PDA

View Full Version : dogged leg?

van der vart
4th Dec 2003, 18:00
what is a dogged leg and top of descent?

Phoenix_X
4th Dec 2003, 19:06
A dogged leg (or 'dogleg') is where instead of going from point A to B in a straight line:

A
|
B

You go there with a 'kink' in the line:

A
>
B

This can be to deliberately increase track miles (to loose height, for example), or to avoid weather, forbidden areas or terrain.

The Top of Descent is the point where an aircarft leaves its cruising altitude and starts its descent toward the destination.

Quokka
5th Dec 2003, 05:08
...a "dog-leg" is what I give an aircraft under my control when I have to increase the spacing I have with the aircraft in front.... usually prior to the Top Of Descent. For example, I need a minimum of 3 Nautical Miles between aircraft that are at the same height, but, for aircraft inbound to the same airport, I have to space them 10 Nautical Miles apart. The fastest way to do this is to "vector" the second aircraft. A 60 degree change in heading for 10 Nautical Miles followed by a turn to re-intercept the original track will achieve a spacing of 10 Nautical Miles, if the aircraft were on top of each other (at different heights). It's an equilateral triangle.