PDA

View Full Version : Will airports be ready for the A380 ?

Tenminutes
6th Dec 2003, 08:37
When 2006 comes round, and the new A380 enters service, many airports won't be ready for it - especially diversion fields. It's all well and good saying, LHR, HKG, LAX etc will be ready but what about the alternates to these airports. Take LHR as an example, and Virgin. One would assume that LGW would be it's first alternate in the event of a weather diversion. But if LGW is also closed, what airports could actually handle this a/c ??:confused:

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
6th Dec 2003, 14:44
I believe Manchester will be the alternative not Gatwick

Golf India Bravo

Neo
6th Dec 2003, 21:11
Currently I believe that EMA is the only other airport bar LHR to be able to take the A380 at present.

However, I know that LGW is making infrastructure changes to cope, and I'm sure other airports are doing the same.

LBAir
6th Dec 2003, 21:43
Given the largest runway in the North of England and superb terminal facilities, great catchment area and the backing of World airlines....... What about that cow shed at Doncaster?

pikman
8th Dec 2003, 07:09
PIK can take the A380 whether for crew training,freight, pax or div we are sorted, just call eddie!

Out Of Trim
9th Dec 2003, 02:40
However, I know that LGW is making infrastructure changes to cope, and I'm sure other airports are doing the same.

Hmmm! - The last I heard; BAA - GAL had a design for a moving passenger walkway on a bridge that crossed one of the main taxiways that pass the North Terminal. It spans the taxiway to join up with a new Satellite Terminal in the middle of the West Park. Unfortunately it was designed as having to allow a B-747 to taxi underneath it; but, very shortsightedly not to allow an A-380 to pass under it!

Duh!

:hmm: :(

cargohappy
10th Dec 2003, 01:59
Neo

how come EMA is the only other airfield bar LHR to accomadate
when other airports are 2 to 3 times the size of little old EMA such
as MAN. STN LGW ect..
just interested
thanks

IanH
10th Dec 2003, 06:04
I would have though Prestwick as well...........

reynoldsno1
10th Dec 2003, 06:50
I read recently, somewhere, that LAX has not started any work at all (yet) to accommodate the A380...

Wannabe Flyboy
11th Dec 2003, 02:39
I don't think they want to... it would cost them millions of dollars. VS are not too happy about this (understandably!) and RB has written to California's new governor to force them to do something about it!

HOODED
11th Dec 2003, 02:46
Ah but it's too big, just like Concorde was too noisy! Or would that be "it's not American so we don't want it here!" Maybe if it cant be handled RB will have to fly those nice shiney 747s there instead.Then again he could use an A340-600 or is that too long?:p