PDA

View Full Version : Best Airports to Visit in Florida

VORTIME
23rd Dec 2003, 05:26
Hi folks,

Which airport(s) would you guys recommend I visit while in Florida next week?

VT

FWA NATCA
23rd Dec 2003, 06:02
VOR TIME,

If you have the time fly down to Key West for a day, it is kind of like New Orleans, but without the majority of the sleeze. You can certainly understand why people go down to the keys to visit and forget to leave. Awesome weather, beautiful women, easy pace of live.

With careful research you can usually find reasonable priced hotel rooms. I've heard of several people using priceline.com during the very day that they were down there finding lodging.

Mike

Bluebeard
23rd Dec 2003, 06:42
Spent a very happy week flitting about Florida at the back end of October - made a point of dropping in to as many airfields as possible, simply because I could! So here's a few:

Kissimmee Gateway - my home base for the week. Not a hugely interesting town in itself, but the airfield has lots to keep pilots happy : the museum, a warbird restoration outfit, and Warbird Adventures who will let you fly their T6s and MASH chopper (apologies to rotay fans, can't remember the type..:confused: )

Venice Beach - 20 minutes walk to Sharky's beach restaurant and a fabulous beach. Fantastic.:D

Lakeland - in the middle of...Lakeland. Which is quite pretty. Ditto Winter Haven.

Ocala - nice traditional pilot's diner. Not much else around the airfield, but Lonely Planet really rates the town. About 9 miles to the North West is Greystone, where Travolta keeps his little toy (a vintage Boeing 707:oh: )

Crystal Lake - didn't get out of the airfield, but the town and surrounding area looked beautiful.

Also visited Donnellen/Marion County, Port Charlotte, and Bartow. All sleepy but pleasant enough.

Whereever you go, you can't go too far wrong. You'll have a GREAT time.:ok:

Oscar Duece
23rd Dec 2003, 18:53
First one top avoid. Everglades city: Some nasty cross winds / thermals and crock infested waters as the overrun !. Know someone who visited in a C150 and stuffed it. (also check your insurance small print, this guy has not covering because lda was less than 1000 yds, was arrested and had to pay for plane before flying home)
(said rental compnay them took 'written off' cessna they had received full payment for, straightnend out bent tail and put back in air, just north of Daytona ??).

Friendly if a little sleepy place I found was Keystone, three runways and a good coffee, chat, browse over some lovely ww2 kit in storage.

People often rave about Cedar key on the west coast, but never been there.

As for kisseme and those T6's. I'll be strapping one on before I leave. :ok:

treadigraph
23rd Dec 2003, 19:42
Second Oscar Deuce's recommendation to avoid Everglades City - both thresholds abut the water's edge, so the possibility of a rather more than firm arrival can catch out the unwary! I speak from experience!

Key West is worth the trip, also some interesting vintage aircraft at both Tamiami and Space Coast Executive. Trip up the east coast shoreline from Miami northwards is fun - you have to stay a mile out to sea and not above 1000 in ther KMIA vicinity IIRC. KFLL you need to be much lower, or they will route you overhead if you prefer! And why not visit Winterhaven and have a go in one of Jack Brown's water-going J-3s?

Enjoy your trip.

S-Works
24th Dec 2003, 01:11
North Perry, Pelican Aviation are ace, British run. Marathon was a nice stop off on the way to Key West. Naples is pretty cool as well. Titusvilles is fantatsic especially as it a 10 minute taxi ride into the space centre and you land along side the shuttles which are only a couple of miles away. Pompano beach was not bad either.

At the end of the day pretty much anywhere is fantatsic over there as they love aviation!

I am going over again in the New Year and will hopefully fly across to the Islands and maybe even north out of florida!

knobbygb
24th Dec 2003, 05:44
Have to step in here to defend Everglades Airpark. OK, so it's only 2400ft and the overrun is non-existent, but if you're comfortable with that distance and fly properly, you shouldn't have any problems. It was one of my favourite destinations on my last short trip to Florida and I easily made the turn off half way along the runway, 2-up in a Warrior. OK, so I learned to fly on 2000ft of grass, so I might be biased. I do know that some rental companies won't allow you to go into places shorter than a particular given length (I've seen both 3000 and 4000 feet quoted), so do check the smallprint on your rental agreement first.

