PDA

View Full Version : Faster planes ITS true

squire316
26th Dec 2003, 07:31
I have purchased a plane and have painted it an appropriate colour. But to make the plane go faster, swn the wings to a certain length and removed half the rudder. This has allowed me to use minimal amount of fuel, travel to 10 000 feet and also helped to control the plane's turbulance. I have also replaced the altimiter with a tube of salt water as its more effective.

please feel free to suggest improvements to my C152 plane.

tomcs
26th Dec 2003, 17:35
Is this a joke?

Flying Farmer
26th Dec 2003, 17:51
Only 10000 ft, knew a guy who got one up to 13000 in Florida :E bog standard flying school heap of c:mad: p as well!! mind you the engine did cut on him:}
PFL from 13000 feet anyone better that.

Happy new year

Flying F

Miserlou
26th Dec 2003, 19:11
I did a dead stick from 13,500'.

It would have been alot more interesting had it happened at 5,000. I'd not have made the airfield and there were precious few decent alternatives!

If you go for the matt or satin finish one will get less drag. Gloss paint comes in third in the drag stakes.

Monocock
26th Dec 2003, 21:11
Can't say I'm totally with this thread!!!?????

LowNSlow
26th Dec 2003, 21:15
miserlou is that why genius aerodynamicist Burt Rutan has his composite beauties in a highly polished state then? Same for those luck chaps who pole their aeroplanes around the pylons?

Dick Whittingham
27th Dec 2003, 01:34
Well, I did a dead stick on my home base from 48,000. Took a long time to get down.

Dick W

Keef
27th Dec 2003, 03:32
Must be boring!

The highest I ever did a deadstick was from 5000 feet - but that was over LA. Yes, we reached the airfield, landed OK, and even rolled off onto the taxiway. Not very exciting. That aircraft had the matt finish to the paint - I think it was once gloss but age had taken its toll.

Kingy
27th Dec 2003, 09:01
I must be super dull, my highest dead stick was 350' - missed the tall trees, the phone cables and the bales of hay. In fact, it was so boring each one of those 20 seconds seemed to drag on for hours - I nearly drifted off at one point..!

As for speed improvements to a C152 - well you can rip off that training wheel for a start - that'll pick up a few knots ;)

Kingy

Spodman
27th Dec 2003, 14:25
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear mate. If you wanted speed you bought the wrong aeroplane.

I wonder what you mean by "appropriate color"? Matt dark grey with a shark-mouth?

Salt water:confused: :confused: :confused:

Further speed modifications you may consider:

:8 Grab a turbo from the nearest truck wrecker and bolt the sucker on.

:8 Replace attitude instruments with a cat on the dash (They always know which way is up, just drop one). Pick a skinny cat for maximum weight reduction.

:8 Saw some more bits off. Most of the bits that stick out are merely decoration, like 1950's Chryslers. Your 150 was designed with the same type of pencil.

:8 Replace tired, heavy, old-tech seats with modern, lightweight milk crates.

:8 How about another turbo?

:8 Back to the truck wreckers and get some door hinges. Then you can design your own retractable undercarriage.

Whatever you do though, DON'T FLY IT OVER MY HOUSE:ouch:

redsnail
27th Dec 2003, 15:33
Check insurance policy.
Then burn the C152
Start again with something decent. :E

Spodman
27th Dec 2003, 16:24
:ouch:

That's a bit harsh Redders, the 150's OK. If you pick a straight-tail and saw off the nosewheel it's almost cute. For a family pet or light touring it would be lovely. To hot-rod it is a bit misguided:E

You may as well take in innoffensive little family car like a Mini Minor and soup it up... Oh buggar, that one worked...

redsnail
27th Dec 2003, 20:41
Harsh it may be, but it is fair. :E

dublinpilot
27th Dec 2003, 22:46
That's all too much effort, for too little gain....

Simply add a red go-faster stripe to both sides, change the wheels to alloys, put a "no-fear" sticker on all windows, and replace your head set with a baseball cap.....that's bound to add a good 40-50kt on to it's cruise!

dp

FlyingForFun
28th Dec 2003, 04:20
Who wants speed, anyway? Most fun I've ever had in an aeroplane, without going upside-down, was in a J3 on floats. Not sure how fast we got, coz the instructor's head was blocking my view of the ASI, but can't have been much faster than 50mph. And I wouldn't have wanted to add a go-faster anything to that, coz if we went faster it wouldn't have been safe to fly around at 500' all day :p

FFF
----------

karrank
15th Jan 2004, 06:58
Squire, HELLO?

C'mon please, put us out of our misery. Was this a windup or is there really a Speed-150 out there in development?

Penguina
15th Jan 2004, 20:50
Follow the wind (and see where you end up)? Or make sure you always have a full bladder because then you always think you're going more slowly than you really are.

And look!

<---------------------

I've got a flying penguina! :cool:

Now that's a pace and a half; your Speed-150 would be eating my feathers.

Saab Dastard
16th Jan 2004, 04:31
Penguina,

Oooh, suits you maam, suits yoooohhh!

I'm glad you chose one "Flying" through the water, 'cos you've got to admit they look bloody daft on dry land! ;)

Cheers

SD

And Thanks to Smurph for hosting it, eh? :p

Penguina
16th Jan 2004, 20:24
Er, Saab,

they look bloody daft on dry land
and
Oooh, suits you maam, suits yoooohhh
could easily be misconstrued by Penguinetta as a slight. Be aware of this.
:uhoh:

Yeah, isn't smurph a hon, though? :)

(And to make it look like this isn't just another excuse to admire my lovely penguina, I'm going to suggest that you could fly really really close to the ground, Squire, and then it'll seem like you're going like the clappers. Especially if you overtake someone walking their dog - I'm sure in a slight dive it would be relatively easy.)

Final 3 Greens
17th Jan 2004, 03:49
Can we get back on thread please!

What colour were the go faster stripes on the C152?

Did you get the idea of sawing the wings from the Trident at Heathrow?

You want to watch that salt water - its a bit corrosive - try Famous Grouse instead, its also easier to see 'cos its brown coloured.

As to improvments, why don;t you give her a name 'Troll' and paint it on the front end :)

B2N2
17th Jan 2004, 07:29
http://www.flaemingair.de/Flugzeugwerft/LTB-Infos/Rotax/rotax.html

C150 with rotax, the turbo version has a ceiling of 25000'
and a TAs of 140kts.

Texas Taildragger, tailwheel with 150HP
http://www.mtsu.edu/~hallen/

Don't say you can't have fun with a 150

:ok: :ok: :ok: