PDA

View Full Version : Gliding question - non BGA.... UK

Kingy
24th Dec 2003, 23:48
Seasons greetings chaps,

Am I right in thinking that if I bought a glider and operated it myself, from my own field, there would be no need to be BGA affiliated. As such I could pretty much make up my own rules and there would be no formal need for a BGA C of A on the glider.

I'm speaking hypothetically of course ;)

Don't worry, I like living and won't do anything silly - just want to know...

Kingy

chrisN
25th Dec 2003, 00:57
Legally, you are correct (at present).

You only have to obey the ANO and Rules of the air etc. in as much as they apply to gliders, which does not include a requirement for CofA, pilot license, etc. I believe it is analogous to buying and operating a boat, or a cycle.

Furthermore it has been done. Many gliding clubs started like that, and it is still possible. At any point in time there have usually been one or more operations outside the BGA. Usually at least one of the operators in any such outfit had some gliding experience.

Such operations almost always either close or join the BGA within a short time, for several reasons including needing the use of the BGA infrastructure or organisation. Also, getting a glider off the ground usually requires some equipment and some other people on the ground, which is easier in some sort of club.

There has even been the odd case where somebody decided to teach themselves, I have been told. Not a recommended route, though, and tends a bit expensive in repairs etc..

EASA plans to change all that. There will be a licencing and CofA regime. Details not yet worked out. Date tbe.

Chris N.

Kingy
25th Dec 2003, 01:57
Thanks for that Chris,

I have gliding experience as do my fellow airstrip owning chums, I'm looking to do some more gliding as I miss it. What I don't miss however is the 'hauling gliders around all day just to get one flight' thing that is the norm in gliding.

Looks like I've found a sound, light, and above all cheap glider and I'm looking at various options.

My strip started as a private glider site over 50 years ago. They used bungee launch and also aerotowed with an Auster I believe.

I fancy the idea of reliving those days, but I don't know whether the idea will ever get off the ground... (bad pun sorry) I've made discreet inquiries to a couple of local clubs regarding their old winches, but they don't seem very keen on letting a private individual buy them - can't think why!:D

Right, I'm off to drink some beer... well it is Christmas after all...:ok:

Cheers

Kingy

Genghis the Engineer
25th Dec 2003, 05:35
Until 28 September you could, now all new gliders have to have an EASA CofA.

I believe that this is called progress.

G

Wot No Engines
27th Dec 2003, 17:19
Genghis,

I believe that this change was suspended for now (along with a few others).

Arclite01
28th Dec 2003, 04:22
I started at a non BGA operation back in the mid 80's

It is possible and was a lot of fun in the early days. However some points:-

1. Make sure you have insurance, if the glider is a 2 seater make sure you have third party liability on the front seat. First problem, if you have a shunt and the passenger P2 is hurt or killed and you don't have a recognised instructor rating (BGA or ATC) you may find that the insurers won't pay out

2. A BGA CofA is required by insurers. They won't pay out if they think the glider was operated in an un-airworthy condition.

3. You'd be mad to get in a glider that had not at least had a quick bit of maintenance done on it.......... particularly worth having a 'cheap' glider checked out..........

4. You cannot operate for hire and reward without a CPL. No glider CPL exists and clubs get around this by treating flights as 'instruction by a club member' or 'trial lessons'

5. Winches can be brought by individuals. Put an ad in 'Sailplane and Gliding' stating what you want - someone might have one for sale. The reason they don't want to sell is that a spare winch is sensible to have and hold on to as they tend to break easily and often. Also be aware that many don't meet current H&S requirements so watch out......... and spares are often non-existent as they are often handbuilt.

6. Your site needs to be registered with the CAA as they list sites where cables are used. I beleieve the requirement now is cables over 60 metres (??) you are limited to cables of 2000' with dispensation from CAA (maybe 3000' now). On that basis and points 5 & 6 above you are best off aerotowing. Better value, more air time and less complex if you have a tug.........

That's all - enjoy !! If you want some more info then PM me

cheers

Arc

:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
29th Dec 2003, 01:33
Wot No Engines

I believe that the rulechange has for now been suspended for existing gliders, but I think that CAA will (unless, and good luck to them, BGA succeed in their European-level lobbying) stand on ceremony for the time being for any glider that is new to the UK since 28 September.

G