This (http://www.pbase.com/image/13395750) pic shows the lack of overrun and the trees, if anyone's interested.

I didn't notice any thermals, but I can imagine there'd be a few odd winds off all those trees around the Western approach (bottom left of pic) on a warmer day. The tourist boats sometimes stop at the end of the runway to watch aircraft land and depart - I think I cleared the one in the pic by about 10 feet.

DOC.400
24th Dec 2003, 17:06
Do visit the museum at Kissimmee and you MUST visit Kermit Weekes 'Planes of Fames' museum just down the road.

Try and get on a 'back lot' or 'restoration' tour -fantastic!

DOC

GRP
24th Dec 2003, 18:29
Cedar Key is fun..... pics below

First one is taken a few miles away looking out into the haze... it's in there somewhere!

http://www.gpaviation.co.uk/images/ckapp.jpg

Flying past to get a good look at the runway...

http://www.gpaviation.co.uk/images/ckrunway.jpg

And then on the ground.....

http://www.gpaviation.co.uk/images/ckdown.jpg

Knobbygb,

Just had a look at the rest of your 'Naples' photos. Very nice... I was there in October flying 980AC.

Just one thing.... are you sure about your caption on the very last photo?

xlax
24th Dec 2003, 19:05
I'll second that - Cedar Key is a wonderful little place to go to. The local cabby listens out on frequency and rolls up at the aurport to give you a lift in a big yellow taxi (this was in 1996). The airfield is often deserted so I would mention you want a cab in case he is listening.

MLS-12D
24th Dec 2003, 23:27
I second the recommendation re Venice aerodrome (http://www.florida.flyer.co.uk/venice.html). Nice place, good people (Huffman Aviation), uncrowded beach. Sharkies is great for some apre-fly eating and drinking.

On the east coast, Fort Pierce (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFPR) and Stuart (http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/KSUA.htm) are also friendly places to vist.

As others have said, Florida is a flyer's paradise, and you'll have fun wherever you go.

MLS-12D

P.S. You might be interested in these pilots' reviews of places to eat (http://www.pilotwait.com/florida.htm)

knobbygb
25th Dec 2003, 00:28
GRP, of course, I meant BACKground, behind the truck. So do you have a link to any more photo's then?

GRP
25th Dec 2003, 00:53
I do have a couple.... this is one of my favourites....

Miami Beach from about 1500 feet....

http://www.gpaviation.co.uk/images/PA260024.JPG

GARDENER
27th Dec 2003, 16:31
Spent a couple of months in Florida (Winter Haven) 0 time to PPL,IMC,Night,Multi 180hrs total. Excellent time and can't think of a field I would not like to return to.....except a certain landing (unpowered) in someones front yard! Favourites include the aforementioned Everglades Airpark, Cedar Key and one just South of Orlando just North of the unmissable Lake ???. Think it's called Orlando Country. Very narrow tarmac. Also thouroughly enjoyed Sanford and McCoy and of course space center or is it centre? Wherever you go I am sure you will enjoy it. Just remember if you are hour building don't just fly into the wild blue yonder, make it worthwhile and set yourself some goals.
Cross City did or do exceedingly good food if N/bound

InTheAir
28th Dec 2003, 04:08
GRP, is that last pic of N**401 ?

Greystoke999
29th Dec 2003, 01:50
Dont forget Sebring!
I got a great buzz taxiing in on my Cross country nav-ex in a warrior from KGIF, to be greeted by a buggy and marshaller!! (just about remembered what the hand signals meant!)
They have some great stuff at the airfield relating to the race rack and aircraft.

InTheAir
29th Dec 2003, 21:22
I second that Greystoke,

Fab field, wide as you like. Always was a challenge taking off from the correct runway though (for me anyways).

