PDA

View Full Version : Microlights

Baywatcher
13th Dec 2003, 22:55
Any one got any sensible opinions re microlights? Which are the best type to go for. Any info re Medway? 20,000 hrs on heavies; have I lost it?!

Fly Stimulator
14th Dec 2003, 00:17
There was a reasonable thread on this a little while back which you can find here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109225)

The best advice is to give it a try and see if you like it. There is quite a wide range of machinery available in the microlight class from extremely good value (but very slow) older flexwings to extremely expensive (but only a bit slow) 3-axis machines.

There are some flexwing flyers here who may be able to advise on the Medway. I must add flexwings to my list of things to try next year on the other thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111725)

You would be far from the only heavy metal flyer on the microlight scene. I was taught to fly microlights by a retired DC10 pilot, given conversion training to my current machine by an Airbus training captain and have a 747 captain friend who flies a Jabiru.

That's not to say they haven't all lost it as well, but at least you needn't feel lonely! ;)

trevs99uk
14th Dec 2003, 08:59
What do you mean by Medway.
?? Medway the microlight builder or
Medway the microlight training school.

rgds trevor

Baywatcher
14th Dec 2003, 22:12
Fly Stimulator, thanks so much for all the information and I will try the threads.

Trevs99UK I was referring to both Medway flight school in Kent and also the builders. The R912 looks pretty good on paper!

Pilotage
15th Dec 2003, 21:41
I've flown a couple of the Raven variants, and in fact own one at the moment (albeit much older and with a rather smaller engine than the 912).

I'd say that the EclipseR 912 is a decent well built machine, with a wing which can certainly milk the power of an 80hp engine better than most - you can probably get a 60-65kn cruise out of it. One of the other joys of the Raven wing is it's ability to shrug off turbulence whilst giving quite light handling (I can't offhand think of any other wing that gives that combination). Pricewise it's slightly cheaper than anything else giving the same performance, but if you need them spares are a bit more - pretty much evens out.

The (Medway) school at Stoke seems well organised when I've been down there, with a decent number of aircraft and instructors. It is full of people with remarkably strong personalities, but likeable and competent once you've seen through that. The runway is - well, interesting - and if you're an experienced truckie it'll probably at first sight leave you wishing for the relatively easy approach at Kai-Tak. But, it's basically safe, more than long enough, and apart from the occasional flood over the sea wall which closes it a couple of weeks a year, permanently open. It is in a thoroughly pleasant part of the country to fly around, particularly low-and-slow.

As a truckie pilot, I guarantee that your first 6-12 hours on flexwings will seem utterly unnatural and occasionally frightening, and because of the need to unlearn lots of your instinctive reactions you may take longer to go solo than some ab-initio students. Don't take that personally, and persevere, they are tremendous fun and actually not bad touring machines so long as you don't mind travelling slowly and light.

P

Fly Stimulator
15th Dec 2003, 22:04
Here's a photo I took of Stoke last year. It's a little hard to make out the line of power pylons next to the runway (or indeed the runway itself) but it is a fun place to fly in to!

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/gallery/stokewide.jpg

bar shaker
16th Dec 2003, 00:35
Baywatcher

How topical? I flew there today.

Its an excellent school and Ravens are excellent flexwings.

In a 912 you can pull on the speed of a Quik, but still do a 50m short field landing. I learnt on one and loved it. I have a Pegasus at the moment but plan to get a 912 Raven when the piggy bank is heavier. For flying in turbulence, there isn't anything better. In fact, our very own Genghis has one, so that's saying something.

I did my training at Stoke, Medway. Once you get your mind around the difference in the controls of a flexwing its quite easy and very exhiliarating. I passed in the minimum required hours, having GFT'd before having sufficient solo hours racked up.

The strip at Stoke is "interesting" as it has a bit of a bend and is next to power lines. If you are trained at somewhere like Stoke, then landing anywhere else is a breeze.

