PDA

View Full Version : Propellerhead

bcfc
24th Dec 2003, 03:21
I've just finished reading 'Propellerhead', by Antony Woodward and what a fantastic book it was. Probably the most entertaining flying book I've read.

For those with a copy, dig it out and re-read page 241 (well, end of page 240 and over to 242). This one small section sums up my flying and how I feel about it. I haven't met anyone who shared these sentiments before and it was a joy to find someone articulate them in print.

For those who haven't read it yet get onto Amazon and treat yourself.

Happy Christmas all!

-bcfc

futurshox
24th Dec 2003, 03:26
Seconded. A marvellous book, and very funny. I really must get my copy back off my father...

IO540
24th Dec 2003, 03:26
I read the book (very amusing) but don't have it anymore. Are you referring to his conclusion that flying would never fulfil his original objective: to improve his sex life? He ought to have realised that one by doing a simple anorak count at his local airfield :O

Evo
24th Dec 2003, 04:10
Halfway through reading it myself - very good, especially "the cows just got smaller" :ok:

Fly Stimulator
24th Dec 2003, 04:28
It is indeed an excellent book. I first read it when I was supposed to be reading the collected works of Trevor Thom instead - Woodward was rather more compelling!

He does an excellent job of describing the joys of flying. His evocation of the microlight world is pretty accurate too, as well as very funny. One of the things I particularly enjoyed though was all the wonderful flying quotes he had dug out.

Highly recommended.

Mr Wolfie
24th Dec 2003, 05:23
It is on my Christmas list so (if I have been a good boy) Santa should be bringing me a copy. After all these positive comments am looking forward to reading it.

Lowtimer
24th Dec 2003, 14:03
It is a very funny and remarkably honest book, full of heart, and I love it dearly. I have bought four copies - three of the original hardback edition, which I have lent to various people and never seen again, it's that kind of book. Recently went forth and bought yet another (paperback, bah!) for my own exclusive use, and NO-ONE is getting this one away from me.

Max AirFactor
24th Dec 2003, 16:18
I read this and a couple of weeks later booked my first lesson - great book.

But who needs 'Lift Girl' once you're behind the controls of a Spamcan MkII with go faster stripes. :cool:

MAF

AerBabe
24th Dec 2003, 17:35
I started reading it when I was staying at Whirlybird's cottage and meant to be writing my thesis. I never did finish reading it! Lowtimer, I'm sure you said you'd lend me a copy... It's the kind of book I'd like to write if I were to put fingers to keyboard about my flying.

stiknruda
24th Dec 2003, 17:49
A super book, I read it a couple of years ago(?) when it first came out and recently re-read it on a trip to the States.

Living in Norfok, I can identify quite a few of the locations and some of the people!

Lindsay the instructress in Swaziland taught me to fly in her C150 a long time ago! Sadly she and her husband, John were murdered in Mbabane in Jan 2001.

Wonder if Woodward still flies? Wonder what his real name is?

Stik

AerBabe
24th Dec 2003, 17:53
Keef?

Rupert S
24th Dec 2003, 22:00
I've had a look for this book but can't find it. Anyone know where I can get a copy?

Lowtimer
24th Dec 2003, 22:22
AB,

I had been hoping part of my loan stock would work its way back to me, but it hasn't. Nevertheless, email me your current snail mail address and I'll send you your very own copy, it's Christmas after all, and you've been very good this year.

Rupert S,

It's available at the online book store named after the South American jungle., a power search for Propellorhead an Woodward as author's name brings it up.

(Edit- Try Propellerhead as well as Propellorhead, I can't remember which spelling it comes up under, or indeed which is correct, and I've had too many mince pies and too much sherry to go looking for it now)

Fly Stimulator
24th Dec 2003, 22:24
Rupert S,

Try online - Amazon.co.uk are listing both the hardback and paperback editions at the moment for example.

Edit in response to Lowtimer's edit - 'Propellerhead' is the one! :)

Lowtimer
24th Dec 2003, 22:31
Blimey, Fly Stim, you beat me to it. Fast work old boy (hic!)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Dec 2003, 22:38
Page 240 is blank in my 2001 hardback copy, page 241 being the start of a new chapter.

