PDA

View Full Version : PPL question

Aerofoil
23rd Dec 2003, 08:17
Hi all

I was just wondering if someone could help me out a little. I want to get ahead of the game for my next flying lesson (PPL/A) so i have a question.

Lets say im flying from Welshpool to Liverpool... on First contact with liverpool what do i need to say? (i.e. PA38 inbound from Welshpool etc etc etc)

Thanks in advance

From a forward thinking PPLer! :ok: :cool:

Fly Stimulator
23rd Dec 2003, 14:55
Everything you need is in CAP 413. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.pdf)

BEagle
23rd Dec 2003, 16:05
True. It is all in CAP 413. But my advice is:

1. Don't give your life history on initial contact. Something like "Liverpool, this is G-ABCD" should suffice; they'll then tell you to standby, go-ahead or contact them on another frequency. Know how to acknowledge that - without getting too bogged down in the 'wun too tree daysimal fower fife' business.

2. If told to go aheead, just tell them:
Who you are: G-ABCD, PA38 from Welshpool to Liverpool.
Where you are: Approaching the Scousetown VRP at 2500ft on 1016
What you want: Request Flight Information Service

They will then ask for whatever else they need.

Above all, keep it simple, note the microphone technique described in CAP413 and the relevant safety leaflet - and if you don't understand what they say, don't be afraid to request them to "Say again".

Congratulations on your very commendable intention of getting ahead of the game to prepare yourself for your next lesson!

FlyingForFun
23rd Dec 2003, 16:50
Agree with BEagle - except that you said you were inbound to Liverpool, in which case the "What" would be "Request joining instructions" as opose to "Request Flight Information Service." Also, I don't have my airfield guide to hand, but off the top of my head I would guess that Liverpool have an arrival ATIS, in which case you would include this too.

Note that, because Liverpool has ATC, you request joining instructions. For a field with either A/G or AFIS, you can not be given instructions in the air, so you would request joining information instead.

FFF
-------------

Maxflyer
23rd Dec 2003, 16:58
RT terrified me at first and I was convinced every time I spoke I would just sound like a blithering idiot (my wife says that's normal) So I bought an air band receiver and when travelling around I would tune into various frequencies and listen to the experienced aviators - I soon learnt that they were no different to me! In general I let the receiving party know who I am, where I'm from, where I am at that present moment, where I want to go, how high I am what QNH I'm on and what service I want. It can also help to use little post it notes with the relevent calls already written (just fill in the blanks) and tear them off your knee board when you've made the call. Most importantly, I found that "Say again" is a call that will allow you to take more time in understanding what's being said. I have found most ATC's more than helpful and if you mention that you are a student they will make an extra effort. Just remember to clear up all the post it notes when you land:p

FlyingForFun
23rd Dec 2003, 17:18
But, whatever you do, please don't do what I heard yesterday:

"Somewhere Radio, helicoptor Commercial 5, we're about 3 miles south of your southern boundary, we'd like to fly over your boundary, to the west of the airfield, and then we'll position to the fuel bowser for fuel, a rotors-running refuel I think, and after we've refueled we'll shut down, maybe taxi to the parking area first and then shut down and, erm, after we've shut down, we'll, well, we'll go and get a cup of tea or something."

Actual quote, almost word-for-word, with the name of the airfield and the callsign changed for anonymity, but the callsign very obviously belonged to a commercial operator. :hmm:

FFF
---------------

knobbygb
23rd Dec 2003, 17:25
As well as knowing exactly what to say, also be sure to have a good idea in your head what you expect them to say in return. If you know roughly what to expect, it's a lot easier to assimilate that information.

I've never flown into LPL, but from experience of other class D airports, I would expect them to clear you to enter the zone via a particular report point or entry/exit lane at, or below a specific altitude. For example, if approaching from the SW, you COULD expect somthing like:

G-xx is cleared to enter the zone via the Chester VRP, not above 2000ft nnnn(Mb), remain east of the M53 and report abeam Chester.

Finally, get a copy of the Local Flying Entry/Exit procedures from the NATS website here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/32GP0401.PDF) (regsitration is required and free) and study this before you go. Having copied the ATIS, you'll already know the local QFE and runway in use, so you'll know exactly what to expect when you make that first call.

Saab Dastard
24th Dec 2003, 06:52
Aerofoil,

On first contact I suggest you say "Liverpool approach, G-ABCD inbound" -

"Inbound" makes it clear that your destination is Liverpool and therefore what service(s) you require and "approach" shows the controller that you understand the ATC procedures and expect to subsequently talk to tower.

Leave all the rest - where you are, where you've come from etc. - until asked, as others have said.

One thing - if you've been listening on the frequency and it isn't too busy, you might expand slightly to say "inbound from the South" (or N/E/W as appropriate) as it may help the controller co-ordinate your arrival.

SD

Ian_Wannabe
24th Dec 2003, 07:58
I'll second Maxflyer. For my 12th birthday I was bought an airband scanner, and for 7 years I've listened to it like a religion :O

Highly recommend it - if it doesnt help with remembering the order of "who, what, where" etc it'll most definatly make you sound confident.

Good luck :ok:

Whirlybird
24th Dec 2003, 21:58
As it happens, Welshpool to Liverpool was the first flight I ever did to an airfield in class D airspace, as a very very new PPL(A). I wasn't a PPRuNer at the time, was terrified of the whole thing, and took a more experienced pilot with me, asking him just sit there unless I couldn't cope. RT went something like this:

Whirly: Liverpool approach, this is G-XXXX
Liverpool: G-XXXX pass your message
Whirly (consulting kneeboard): G-XXXX is a PA38 inbound to you from Welshpool, presently 5 miles south-east, request joining instructions.
Liverpool passes QFE and all other expected info, then says: "Report Insch (can't spell it)". Whirly repeats it all back like a good little PPL, then turns to more-experienced-pilot in mild panic and says: "Where the hell is Insch?!!!" More-experienced-pilot grins and points out the two towers which are - or were - a commonly used reporting point if approaching from the south. So...bear that one in mind. But all I really needed to do was repeat back the QFE etc, then say something like "Not familiar with the local area; where's Insch?" No crime in not knowing, and they'd either have told me, or given me something more obvious as a reporting point.

It's worth remembering that RT is about COMMUNICATION primarily. If the words you need aren't in CAP 413, ask briefly, in plain English. Another example of doing this:

Whirly and friend are approaching Ireland over the Irish Sea, bound for Waterford, and talking to Shannon:

Shannon: Report XXXX
(Whirly consults chart, but XXXX is definitely not there.)
Whirly: Shannon, sorry but we can't find XXXX on our chart.
Shannon (sounding amused, and as though talking to two mad foreigners): OK, report YYYY. Do you have that on your chart then?

There are human beings on the other end of that radio. :ok: