PDA

View Full Version : FAA or JAA IR?

Rupert S
24th Dec 2003, 05:55
Ultimately, I'd like to get an IR so I can fly in airways and Class A in and outside the UK. I realise that the FAA IR is easier and cheaper to get. Assuming at the moment that I have no intention to go commercial, what would you all recommend, what are the pros and cons of each, what's involved in each, etc?
I realise that if I was to do the JAA IR it would probably be within my interests and go that bit further to get a frozen ATPL or CPL/IR
Many thanks in advance
Rupert S.

Fly Stimulator
24th Dec 2003, 14:46
2Donkeys has written a good article on this very thing in the current issue of 'Flyer'.

The FAA IR is certainly a much more accessible qualification for recreational pilots, but you do subsequently need an N-reg aircraft to go with it.

One of the main things which puts the JAA IR out of reach for many people is the time and money which would have to be committed to the exams. As you suggest, if you did go for the JAA IR then you'd be putting so much into the exams anyway that it would seem like a good idea to go for at least the CPL while you're at it; a friend of mine is thinking along just those lines at the moment.

There's an organisation called PPL/IR who promote the IR for private pilots. They have a good website at http://www.pplir.org/ which is certainly worth a look.