PDA

View Full Version : The Wright brothers' account, in their own words

Flying Lawyer
17th Dec 2003, 02:19
Wilbur and Orville Wright's first powered airplane flight at Kitty Hawk, N.C. was duly noted by the nation's press at the time, but the Wrights claimed the account was "incorrect in almost every detail."
This is the brothers' own account from the archives of Wright State University and the Library of Congress , transmitted by Associated Press on Jan. 5, 1904.
Punctuation, spelling and style are from the original typewritten document.

The Wright brothers' account, in their own words
By Orville Wright and Wilbur Wright
Associated Press January 5, 1904 DAYTON, Ohio -- It had not been our intention to make any detailed public statement concerning the private trials of our power "Flyer" on the 17th of December last; but since the contents of a private telegram announcing to our folks at home the success of our trials, was dishonestly communicated to the newspapermen at the Norfolk office, and led to the imposition upon the public, by persons who never saw the "Flyer" or its flights, of a fictitious story incorrect in almost every detail; and since this story together with several pretended interviews or statements, which were fakes, pure and simple, have been widely disseminated, we feel impelled to make some correction.

The real facts were as follows:
On the morning of December 17th, between the hours of 10:30 o'clock and noon, four flights were made, two by Orville Wright and two by Wilbur Wright. The starts were all made from a point on the level sand about 200 feet west of our camp, which is located a quarter of a mile north of the Kill Devil sand hill, in Dare County, North Carolina.
The wind at the time of the flights had a velocity of 2 miles an hour at ten o'clock, and 24 miles an hour at noon, as recorded by the anemometer at the Kitty Hawk Weather Bureau Station.
This anemometer is thirty feet from the ground. Ground measurements, made with a hand anemometer at a height of four feet from the ground, showed a velocity of about 22 miles when the first flight was made, and 20 1/2 miles at the time of the last one.
The flights were directly against the wind. Each time the machine started from the level ground by its own power alone with no assistance from gravity, or any other source whatever.
After a run of about 40 feet along a monorail track, which held the machine eight inches from the ground, it rose from the track and under the direction of the operator, climbed upward on an inclined course until eight or ten feet from the ground was reached, after the course was kept as near horizontal as the wind gusts and the limited skill of the operator would permit.
Into the teeth of a December gale the "Flyer" made its way forward with a speed of ten miles an hour over the ground and 30-35 miles an hour air.
It had previously been decided that for reasons of personal safety these first trials would be made as close to the ground as possible. The height chosen was scarcely sufficient for maneuvering in so gusty a wind and with previous acquaintence with the conduct of the machine and its controlling mechanisms. Consequently the first flight was short.
The succeeding flights rapidly increased in length and at the fourth trial a flight of fifty-nine seconds was made, in which time the machine flew a little more than a half a mile through the air, and a distance of 852 feet over the ground.
The landing was due to a slight error of judgement on the part of the aviator. After passing over a little hummock of sand, in attempting to bring the machine down to the desired height, the operator turned the rudder too far; and the machine downward more quickly than had been expected. Reverse movement of the rudder was a fraction of a second too late to prevent the machine from touching the ground and thus ending the flight. The whole occurence occupied little, if any, more than one second of time.
Only those who are acquainted with practical aeronautics can appreciate the difficulties of attempting the first trails of a flying machine in a twenty five mile gale. As winter already was well set in, should have postponed our trails to a more favorable season, but for the fact that we were determined, before returning home, to know whether the machine possessed sufficient power to fly, sufficient strength to sustain the shocks of landings, and sufficient capacity of control to make flight safe in boisterous winds as well as in calm air.
When these points had been definitely established, we at once packed our goods and returned home, knowing that the age of the flying machine had come at last.
From the beginning we have employed entirely new principles of control; and as all the experiments have been conducted at our own expense without assistance from any individual or institution, we do not feel ready at present to giveout any pictures or detailed discription of the machine.

QDMQDMQDM
17th Dec 2003, 03:15
Didn't they publish their first account in a journal entitled, 'Gleanings of Bee Keeping'?

QDM

I have control
17th Dec 2003, 03:36
This is interesting. The opening of the statement seems odd to me, as the telegram in question instructed their father to "Inform Press".

QDM - the article in the bee keeping journal was written by a third party and is believed to be the first detailed eyewitness account written by a third party.

QDMQDMQDM
17th Dec 2003, 04:17
Ah yes, thanks:

http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/symposium/tobin.html

http://www.wrightstories.com/flights.html#Gleanings%20in%20Bee%20Culture

FNG
17th Dec 2003, 17:12
Could anyone please assist in tracking down the remarks made by Orville, speaking at some time in the 1940s, explaining eloquently and persuasively why, notwithstanding Guernica , Dresden and Hiroshima he had no regrets about inventing the aeroplane. I believe that I first read these remarks on the internet, but have not found them on the various Wright Brothers and general quotations sites I have checked. Perhaps I saw this in printed form, possibly in the surprisingly little known and currently out of print "How we invented the Airplane", but most of my aviation history books are stuck in boxes at the moment.

In the meantime I have to settle for St Exupery, which is not a bad second:-

"Transport of the mails, transport of the human voice, transport of flickering pictures - in this century, as in others, our highest accomplishments still have the single aim of bringing men together."

"The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them"

PS: I have control, that helpful website referred to by QDM also has this, explaining the postion re the press

http://www.wrightstories.com/airplane.html#WrightsFirstFlightDistortedByPress

The first report had them "soaring three miles"

EDIT:

Found it (I like today's Google logo variant)

"I don't have any regrets about my part in the invention of the airplane, though no one could deplore more than I do the destruction it has caused. I feel about the airplane much as I do in regard to fire. That is, I regret all the terrible damage caused by fire. But I think it is good for the human race that someone discovered how to start fires and that it is possible to put fire to thousands of important uses."

- Orville Wright