PDA

View Full Version : Night Flying in Cambridgeshire

Another St Ivian
8th Dec 2003, 18:43
I am looking at possibly doing a Night Qualification early next year. Does anyone have any recommendations as to clubs/airfields that do night training and their prices, operating times, aircraft, etc.

Cheers,
ASI

flyin' shark
8th Dec 2003, 20:48
Not quite in Cambs, but Anglia Flight in Norwich are great.

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Dec 2003, 21:21
Never flown with them but was again at Norwich yesterday and they are a friendly bunch.

Got them chuckling over my request for vectors to the ILS 09.

:}

FD

phnuff
8th Dec 2003, 21:27
Not a million miles from Cambridgeshire is Eagle Flight training out of Luton (go.to/eagleflight). They do night training (PA28) and are pretty good with access to the Luton facilities and a great long bit of concrete to aim at

GT
8th Dec 2003, 22:07
Try www.flying-club-conington.co.uk

GT.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Dec 2003, 01:17
Cambridge Aero Club (http://www.cambridgeaeroclub.co.uk) do. £145 in a new 172.

Capt Crash
9th Dec 2003, 04:14
Cambridge Aero Club is the place, proper airfield with air traffic and great approach lights. And yes they can be turned off to make it a lot more fun. The aircraft are well maintained and the instructors are great. The only place to do a night rating in Cambridgeshire.

Another St Ivian
9th Dec 2003, 04:19
Thanks for the link, GT, looks promising.

Capt Crash; EGSC was my initial thought but what are its operating times, any sorts of flying restrictions and also additional landing fees.

ASI

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Dec 2003, 04:34
EGSC was my initial thought but what are its operating times, any sorts of flying restrictions and also additional landing fees Well, for night rating instruction it'll be the 4pm slot, 7 days a week; not sure what you mean by "restrictions" but they're not keen on doing anything illegal, you can see the controlled airspace on the map, and there's a club rule about not playing tourist over the city at rooftop height; no landing fees for PPL training or hire, can't imagine why there would be any for night rating, but you can always give them a call.

Another St Ivian
9th Dec 2003, 17:03
Sorry, should have been more specific. I was thinking more in terms of things like last landing times, currency requirements, etc, I was defiantly not inquiring into illegal activities. Probably misleading of me to start talking about the airfield when I really meant club specific policies.
Anyway, thanks for the replies, has given me much to think about.

ASI

MasterCaution
9th Dec 2003, 20:03
I was thinking more in terms of things like last landing times, currency requirements, etc,

CAC's flying orders book contains all of this and is on their website at http://www.cambridgeaeroclub.co.uk/

In summary, club currency requirements are 21 days on class (flying elsewhere can be taken into account). Last landings generally are limited to the airfield closing time of 6pm but I understand there is a possibility of out-of-hours operation, you'd have to check with the CFI or general manager. I don't believe there are any club-specific night currency requirements but I've not looked specifically for this in the FOB yet.

With regard to 'flying restrictions', the club has weather minima for solo flight, e.g. 8km vis, 2000ft cloud base for cross country, maximum 10knots crosswind for takeoff and landing. There are a couple of local areas club aircraft are to avoid, namely Newmarket racecourse and the radio telescopes. As GtW was getting at, flight over the city should not be conducted below 2000ft unless flying a relevant procedure (flying at rooftop level would upset the local councillors ;) ).

MC

Another St Ivian
9th Dec 2003, 21:47
Cheers MC, was pretty much what I was after.

Thanks again,
ASI

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Dec 2003, 01:41
In summary, club currency requirements are 21 days on class (flying elsewhere can be taken into account). Even flying something with no wheels is good enough!

G-KEST
11th Dec 2003, 00:42
You could try the Walkbury Flying Club at Sibson (EGSP) as well. They have some very smart and well equipped aeroplanes at fairly modest prices compared with some of the FTO's quoted. The night equipped runway is grass, a bit short and orientated 15/33 so it is a bit off the prevailing wind but at least you have a good view of the runway out of the side window some nights....!! Their website is at www.flysibson.co.uk - give it a try.