfect" aeroplane. For me the best compromise would be one of the aerobatic Bonanzas (A36?) or better still one of the Yak-18's with the 450hp engine, loads of grunt, aerobatic (ish), good tourer, 4 seats and SOMEBODY ELSE IS PAYING :ok: :ok: :ok:

PS Max AirFactor that's a P-51C, it does have a Merlin.

Evo
29th Dec 2003, 15:36
Hell, if it's unlimited hours with someone else paying then i'd fly just about anything... but as I have a choice, maybe I'll have a Focke-Wulf 190-D9... watch out Speedy :E

FlyingForFun
29th Dec 2003, 16:28
Would have to be fast and very IFR capable, but also slow, responsive, and aerobatic. Definitely has to have the third wheel at the back, and must also carry at least 4 people. I think Bolkow made something that met most of these requirements? Ideally it would be open-cockpit in the summer, and have a nice cabin heater in the winter, but I think I'm pushing things a bit too far now.....

Personally, though, I'd rather trade in some of the ridiculously expensive aircraft that some people are suggested, and buy four or five much cheaper aircraft instead. Although I know that wasn't an option the way that Rupert phrased the question.

FFF
-----------

bingoboy
29th Dec 2003, 16:38
Have to be a 2 seat Harrier as my gardens only tiny .

Speed, aero's, land on a sixpence to ask the way etc.

Roger

shortstripper
29th Dec 2003, 16:43
My ultimate would be a Hawker Hurricane !!!!

... but more practically a nice two seat Fournier RF5 ... it has everything I like wrapped in one package ... It's aerobatic, soars fairly well, is great for touring, can operate from moderately short strips and you can share the fun with someone else.

But .... the Hurricane ..........ohhhhhhhhh pleaseeeeeeeeeee !!!!

SS

Rupert S
29th Dec 2003, 16:43
...have always been a fan of the F-14 but i think that might be a tad greedy.

Maxflyer
29th Dec 2003, 16:55
DH98 Mosquito ..........

With the music from 633 Squadron blasting out loud and proud.

M14P
29th Dec 2003, 17:01
Dream Machine FW-190...

Practically speaking F33C (or E33C) aerobatic Bonanza. Fairly average at aeros but a fab tourer and nice to fly to boot.

Happy New Year all

Whirlybird
29th Dec 2003, 17:10
I was going to be ever so boring and ask nicely for a Hughes 500, preferably a red one.

Then I saw Chuck's post and all other ideas went out the window...oh YES, I wanna fly a SPACE SHUTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedbird252
29th Dec 2003, 21:06
Hey Evo,

me and shortstripper could hunt in pairs........

:ouch:

Tiger_ Moth
29th Dec 2003, 22:23
Spitfire! any mark thats IX or earlier! Wouldn't be disappointed with a Hurricane or Mustang either!

C152!.....to each his own.....................

stiknruda
29th Dec 2003, 22:57
PC9 with hard-points

Could operate it from home, great x-country, decent aeros and night/IFR and I wouldn't look daft climbing out of it in my flying.
suit!

So, when does it arrive?

Thanks

Stik

Rupert S
29th Dec 2003, 23:21
to have the best of the rotor and fixed wing roads, also because i love planes with props and also that it's unusual and very new, the V-22 Osprey.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Dec 2003, 23:31
A couple of folks want to fly the Space Shuttle. Their call, but does it count as an aeroplane? It gets blasted in very low earth orbit courtesey of a couple of fireworks, scrapes around just about in space, then re-enters and if it survives drops like a brick to a dead-stick landing.

If space rockets are included, I'll have a Saturn V Apollo, please, with full support and required crew for a Moon mission:)

SSD

Rupert S
29th Dec 2003, 23:34
I think allowing a space craft is going too far. Given the choice, i'd obviously love to go to space... at least once anyway. Lets keep it to air breathing engines and gliders that are towed by air breathing engines.

S-Works
29th Dec 2003, 23:54
I have flown over 30 types but there is just something endearing about a 152!

I would get bored of the fancy stuff eventually, after all how many bacon butties could I go and get in a space shuttle or saturn V?

:O

kabz
30th Dec 2003, 01:19
personally a 152 would be cool by me. simple, easy to fly. lots of fun.

stepping up a bit, a bonanza would be nice, or a baron, if I was allowed a twin.

totally dreaming, I'd love to fly a King Air, and have a go in an MU-2 ..... :}

slim_slag
30th Dec 2003, 02:37
Pitts S2A.

It does exactly what you ask it to, nothing more and nothing less.

BEXIL160
30th Dec 2003, 02:48
Apolgies to Rupert S, but just to widen things a bit could I suggest we name

1) What we'd like

2) What we'd settle for

and lastly

3) What we'd actually end up with

For myself:

I'd like a Sea Fury, would settle for aTucano , would end up with an Aeronca 7 Champ (and I'd still be a very happy bunny:D )

Besr rgds
BEX

Saab Dastard
30th Dec 2003, 03:36
On BEXIL160's scale, I'd have:

a B29

a B25

a DC3

Happy New Year

SD

Arclite01
30th Dec 2003, 04:36
It's a three way split (menage a trois I believe it's called) anyway...........

