PDA

View Full Version : NotamPlot v2

ianfallon
17th Dec 2003, 17:35
Hi all,

Thought you might interested in the following press release:

http://www.flyer.co.uk/news/newsfeed.php?artnum=89

I will be re-enabling the website in Jan and the software will be downloadable from there too (http://www.notamplot.flyer.co.uk)

Cheers,

Ian Fallon

dublinpilot
17th Dec 2003, 19:12
Excellent news!

Thanks a million for your work Ian :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Timothy
17th Dec 2003, 20:45
In my opinion NotamPlot is one of the most important things we can have to make our flying safer and more legal.

It has been a real problem that AIS blew it out of the water however many months ago and we should all thank Ian to the skies for the effort he has put into providing this service and to AvBrief for making it available to us all.

W

stillin1
18th Dec 2003, 00:52
Thanks Ian - great bit o kit & a huge step towards safer GA. Criminal shame the powers that be didn't steal the idea ages ago and produce such an easily usable programme of thier own when they mucked the notam revamp up in the first place.:cool:

QDMQDMQDM
18th Dec 2003, 02:41
You star, Ian! Thank-you.

david viewing
18th Dec 2003, 06:49
Ian

If there was justice in the world then a certain Mr. Jagger might have been passed over to make space for you!

David

bcfc
18th Dec 2003, 17:05
Ian

I shall be one of the first in line. All power to your elbow, sir!

-bcfc

Cabin doors 2 manual
24th Dec 2003, 01:04
Check out www.notamcheck.com (http://www.notamcheck.com) Its making waves around flying clubs over the last few months.

It plots NOTAMs graphically as their true shape and works with the free NATS data.

Also decodes aerodrome briefs into true English - no unknown abbreviations.

Screenshots and a downloadable 30 day trial on website. The software is always under constant development adding pilots new ideas.

Courtman
24th Dec 2003, 16:58
I've tried NOTAMcheck and found it to be way short of what Ian did with the first NOTAMplot software. I'm looking forward to NOTAMplot v2 coming out - at last, once more we can check the NOTAMs and feel some confidence!!

Many thanks for your efforts Ian, if you need any help with webhosting etc. send me a PM - I can sort this for you!!

Merry Xmas to all!

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Cabin doors 2 manual
24th Dec 2003, 18:00
Courtman

In what way did you find NOTAM Check to be way short of what Ian did with the first NOTAMplot? Are you confusing this with NotamPro? You may have looked at NOTAM Check V1.00. This is now on V2.23 and has changed alot from its original format. Most noticible is the fact that it displays the NOTAMs as their true shape and NOT a circle derived from the 'Q' line covering the affected area.

NOTAM Check is under continuing development and I would be very interested in your suggestions for improvements.

Regards
Developer of NOTAM Check
http://www.notamcheck.com

ianfallon
6th Jan 2004, 01:43
Thanks Courtman and all for the positive feedback.

It's taken a while to get everything in place to give:

a) a full Q-line and E-line-coordinate based system.
b) the above provided free of charge.

but the partnership with Avbrief gives this, meaning the maximum amount of displayed NOTAM information on the map to the maximum number of users.

Check the website after 15th Jan to download it, or buy a copy of the February issue of FLYER magazine to get the cover CD if you don't want a big download :D

I'd like to encourage support for Avbrief too who have made this possible. Subscription to their services enables additional features in NotamPlot v2.

Ian

dublinpilot
6th Jan 2004, 05:06
Ian,

Why are some FIR's subscription and some not? I take it that this was the carrot for avbrief?

I loved the notamplot program, and am disappointed to realise I'll need a subscription to use the new version in Ireland.

dp

ianfallon
6th Jan 2004, 06:36
dublinpilot - yes you are right. The deal with Avbrief was that they provide the EG** FIRs for free and the carrot is the other FIRs and features. Sadly, this means EISN is sub-only right now - sorry, no malice intended to Irish (or N French coast) flyers :(

Ian

Timothy
6th Jan 2004, 15:49
BUT......

