PDA

View Full Version : LGW/RAK Emergency 16/12/03

Jordan D
23rd Dec 2003, 16:45
Was flying LGW-RAK (Marrakech) last Tuesday. Just before take off, plane landed and was followed in by fire crews to remote hold. Looked like a BA jet ... can anyone give me more information?

My flight itself was not without incident. Left LGW, and within 45 minutes above Bay of Biscay had to delcare emergency to divert to Nantes Atlanique, due to smoke/fumes in the cockpitof the A320. Pilots were on Oxygen (could here them breathing heavily from their masks when the talked to the cabin). Well executed landing, and we were on the ground within 10 minutes.

Full marks to crew/cabin staff for all their help (especially with giving us something for our ears: 39000ft down to sea level in 10 minutes is not fun). Full marks for the replacement crew who flew a 737-300 down from Gatwick to pick us up then go on to RAK - FO of that crew said they were meant to be going to East Midlands to deliver aircraft to new owner.

Zero Marks for Nantes Staff, who were unfriendly at best, and unhelpful most of the time. Even worse marks for treating soem diplomats very badly. And no marks to Brussells, who refused the Nantes-Marrakech flight plan 3 times, leading to the pilots having to get their charts out and do the plan by hand!

Jordan

hh rip
23rd Dec 2003, 20:55
Who were you flying with?

Jet II
23rd Dec 2003, 21:29
GB Airways - BA franchise operator

Jordan D
23rd Dec 2003, 22:43
Can someone tell me why GB operate the route, seeing as the planes, interiors, food, just about everything are the same as BA?

Jordan

Jet II
23rd Dec 2003, 22:50
GB have a cheaper operation to run - their lower costs allow them to make a profit on routes that BA cannot.

Jordan D
23rd Dec 2003, 23:04
But isn't GB a wholly owned Subsiduary? In which case, why not just call it BA, and do the last 10%!

Jordan

PS - are the A321s that they operate new this year?

Jet II
23rd Dec 2003, 23:51
No - GB is fully owned by a separate company.

I think the 321's were delivered this year or late last year at the earliest.

HolyMoley
24th Dec 2003, 18:08
Duff gen - first GB A321 came in Feb 2001.:p

Jordan D
25th Dec 2003, 17:19
GB is fully owned by a separate company.

Really? Which other routes do they operate (non-BA ones)?

Jordan

Jet II
25th Dec 2003, 23:27
HoleyMoley

I stand corrected.

Jordan D - I don't think they operate any non BA Franchise flights. More information on their company can be found here (http://www.gbairways.com/new_html/company/company.asp)

LatviaCalling
26th Dec 2003, 05:25
Jordan,

Where have you been hiding? GB operates under BA colors most of the routes to Spain, Portugal, Morocco and the islands. By the way, compared to the freezer-cold deli sandwich that BA dishes out, GB, at least last season, gave out a hot meal in cattle class. My hat is off to GB. Good and friendly people.

Jordan D
26th Dec 2003, 06:30
Thanks ... all the info most appreciated. And yes, the hot meal was good in Economy (both Breakfast on the original flight, and Dinner on the evening replacement).

Jordan