PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it to partial your CPL ??

blueb0y79
25th Dec 2003, 19:50
Hi to all

I was just wondering how many of you out there have partialled your CPL skill test and how important is it in getting a job ?

Merry Xmas

Artificial Horizon
25th Dec 2003, 21:12
A friend of mine partialed his CPL and is now flying 737's, another friend partialed his IR and now flying turboprops. So I wouldn't worry to much.:)

witchdoctor
25th Dec 2003, 23:09
I wouldn't let it worry you unduly. I partialled almost every flight test I've ever had including the CPL skills test and IR, but it hasn't kept me from a job.

If your day to day flying is up to scratch, you get good reports from your FI and you come across well in an interview, then provided you don't look like an @rse on the sim ride, you shouldn't have a major problem once vacancies begin appearing in reasonable numbers.

Too many people forget that you still need some kind of a personality to take to interview with your shiny licence, and so you get experienced guys occassionally losing out to inexperienced guys who can demonstrate that they will fit in better with the existing team. It isn't all about flying funnily enough.

Relax and enjoy it all.:ok:

Gin Slinger
26th Dec 2003, 01:08
Got my CPL at the 3rd attempt, partialled the IR. Now being paid to do a 737 type rating.

During the recruitment process, I was asked why I partialled my IR - I gave a reasoned response and the interviewers seemed quite happy with this.

Flight schools teach you to fly light aircraft. The airline I now work for obviously reccognise this fact, and judge you on how you perform in their selection process.

In my opinion, once you get a shot at a selection process, how much preparation you do for it will determine the result.

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Dec 2003, 00:08
Don't worry - its a nice to have not need to have; a first time pass.

There are loads of ace of bace pilots out there who failed some test or check at some time in their career. In fact, often in my experience, the best line operators are the ones who HAVE failed some significant hurdle at some point.

Cheers

Gin Slinger
27th Dec 2003, 02:22
It's nicest from a financial point of view to pass your CPL first time - my ongoing incompetence cost me >£2000!