PDA

View Full Version : Russian Private Aircraft

llamedos
24th Dec 2003, 21:11
Does anyone know what the current situation is with certification on Russian private aircraft in the UK.

Thinking of buying one and could do with some useful comments

83 3708
24th Dec 2003, 22:08
It will depend upon what type you are considering.

Does the design have a recognised civillian type certificate?
Is it ex-military?

Regards

llamedos
28th Dec 2003, 18:20
83 3708

That's the problem, I am not sure what is ok and what's not. I was hoping to get either the Yak 54/55 or Sukhoi 26/29. I don't know where to get this information.

aiglon
28th Dec 2003, 19:48
llamedos,

Try here (http://www.russianaeros.com/Registration%20issue.htm). I corresponded with them a while back and found them very helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't buy but that was because my circumstances changed :*

Aiglon

83 3708
29th Dec 2003, 17:20
Backing up Aiglons post, for a more informative answer contact RGA for the Sukhoi's and Yak Uk (www.yakuk.co.uk)
for info on the Yak's.

As the Yak 54 is advertised as being type certificated it should be acceptable for a UK C of A, but as no examples of this aircraft have been placed on the UK register yet it may be a lengthy job to get the paperwork sorted out.

The Yak 55 is now on the Uk register but I do not know if that is on a Permit to Fly or C of A. (probably a C of A as I cannot see the aircraft as being ex military!)

Whatever you decide be sure to ask questions regarding maintenance requirements, particularly if there are any airframe life and overhaul life stipulations such as the ones the Yak 52 has run into recently.

Regards

llamedos
2nd Jan 2004, 19:26
Thanks for this valuable information. The trouble with only speaking to the dealers when you don't really know what to ask is that they are unlikely to volanteer any detrimental information

Keef
3rd Jan 2004, 04:06
Friend of mine has a Yak52 with a G-reg. It's on a CAA Permit to Fly. I think that is the only way with a 52.

You can't take it to France, and you can't fly over built-up areas or in IMC etc.
Good fun, though. We went to the PFA Rally in it.

Southern Cross
4th Jan 2004, 05:03
I think that, in general, if the Sukhoi 26/29 is built after 1993, it is ineligible for a Permit to Fly in the UK because that is the date that has been "determined" as being the last year in which they qualified as being used by the military. So go for an earlier built aeroplane.

Yak 54 I have no idea, but suggest you contact Mark Jefferies at www.yakuk.com

He knows rhyme and verse on those types.

Yak 55 will be eligible for a Permit to Fly provided built before 1993, which I think they all were. They are not C of A aeroplanes and do have "military" history as were flown by DOSAAF. Likewise, I think, the Sukhois.

llamedos
5th Jan 2004, 21:41
Thanks for all the info, sounds complicated, but at least now I have more idea than I did