PDA

View Full Version : Practical in Germany theory in England????

Airbus.De
27th Dec 2003, 05:04
I am about to begin my PPL (A) here in Hamburg Germany.

But

I will be teaching myself the ground school AND hopefully take the exams here in Germany in ENGLISH

Is this possible or can anyone tell me where to find out.

when I apply for my license will it be the German or English authorities that I apply to?

As I am starting any advice on text books, Meterial etc to get started

All advice welcome

Phil

WestWind1950
27th Dec 2003, 14:15
Most German authorities won't have any exams available in English... yet.... You had better check out the one in Hamburg or have your school check for you. The responsible authority is the one in the jurisdiction of the school you are attending. They will also appoint the examiner for the practical. Whether or not you can do your practical in England will depend on the English authorities after you change to an English school and whether the hours, etc. from Germany will be accepted. I heard a tale about someone beginning in Switzerland (under JAR-FCL rules), he moved to Holland where he wanted to continue his training (also JAR-FCL) and the Dutch wouldn't accept his previous training time! :( And that's called European harmonisation!! :mad:

Westy

Airbus.De
27th Dec 2003, 19:34
Cheers Westy

Unfortunatly I Didn't plan to stay in Germany as long as I have and was hoping to do the PPL on return to the UK. (but carn't wait any longer)

I am going to complete all the practical here in Hamburg and self teach myself the theory.

Are you saying that the German Authority my not except my English Exam Papers?

WestWind1950
27th Dec 2003, 21:51
guess you're working at Finkenwerder? ;)

You better check with the authority first before you get some surprises after it's too late... I know that the authority in my area (near Frankfurt) is unable at the moment to offer English theory exams... so, check out with yur authority in Hamburg first. Maybe it'll work, but I wouldn't want to invest lots of time and cost just to have them not accepted.

Hope things work out for you.....

Westy

Airbus.De
28th Dec 2003, 01:53
Hope you don't mind me asking westy but what you doing in Germany.

Have you also had experiance of my situation yourself?

Do you think they would alow translators in the Exam????

WestWind1950
4th Jan 2004, 14:22
hi Airbus,

sorry, I was gone a few days. I noticed you had asked the questions again in a new thread and also in the instructors sections and I started digging for your old one.... I was beginning to think I was imagining things ;)

To your questions to me: I'm an American, living here for some 30+ years. I used to be married to a Lufthansa pilot.
Since I can understand, speak, and read German I didn't have your problem when doing my PPL. But I have quite close contact to some of the people at the German authorities :hmm:

They would definetly not allow a translator at the exams... who could guarantee that he/she translates everything right? And then you fail the test and try to blame it on the translator? sorry...won't work.

BEagle has written an answer in the instructors section for you.... maybe that'll help you. He seems to know more about the local situation in Hamburg (we seem to assume, because of your nick, that you have something to do with Finkenwerder and a certain company there.... :cool: )

Westy

Airbus.De
4th Jan 2004, 17:40
Yes A320 Spark seconded from Broughton England been here 2 years.

Posted a reply on Flying instructors & Eximiners

I need to come up with somthing soon!!