Although I now fly out of a farm strip in Essex, I'm still a club member and often pop down there to bash some circuits out. At weekends, the bacon sarnies are even better than Headcorn's :)

The club's website is Medway Microlights (http://www.medwayairsportsclub.org.uk/index.htm)

There's a hilarious diary from a retired gent who recently learnt there, written under the Nom de Plume of B. Umble.

BS

Baywatcher
16th Dec 2003, 14:05
Pilotage

Thanks so much for your long post and all the information. As a truckie I need some exhilaration and look forward to the challenge and trill of beginning again!

Fly Stimulator

Thanks for the aerial photo of Stoke and will let you know how I get on!

Barshaker

Thanks very much for your recommendations and I look forward to unwinding with the bacon sarnies!

Many thanks to all, I will go for it!

BW

AndyDRHuddleston
16th Dec 2003, 15:42
Baywatcher,

Just a quickie, I used to own and fly a Mainair BLADE, brilliant machine, brilliant support, would suggest taking a look at them, they're based in Rochdale, Lancs. It's a great flexwing with great handling. I had the 2 stroke 462, but the 4 stroke 912 is most definately the one to own!

ADRH

springers
16th Dec 2003, 22:19
I bought a Raven 912 from Medway earlier this year. To echo the other comments, the Raven wing offers IMO the best characteristics of any UK weight shift machine. It's light in roll, delightfully stable in lumpy air and it's fast in the cruise whilst still having a low stall speed.
It needs the 912 engine for two up flying and to give a decent climb rate.

The Eclipser trike unit has shock absorbers on the landing gear - I couldn't believe how much they improved my landings compared to the Quantum I'd learnt on. ;-) Also beautifully engineered disc brakes.

The new Medway trike, the AV8R is worth investigating. It has comfortable touring seats, a massive fuel tank and therefore range, and is competitively priced.

As others have mentioned, the Medway team are somewhat larger than life - however I have found them really down to earth and great to deal with. They operate a real club and school and are geared up towards students getting their licence (unlike others who are set up more for Red Letter Day type trial flights).

Phone up the school and arrange a trial flight. You'll love flying in the Raven and decide for yourself if you want to spend your cash with the instructor you meet.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

S

Baywatcher
17th Dec 2003, 19:06
ADRH

Adrian, thanks for the information on the Mainair 912 and I see they have a good school in La Baule with those types. Looks like a toss up with a Raven 912 or Mainair 912.

I'll keep in touch!

BW

Springers

Thanks so much for your post and I will definitely go on down to Medway. Have you flown the Mainair as well?

With thanks

BWADRH

springers
18th Dec 2003, 15:01
No Baywatcher I haven't flown the Blade. Before the merger of Mainair (Rochdale based) and Pegasus (Wiltshire), weight shift pilots were fiercely territorial in their brand loyalty and living and flying in the South I haven't come across many.

In contrast Medway representation is highest close to the M25.

When you meet the Medway people, they will tell you that the Blade wing design is a development of a design copied from an earlier Medway wing, the Puma Sprint.

There is an interesting article that supports this here (http://www.bmaa.org/pubsarticle.asp?MagazineID=16&MagArticleID=56)

I was discouraged from looking at Mainair aircraft because the design makes access to the engine difficult for maintenance.

Earlier aircraft had twin fuel tanks which have led to forced landings when pilot workload has been high.

The later Mainair aircraft with the larger single fuel tank is more awkward to rig because the fuel tank is a very tight fit inside the seat frame/skirt. So for me, three strong negatives, although some can and do live with them.

Looking back through the thread, do bear in mind Pilotage's comment about conversion and reversed controls. I saw a very experienced three axis instructor on his first conversion lesson on a weight shift machine. Let's just say it's fortunate that the aircraft he was flying has a permitted maximum pitch angle of 60 degrees! :O
S

Baywatcher
18th Dec 2003, 18:18
Thanks Springers

Interesting reading and it certainly look like the 912 is the better machine. Can't wait to get started...will let u know how it goes!

With thanks

BW