PDA

View Full Version : Black Bottle Challenge

Pronto
4th Dec 2003, 22:27
The Black Bottle Challenge - sponsored by Highlands and Islands Airports and the Black Bottle distillery - seems to have dropped out of sight of late. It's still mentioneld in the HIAL Annual Report though. Does anyone know if the challenge is still running?

If it's still "on" does anyone who's done it have any words of wisdom to offer on when to attempt it, the mechanics of actually doing it and - most importantly - the pitfalls?

Regards

P

Circuit Basher
5th Dec 2003, 00:09
Pronto - I was trying to find out more about it this year (general interest), but Googling didn't really help much. I believe that it is still alive.

If you're interested, want a co-P1 (*NOT* a P2 / SNY!! ;)) and I'm available, then we could possibly strike a deal (as I'm not quite as geographically challenged!). A possible steed could be a Fuji FA200 (http://www.scsfc.co.uk) if some deal could be struck with the club, or if not, then a local C172 could probably be arranged.

Fuji Abound
5th Dec 2003, 05:03
I wanted to do it last year.

I had a good chat with the organiser. He told me the Challenge had been withdrawn last year but there are plans to relaunch it in 2004 in an expanded format.

I havent heard anything more yet but will keep you informed if you like to drop me an email.

Flyer Flier
5th Dec 2003, 15:44
Karl Sherwood is a Scottish based PPL who has made up a useful and informative flying site at http://www.holiday.flyer.co.uk/ . It includes a route, photos and details of his completion of the Black Bottle Challenge in 2002. I used the site for info on holiday flying in the States as he has meticulously detailed his trips. Well worth checking the site, it certainly helps answer the questions that some people ask after getting their ppl " what do I do now?" He has definitely made the most of his ppl. :ok:

FlyingForFun
5th Dec 2003, 16:15
For the uninitiated amongst us...

What is the Black Bottle Challenge?

Thanks!

FFF
-------------

Pronto
5th Dec 2003, 16:41
Thanks to all who've replied so far. I'll keep CB's offer in mind for when/if I get to do it!

The Black Bottle Challenge is - as the name suggests - a challenge sponsored by the distillery (Islay based, I think) which produces Black Bottle whiskey. Highland and Islands Airports Ltd (HIAL) are co-sponsors and the challenge used to be advertised (after a fashion) in Flyer magazine. (Never mentioned in Pilot that I'm aware of).

The challenge is to land at three named HIAL airports (Machrinaish (formerly RAF Campeltown), Tiree and Islay) within a 24 hour period.

This doesn't sound too bad, as it's only about 40 miles from Machrinaish (sorry about the spelling - I'm not convinced that I've got it right and I can't get to a reference book to check it at present!) to Islay and about 80 miles from Islay to Tiree. Unfortunately, it's all over water... The alternative is long detours to avoid the risk of getting your feet wet if the engine stops.

The second possible pitfall is that only Machrinaish has fuel.

The prize for successful crews is a bottle of Black Bottle whiskey which will prove to be the most expensive bottle of whiskey you've ever had!

If anyone knows of any other pitfalls, I'd be delighted to hear about them as part of my early planning process.

P

Since posting this I've read the very helpful website mentioned above. It seems that the challenge now features four aerodromes, the "extra" one being Oban. Thanks for the link - that's one that's worth having! P