I thought the book OK, but a long way short of Bach, Lecomber, or Gann in ability to express in writing what flight is all about. IMHO of course ;~)

SSD

Fly Stimulator
24th Dec 2003, 22:39
Lowtimer,

The trouble is that I'm sitting in front of a PC instead of a glass. Must go and fix that right away!

Happy Christmas!:p

springers
25th Dec 2003, 01:35
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. For me it not only articulates the highs and lows of private flying, but also gives the best insight available to the thinking and experiences of a microlight pilot.

Would also recommend "Flying With Angels" by Kevin Rutland.

Merry Christmas

Springers

Fly Stimulator
25th Dec 2003, 02:10
Interesting how tastes sometimes overlap and sometimes differ. "Flying With Angels" is the only flying book I own which I regard as having been a waste of money.

Whereas Antony Woodward's writing has been likened to that of Nick Hornby, Kevin Rutland's plodding prose reminds me strongly of Mr Pooter! (http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/humor/TheDiaryofaNobody/chap0.html)

springers
25th Dec 2003, 04:24
I guess it depends on where you're coming from! I read "Flying With Angels" when I had decided I was going to return to flying after about 20 years. The book fired up my curiosity about microlights, whereas I had previously been a PA28 driver.

I had a trial flight in a weight shift machine and was hooked. During my training I had a few "moments" when I could really relate to Kevin Rutland's experiences.

There is a wonderful purity in flying a weightshift machine at about 50 knots, with fantastic all-round visibility, whilst "feeling" the air you are flying through; I think Kevin Rutland describes that sensation well. I don't think the experience is the same in a CT2K.

Cheers

Springers

Rupert S
25th Dec 2003, 06:14
Thanks for the tip on Amazon, I looked there initially but must have misspelled it - "propellor" I imagine - Thanks :ok:

...and a merry Christmas to all :}

Fly Stimulator
25th Dec 2003, 07:21
I don't think the experience is the same in a CT2K. I wouldn't argue with that. ;)

Actually, I have no idea what flexwing flying is like at all but as I mentioned in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111725) I'd love to find out. PM me if you want to exchange flights!

It's just the writing style that seemed very flat to me in the Rutland book compared to 'Propellerhead', but of course that's a very subjective thing. In terms of determination to fly I take my hat off to both of them.

I notice it has gone midnight, so Happy Christmas everybody! :ok:

Whirlybird
25th Dec 2003, 19:26
I thoroughly enjoyed it. :ok: I only wish I'd written it! :{

Fly Stimulator
30th Dec 2003, 20:19
While we're on the subject of Antony Woodward's writings, here's an article (http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-4-61-475.jsp) of his which I think captures some of the joys of flying very well.

It ends with this:

But what is the most important thing? Because flying has such disarmingly specific minimum proficiency requirements – do things right, I live; do them wrong, I don’t – a flight that I return from safely is a perfect, unarguable parcel of proof of being in control and on top of things. It is not an impression. For the time I am flying, I am in control; I have to be.

However out of control the rest of my life seems – and frequently it seems very out of control indeed – flying has the soothing effect of demonstrating that not everything is as out of control as I might think. The effect, ironically, is to earth and ground me, to make me feel real. It is this, more than anything, which makes the afterglow so incomparable. "I am convinced that a judicious participation in aeroplaning provides a man with a fine mental tonic" wrote the great British pioneer aviator Claude Grahame-White in 1911. "I hear people very often talking about 'Brain Fag'. Businessmen, too, complain very often that they want a change and need 'bucking up'. I already foresee that, in future, flying will come to be regarded as one of the greatest health givers. It will not be long, in my opinion, before doctors tell ailing men to go in for a course of aviation."

Single-engine flying in Britain is frustrating at the best of times. The flying I do, in an open cockpit, is simultaneously slow and tiring, uncomfortable and inconvenient. As a method of getting from A to B, it is less efficient than a car, and probably less efficient than a bicycle. But as a way of taking me away from the nagging uncertainties of life, that single engine – even if it is a misfiring 500 cc two-stroke pinched from a Snowmobile – is a highly effective mode of transport.

AerBabe
30th Dec 2003, 21:12
I'll send you your very own copy Awww, thank you Lowtimer! :O Email coming your way...