Incidently I also flew there in a Warrior from GIF. Let's say no more Britannia boy :ok:

FougaMagister
29th Dec 2003, 22:01
On top of me head, I would recommend Merrit Island just south of Cape Kennedy (runway extends over the water), also Crystal River on the Gulf of Mexico (quite sedate airfield but nice area), Orlando/Sanford (because the local FBO provides you with a car free of charge even if you don't uplift AVGAS), Boca Raton (right in the middle of town with motorways around it - interesting approach), Naples, Titusville to leave your a/c and go visit Cape Kennedy (they also have a very nice museum), Stuart (because of the good-looking FBO assistants :cool: and free internet access), Daytona Beach to go to Hooters ;) . One could also add Sarasota/Bradenton, Fort Myers RSW and Melbourne to mix it with the "biggies" (A320s, 737s, MD-80s) on the taxiway.

As has been mentionned, you can't go much wrong; most of Florida's airports are nice (even though some might be a bit too quiet). Hava good time :ok:

Ninety-Nines
30th Dec 2003, 09:29
Great 2500' grass strip just north of Lake Wales....lakes at one end, orange groves to the west (you can pick one within a few feet of the runway) and then to the East you have Chalet Suzanne where you can have a refreshment or lunch/dinner. Cute place whose building is on the historical society (old for US but only 1930's:D)

chaletsuzanne.com (http://www.chaletsuzanne.com)

Not you everyday stop as a little pricey on the meals, but you don't have to eat to enjoy it!

Nikki

PS Everglades is a great place! Stop in and talk to the chap from the Antartic.....everyone hears about his bear story :zzz:

jayteeto
3rd Jan 2004, 11:14
Being a gentleman with a fuller figure, I ate my way around florida on a couple of occasions. Flagler has a marvelous restaurant with the unfortunate name of Hijackers. The girls are all gorgeous and wear tight jeans...... Ahhhhhh. Titusville has a fabulous diner that is styled straight out of 'Happy Days'. Be brave, try as many landaways as possible and pass on the food tips to me for my next visit. Hooters at Daytona is already noted!!

Jim Morehead
3rd Jan 2004, 11:59
There are hundreds of airports in Florida. Working northward are Key West. Fun place. Buy gas and then no charge to park for more than an hour.

Sugarloaf at the 17MM is run by a guy named Dan. It was the scene of a parachute jumping movie. Probable $10 overnight fee usually one time. very quaint and parachute rides available. You can ealk to the lodge about 1/2 mile away for a bite to eat. Motel and tiki bar there. Marina.

Summerland Key is at the 25MM,but it is private. You'll have to drive to this one. Nice 2400 strip with homes. I'm under the windsock,but never home it seems. My wife is a new realtor and we plan to place her license with a company soon. One of the few deep water places in the Keys. You can have a boat in the backyard and an airplane in the front yard.

Marathon. Good wide strip. At the Northeast end is self service gas at $2.29 gallon. Tony is the mechanic. War bird and acro rides. Walking distance to some restaurants. Tell Tony I said hi.

Tavenier..A grass strip with private homes. About 1:30 drive from MIA. Boat docks near the houses.

Ocean Reef. Home of expensive homes and private airstrip. Need a friend or realtor to end. Can't land without invitation and insurance papers on file.

FLL Exec (FXE).Busy GA airport and more user friendly than FLL INTL. Customs on field. There was a 1 hour delay for customs today as many returning from 1/1/04 New Years and lots of airplanes. In busy metro area.

That's a brief look at South Florida.

JIM

chrisbl
4th Jan 2004, 07:32
I would support Everglades City as an interesting place to visit. Sure the runway is 2400' but most of us can cope with those back home.
The problem is you get spoilt flying into the average fields that have 5000ftx150ft runways that allow you to get away with poor pitch and power controls.

EC needs you to get the landing right and if the approach is not good go around and have another go.

The "City" is worth a look. It must be one of the smallest cities in the States. You can also go on one of the boat rides and find out all about the Everglades.

chrisbl