Definately a Beaver for hauling ass 'n' trash there is just something abou them - they are so ugly and yet so functional. Take the wife and kids etc and operate out of a rough strip.......

Definately a Chipmunk just for fun (or an AVRO 504 if there was no Chipmunk available)

and finally'

Definately a fully equipped Stemme S-10 for pure skill and fun of flying

anyway back on planet earth............

Arc:\

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Dec 2003, 05:09
Definately a Beaver ..... [snip] ..... operate out of a rough strip....... No! No! NO!!!

Heresy!!!

Beavers are not designed for wheels!*?!!!**!!?

Water, please.

Might let you off with skis in winter. (OK, so you can land on snow on floats if you really have to, but I suspect you shouldn't try to take off again, and you'd want to look at the floats before putting them back in the water.)

Speedbird252
30th Dec 2003, 05:59
On BEXIL160's scale, I'd have:

a) MkIX Spit

b) Mk5C Spit

c) Flying Legends Calender from Transair

:{

djk
30th Dec 2003, 06:00
would love to do more time in a DH82a Tiger Moth, most likely have to settle for a C152 for pretty much of the time though.
Would settle for any early Mk of a Spitfire too.

Andy_R
30th Dec 2003, 06:13
1. Diamond DA40

2. Pitts Special

3. Aeronca 7 Champ

Though I'd be happy with anything with wings as would most of us :D

Kingy
30th Dec 2003, 06:33
1. DH 103 Hornet (obviously)

2. Hawker Fury biplane

3. Isaacs Fury............ Er, I've actually got one of those - now about this funding...? :D

Kingy

FJJP
30th Dec 2003, 06:37
1. Griffin engined Spitfire

2. Vulcan

3. Victor

4. Buccaneer

5. HP115

6. X-15

Airbedane
31st Dec 2003, 06:21
It has to be the Harrier.

In respect of questions 1 to 3, then it's Harrier, Harrier and Jodel. I started on a C150 - it certainly 'blew my frock up' at the time, to quote a very good friend - (and amongst other things, I'm currently instructing on the 152 and 172), but I suspect I'll eventually end up with my old and trusty Jodel!

A

VFR800
31st Dec 2003, 18:49
Err,

a. DC-3

b. PA-28

c. Anything bar a microlight!

Happy New Year y'all. :)

ModernDinosaur
31st Dec 2003, 19:25
1) SR-71 Blackbird

2) Tucano

3) DA-40 Diamond Star / DA-42 TwinStar

Happy New Year!

MD

High Wing Drifter
31st Dec 2003, 19:48
It would have to be a Spit (don't care which one)...sorry :p

Just editing to say: It does matter which one, the one with two seats.

jamierwilliams
31st Dec 2003, 22:00
Dream - Citation Mustang/Citation CJ3

Settle with - P-51C Mustang

More Likely - Cap 232

J@mie

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR for tommorow

TheKentishFledgling
31st Dec 2003, 22:08
Dream - Citation Mustang/Citation CJ3

Settle with - P-51C Mustang

More Likely - Cap 232

Jamie, you have to have the most interesting variation between the three answers!

tKF

jamierwilliams
31st Dec 2003, 22:47
well...i suppose i would have all of those as a dream!

Zlin526
1st Jan 2004, 05:00
PA-18-150 Super Cub
Fournier RF4D
P-51D Mustang
Jodel D140 Mousquetaire
Pitts S-2B

and a farm in Suffolk with an airstrip...and a vintage tractor to cut the grass.....and a 30 yr old blonde millionairess who owns a brewery and an oil refinery!

360BakTrak
1st Jan 2004, 23:00
TSR2........the best British aircraft that never was!:{

MKA149P
1st Jan 2004, 23:15
It would have to be a float Beaver for me...based in British Columbia.....heaven...!!

Evo
1st Jan 2004, 23:19
OK, being realistic, on Bex's scale i'd have...

Extra 300L
Cap 10b
Jodel D140 Mousquetaire

...but i'm quite happy with what i've got :)

AerBabe
2nd Jan 2004, 16:58
Harrier
Mustang
1:72 C152

aidanruff
3rd Jan 2004, 23:39
If it was just for me, then the Spit is the thing, if you want to double the fun and take a friend, then a P51 mustang is just the ticket.

When I was doing my IR at florida kissimee back in April I met a bloke who owns both + a Falcon business jet. Now how cool is that? His wife had bought him a Spitfire for his birthday(!) about three years ago and it had taken that long to get it over to the States.

I watched his first solo and wished that it was me!
We had the Falcon, the Mustang and the SPit in formation over Kissimee and even attracted the attention of a local newscopter.

From news-crew on Kissimee frequency...
Q. Why are you flying a business jet, a Mustang and a Spitfire in formation?
A. Because we can!

Yahoo.