PDA

View Full Version : Flying trip ideas wanted

gliderman69
12th Dec 2003, 19:53
Hi everybody

Probably open the floodgates for abuse with this request, but I am looking for somewhere to go on Saturday the 20th next week weather permiting.

But I am looking for somewhere that I can flyin that has a really old traditional english pub not far from the landing strip as I have a friend over from Germany who wants to experience yorkshire puddings!

Other constraints are :

Aircraft C150
and within a range of about 100 nm of Cranfield

Cheers!

G

Evo
12th Dec 2003, 20:03
If you're feeling ambitious, howzabout Bembridge and the Crab & Lobster? Nice lunch and a walk on the beach afterwards? Does need a taxi from the airfield, but it's only 5 mins or so.

cblinton@blueyonder.
12th Dec 2003, 20:14
You could fly to Kemble then go to the Wild Duck Inn at Ewen, they do a superb lunch:ok:

FlyingForFun
12th Dec 2003, 20:23
And of course, wherever you decide to go, you should aim to be at the GatBash (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98220) that evening ;)

FFF
--------------

ToryBoy
12th Dec 2003, 23:21
My vote also goes with The Wild Duck at Ewen. It's about 10 minutes by taxi from Kemble and pubs don't get much better than this. The food is excellent, the atmosphere how you want it and Kemble is a great place to go.

Also, Kemble has an interesting WW2 history that you can tell yer mate all about over the yorkie puddings!:}

greatorex
12th Dec 2003, 23:31
The Wild Duck (http://www.thewildduckinn.co.uk) gets my vote too!!! Your chum will love it - it's a top place.

Cheers

G

Chilli Monster
13th Dec 2003, 00:51
Nottingham has a pub on the airfield - "The Tiger Moth". Yorkshire puds may be a possibility there, saves the need for a taxi too.

gliderman69
13th Dec 2003, 02:23
Hi folks

Thanks for the idea's the friend is my German girlfriend

I promised to show her an English pub and the wild duck looks good I was also thinking about flying into Comptom Abbas and then taxi into Shaftebury.

We need to start a web site for this kind of information, Airfield resturants are normally good but it would be nice to be able to land somewhere and go to a pub recommended by someone.

You don't feel so bad then paying for the £100 lunch!

Cheers

G

Also, Kemble has an interesting WW2 history that you can tell yer mate all about over the yorkie puddings!

toryboy.............. thinking about I get enough hassle about the English without landing at an airfield that had a role in bombing her grandparents :D

still it looks a great pub!

maybe the food would balance it out

BoeingMEL
13th Dec 2003, 02:36
German girlfriend eh Gliderman? Bet her spelling and grammar are better than yours! Have a nice time bm

360BakTrak
13th Dec 2003, 08:07
Go to Gloucester, you've got either the Aviator on the airfield, or two pubs nearby. Namely the House in the Tree or the Pheasant, both within about 3 miles of the airport.
Half price landing with 40lts of fuel uplifted too!:ok:

LowNSlow
13th Dec 2003, 14:55
The Swan does the best seafood in Suffolk and it's 5 minutes in a taxi from Beccles. The Dover sole is especially delicious. Old Buckenham does a great trad breakfast that'll put you over MTOW if you're not careful :uhoh: :uhoh:

flyingfemme
14th Dec 2003, 23:13
DON'T go to Gloucester to eat at the Aviator - it's a perfectly good caff but NOT date material!

There are plenty of lovely places to eat in Cheltenham (and good shopping) which is only 10mins in a taxi from the airport. For reasonably priced, really good nosh try Petit Blanc at the Queen's Hotel.

360BakTrak
15th Dec 2003, 00:01
flyingfemme - good point! Not quite date material in there! I retract that suggestion and fully agree with Cheltenham. There are also plenty of traditional pubs near to the airport.:ok: