PDA

View Full Version : Disney Flight Exclusion Zones

moosp
22nd Dec 2003, 13:37
Anybody know if there are any kind of restricted areas around the Disney entertainment sites at Anaheim, Florida or in France? If so what size are they and what grade of restriction?

Disney in Hong Kong are getting the Hong Kong Government to put up a 5km Restricted Area around their new entertainment complex which might severely restrict local flying. Just wondered if there is a precedent.

Last time I looked at the Helicopter routes chart for the LA basin there was no exclusion zone around Disney - indeed it is a reporting point.

411A
22nd Dec 2003, 13:59
Around Disneyland in Anaheim California there is a TFR, surface to 3000msl, but flight thru same is allowed if in communication with ATC.
Really not all that much of a problem

ChrisVJ
22nd Dec 2003, 15:13
Same at Disney in Florida but I was there last Spring and saw several planes fly thru around 1,000 ft.

FougaMagister
22nd Dec 2003, 18:36
Overfly of Disneyland Paris verboten below 5,000' - but in this area above 1,500' you end up in Class A airspace anyway... :*

Cheers

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd Dec 2003, 18:49
We overflew the Disney Florida attractions out of Kissimee with a local instructor a few years back - no problem. Also flew down the Space Shuttle runway at the Space Centre, and did a touch and go at Orlando Executive.

Great fun

SSD

moosp
22nd Dec 2003, 19:51
Thank you for your reples. The plot thickens.

Disney has a "Temporary" flight restriction over Anaheim which is easily negotiated through ATC. Similar in Florida, but no big deal. Land of the Free.

France, which had particular reasons for attracting Disney has a 5,000 ft restriction (the class A bit is relevant. Lots of us fly in it and object to detours.)

Hong Kong, which had severely particular reasons to attract Disney (we were desperate for the tourism boost after 1997) appears to have rolled over and allowed an unusually large sterile area for "noise" reasons.

Our problem here right now is that the Hong Kong Government have said that the issue is "Confidential" and that the law will be imposed when they see fit. After all, this is China.

I have no problem with a law which prevents four engine jets and hovering helicopters at 500 ft over tourist sites. But I sense a commercial organisation buying airspace. This is the worry.

And yes I have heard that Disney has more lawyers than graphic artists so I shall tread carefully.

stiknruda
22nd Dec 2003, 20:33
Moosg,

Where in HK is the disney complex?

What are the implications for Ocean Park?

Stik

FWA NATCA
23rd Dec 2003, 06:04
Moosp,

I would recommend going to the FAA web site and checking there for current flight restrictions. (Condition Orange is on now).

Mike

moosp
23rd Dec 2003, 08:02
stiknruda,

The Disney site is on the eastern end of Lantau Island, (thats the big one to the west of Hong Kong Island if you are unfamiliar) on the southern side. A place called Pennys bay.

As to how it will effect Ocean Park, either it will take traffic from it or it will increase the market. Your guess.

stiknruda
23rd Dec 2003, 16:19
Thanks for that.

V familiar with HK and most of the outlying Islands, esp those to the south and those in the Western approaches. Ho loi, yi chin, joh-gwoh soi-ging bomban!

Stik