Surely we all want to help AvBrief and Ian survive by paying a sub, don't we?

It's really not very much for the service we get, and they are a commercial business.

Why would we expect their services to be free?

Will

alphaalpha
6th Jan 2004, 16:22
I agree with WCollins.

Many, many people said how delighted they were with the original Notamplot. and presumably made their voluntary charity donation when they downloaded it, so effectively paid something to use it.

The deal with AvBrief sounds great! Free for local bimblers who, perhaps fly relatively few hours to spread their fixed costs over; subscription for the more adventurous, delivering more added value for those who need it and for whom saving the last penny is not their first priority.

Well done Ian and AvBrief.

AA.

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2004, 16:39
Why would we expect their services to be free?We wouldn't - as you say, they are a commercial business. We would expect the authorities to provide us with this service, free of charge, so that pilots can access the information they need, in a format they can use it, without incuring charges... but since we don't live in a fantasy dream-world, paying a small amount for the service is the next-best thing! :ok:

(And, of course, supporting and thanking all those who have worked so hard to get the authorities to provide us with something, even if it's not up to the standards of Ian's product.)

FFF
--------------

2Donkeys
6th Jan 2004, 16:54
We wouldn't - as you say, they are a commercial business. We would expect the authorities to provide us with this service, free of charge, so that pilots can access the information they need, in a format they can use it, without incuring charges... but since we don't live in a fantasy dream-world, paying a small amount for the service is the next-best thing!

I think its a little disingenuous to claim that the authorities don't provide us with this information free of charge. They do. The Met Office website, and the AIS website provides access to untold amounts of information without charge.

You really don't have to have been in flying for too long to confirm that in recent times the AIP and Met Data was infinitely harder to get hold of for the man in the street, without paying enormous sums of money.

We can quibble over the format in which the data is delivered, but not over its free availability.

Ian and the boys at Avbrief have done a great job - but it is not necessary to believe that AIS and the Met Office have done a bad job to think that.

2D

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2004, 17:06
Fair point, 2D - my post came across a little stronger than I maybe intended.

FFF
----------

ianfallon
15th Jan 2004, 06:15
Hi,

Just to let you know NotamPlot v2 is now available. You can either:

a) Download it from the website:

http://www.notamplot.flyer.co.uk

or

b) Buy a copy of the February issue of FLYER magazine and install it from the cover CD (out now) to save a large download.

Regards,

Ian :D

rotorcraig
15th Jan 2004, 06:38
Ian, that's amazing!

Thank you very much indeed.

RC

Fly Stimulator
15th Jan 2004, 06:46
Seconded!

I installed the new version yesterday and it's like welcoming home an old friend. :)

Many thanks Ian. :ok:

ModernDinosaur
15th Jan 2004, 16:02
It's like the fog has lifted - once more I can see whether any NOTAMs affect my proposed flight, and I can do so in seconds rather than half an hour. Thank you, Ian, for your work producing the software, and AvBrief for providing the data. The end result is a system which does exactly what it says on the tin, and does it spectacularly well.

Thanks

MD.

rotorcraig
21st Jan 2004, 04:14
Just wondering why the following NOTAM doesn't appear (neither Plotted nor Not Plotted) in NotamPlot despite being a permanent feature in the EGTT brief.

B)03/01/17 15:17 UTC C)PERM OTH (B0148/03)
E)FREQ 123.45MHZ NOT TO BE USED AS AN AIR TO AIR COMM CHANNEL WITHIN
RANGE OF ANY VHF GROUND STATION IN UK FIRS

Obviously it's not a particularly exciting NOTAM in itself once you know it's there, I just wonder whether it represents a category of EGTT NOTAM that doesn't appear for some reason but could contain something important one day?

RC

ianfallon
21st Jan 2004, 21:30
Hi - thanks for the report. It's a manifestation of a known issue that will be fixed (on the server-side, so no need to upgrade NotamPlot) shortly.

Cheers,

Ian