PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Accident Reports

Fly Stimulator
19th Dec 2003, 22:24
I followed Mike Cross's link to the AOPA site for the 17th December flights and while there I noticed a series of extracts from supposed WW1 accident reports on their news page here. (http://www.aopa.co.uk/newsfromaopa/aopanews.asp)

There's more than a faint whiff of shaggy dog about them, but they are quite funny nevertheless. Here's a flavour:

It was conceded by all that the pilot had accomplished a brilliant piece of work in landing his disabled machine without damage under the circumstances. It is not with intent to reflect less credit upon his airmanship, but it must be noted that he is a well experienced aviator with over 40 total hours in the air, embracing a wide variety of machines, and this was his seventh forced landing due to complete failure of the engine.

It was doubly unfortunate that upon alighting from his machine he missed the catwalk on the lower airfoil and plunged both legs through the fabric, straddling a rib, from which he received a grievous personal injury. Some thought should be devoted to a means of identifying wing-traversing catwalks to assist aviators in disembarking from their various machines."

dublinpilot
19th Dec 2003, 22:47
Geez...at that rate of engine failures I'd be at 17 by now!!!:ooh: :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

High Wing Drifter
20th Dec 2003, 02:25
[QUOTE]Even with full power applied and the control column fully back, the pilot was unable to regain control. However, upon climbing from the cockpit onto the lower mainplane, the pilot managed to correct the machines altitude, and by skillful manipulation of the flying wires successfully side-slipped into a nearby
meadow./[QUOTE]

God's teeth!! :ooh: :ok: