PDA

View Full Version : R/T Phraseology - North Atlantic MNPS

Stanley Eevil
20th Dec 2003, 16:45
Possibly a trivial question, but I `d appreciate the `definitive` from any Shanwick/Gander controllers who are around;

HF position reports: pilot is referring to a position (say, 53N020W) during a routine position report:

Should he say "Five three North, two zero West" or "Five three North, zero two zero West"?

Grateful for any replies; it`s causing some arguments with some of the pilots I work with.

javelin
20th Dec 2003, 19:15
Should be Fife, Tree North surely :E

ETOPS
20th Dec 2003, 19:40
Stanley Eevil

The main requirement for R/T, especially using HF, is the avoidance of misunderstanding. Strictly you should say "zero two zero" but I tend to take my cue from the guys on the ground who usually abreviate to "two zero".

Stanley Eevil
20th Dec 2003, 23:33
Thanks for your reply. Certainly during clearance delivery on 127.65, the Shanwick controllers do abbreviate as you suggest above (53N 20W) so the `extra zero` can`t be that critical ?!

Sleeping
21st Dec 2003, 00:51
Have a look here:

http://users.skynet.be/mns/ptla/mnpsmanual.pdf

It's the ICAO guide so should answer most questions on N Atlantic MNPS airspace procedures.

vascodegama
21st Dec 2003, 02:03
So how many reporting points in the North Atlantic area have a longtitude of more than 100W? I suggest that the first 0 is on no concern.

javelin
22nd Dec 2003, 04:17
I'll get me coat :(

Willit Run
22nd Dec 2003, 04:50
From my experience, the Gander controlers are doing the 020, and the Shanwick guys loosen up a bit and just do the 20. If you look at the N.A Orientation chart, it does say to use the full 020.
Now, from my experience, it really doesn't mater either way, as long as you are clear with your transmission! The controllers are smart and know what your saying whether you say 20 or 020.
As far as your comrades getting upset over that little detail, they need to get a life and probably need to be concentrating on other things that are a bit more important!