PDA

View Full Version : "Ground Control" film

FlyingForFun
8th Dec 2003, 18:40
Did anyone see the film on C5 last night - I think it was called "Ground Control"?

I had it on in the background, so might have some details incorrect. It appeared to be about a controller who worked in something that appeared to be a combination of area and approach control in Phoenix. He was working some Mayday traffic which eventually crashed, killing all on board, through no fault of the controller. The story was about his battle to get back behind the radar screen again and overcome the emotional difficulties.

Didn't seem to be a particularly good film from an entertainment point of view, but from an aviation point of view it didn't look too bad. Some bits were blatantly wrong or over-dramatic, but on the whole it seemed to reflect what I've seen on my various ATC visits quite accurately. I'd be interested to hear from you guys, though.

(Sorry for only telling you about it afterwards - I didn't know it was on until I happened to find it whilst channel-hopping!)

FFF
----------------

simfly
8th Dec 2003, 19:14
"GROUND CONTROL"??? If the said person was working area and approach control, they got the title wrong!

YYZ
8th Dec 2003, 19:21
There is already a thread on this film Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111436) with people thinking it was not very good?

FlyingForFun
8th Dec 2003, 20:37
Ah, thanks YYZ! I was hoping to start some conversation in here, though, to get the ATC point of view.

Agree completely with the comments on the JB thread about the specific inaccuracies (improbable failures, incorrect consequences of failures and so on).

But I'm more interested in the bigger picture of whether the film was an accurate portrayal of how an ATC centre functions, the interaction between controllers, the way the radar is used and interpreted and so on.

Also, with regard to the way that the emergency was dealt with at the end of the film, my impression was that in real life ATC would be far less involved with the aircraft, leaving that side of things to the pilot, but would be more involved in behind-the-scenes work such as alerting rescue services and getting them all the information they need, clearing the runway area and so on?

I'm really just trying to learn as much about the real ATC environment as I can from what I saw of the film, and I'm looking for you guys to point out which bits I should take note of and which I should ignore!

FFF
-----------

PS - Mods, I know I shouldn't duplicate the thread that's already been started in JetBlast, but I'd appreciate them not being merged in this case, for the reasons I've just given. Thanks!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Dec 2003, 21:41
And there was me sitting watching thinking it was a documentary... then Ruth gave me one of my green tablets......

Barnaby the Bear
8th Dec 2003, 21:57
I thought the control tower looked very realistic. And quite accurate.
The handovers were far too detailed for my liking. And the period of training with the mentor for the new girl, was far too long. How could she have possibly lost the picture with her knowledge of the sector and the briefing she was given.
Still easy viewing with a very bad hangover. :ugh:

bagpuss lives
9th Dec 2003, 02:13
I preferred it to "Pushing Tin" - that's about the best thing I can say about it from an entertainment point of view. The radars were correctly portrayed in some parts though I will say that much, so at least they made an effort to be in some way realistic.

Let's face it, if they were to make a film about real life it'd either be a very short film or a very very VERY dull (for most movie goers) one so I suppose some sexing up is to be expected.

av8boy
10th Dec 2003, 13:27
Personally I find the daily lack of excitement quite delightful. Everybody makes their crossing restrictions. Center takes the handoff on the second blink. Wind is straight down the runway at 8 knots and the world is clear, blue, and 72. Everybody sees the airport 40 miles out. Aircraft cleared for immediate takeoff are rolling before the mike is unkeyed...

Pure sex if you ask me. My kind of movie. I'd pay to see it.

Dave :D

PS: Idea gleaned from "Pushing Tin:" Another controller taps me on the shoulder and says, "go to lunch." I say, "you've got it" then unplug and walk away.

I can't have my mom watching that kind of crap. She's too impressionable.