PDA

View Full Version : Incident at Manchester 17/12/03

HOODED
18th Dec 2003, 02:19
Heard that something happened at Manchester this morning(Engine fire?) causing a temporary runway closure. A Finnair A320 had to divert to LBA for fuel reasons. Anyone got any info on what it was and if all were ok?

bagpuss lives
18th Dec 2003, 03:34
Twas an engine fire (or equivalent warning light - we don't hear about the aftermath until later on) on an outbound Airbus prompting a speedy and ultra-professional return to EGCC exquisitely executed by all concerned - as usual :)

Lots of fuel related diversions away from EGCC followed due to the poor vis at the time (800m at best) and possible impending closure of the runway.

HOODED
18th Dec 2003, 03:41
Thanks Nightflite, glad all went ok and no one injured, sounds like another non event really. It's just the usual "Engine on fire, mass panic.....etc etc" being passed on in the telling I guess.:ok:

HOVIS
20th Dec 2003, 05:48
Dodgy fire wire loop on No1 engine apparently. Good job by all concerned. Aircraft servicable later the same day.:ok:

A300Man
20th Dec 2003, 06:39
Who did the Airbus belong to? (The one involved in the incident - not the AY one).

Waveman
20th Dec 2003, 06:46
Heard two maydays from BA within 5 mins - first the MAN shuttle with engine fire indications and then another into BHX with low fuel. Both well handled by ATC.

21st Dec 2003, 14:19
What happened at WAL....seemed to be one controller on his own working all sectors at Manchester Centre...saw the potential hit and tried to phone....couldn't get through. Did the SMF spot it or will it be an under-the-carpet job?

We have had a reply at the Towers from a controller at MACC, and I'm sure he won't mind me anonymously putting the gist of it here...
I can assure you that no incident took place over WAL. I made
enquiries yesterday and we are at a loss to understand this post.
It may be a malicious act or based on the fact that 3 miles radar
separation is all that's required.... Manchester Area never reduces to fewer than 2 sectors and that was the case for most of Saturday afternoon when traffic loading was very light.... ..Had an incident occured the Separation Montior Function would have picked it up and it would now be on the National Database.
This may be a Rumour forum, but I'm not convinced there wasn't some malice behind this post. Please don't abuse the privilege of anonymity in such a way, it does nothing for the allied professions around aviation. Squid.

sevenforeseven
21st Dec 2003, 17:16
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!ZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bagpuss lives
21st Dec 2003, 19:12
055166k - not really the right time and certainly not the right place to discuss things like that I feel.

22nd Dec 2003, 15:32
Correct...then stop flag waving when you do your job properly!

bagpuss lives
22nd Dec 2003, 23:57
Well...........it happens so rarely :p

My praise in this case was directed towards the crew of said aircraft - there's no need to praise anyone else concerned as it's taken as read that we ("we" as in Manchester - not specifically me or my watch / department / gang of thieves and rogues) do a good, safe, expeditious, orderly and professional job - much like you boys and girls down south of course ;)