PDA

View Full Version : Which plane? What to do?

tonyhalsall
5th Dec 2003, 00:05
Having revalidated my lapsed group A and put my share in the microlight up for sale I am completely undecided as to what to do next.

As there is no hangarage in the NW for PFA types I am feeling compelled to buy into an existing group operating a CAA type. But, is there such a thing as an all weather, PFA type that can be trailered and kept at home? And what of cost? The Europa seems the ideal candidate but at £30K plus the trailer I can't see the justification in that.

I did about 40-50 hours a year in the microlight and would like to achieve the same again in a group A type, which in the Summer time I could occasionally use for work - I have work committments close to Elstree and Prestwick - could a PFA type handle that?

Ah, decisions, decisions.

I remember as a youth having a trail bike, a road bike and a racer - shame I can't win the lottery.

Tony

Dewdrop
5th Dec 2003, 02:18
Watch out Tony ! If you use the phrase "Group A" there will be a lecture on the way, on how it doesn't exist anymore.

Rod1
5th Dec 2003, 02:33
Tony,

It is a rule for PFA aircraft that you must operate in daytime VMC. So no there is no such thing as an all weather PFA type. An all weather aircraft would have to be fully equipped with de-ice etc and would cost a lot of money. In the USA you can fly a homebuilt in IMC provided you have an instrument rating.

The cost justification of a Europa will be in the running costs. I am in the process of changing from an AA5B to an MCR01, I will save £3000 per year in fuel alone, plus a similar amount in maintenance. Over 10 years you will save well over twice the purchase price, and you can trailer it home. You do about ½ the number of hours a year so your figures will be different, but it is probably still a lot cheaper.

As far as business is concerned, a PFA type, like a Europa, particularly the nose gear one, will cope easily, apart from the weather restriction.

Rod1

I have control
6th Dec 2003, 06:28
I think a Kitfox could fit the bill.

http://www.kitfox.flyer.co.uk/