PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification please!

aerogull
4th Dec 2003, 12:29
Hi there!

First of all, this would apply to Canadian airspace and regulations.

Let's suppose that I am on an IFR flight plan from point A to point B. Point B is a controlled airport (Class D) with an operating control tower. There is no radar in the tower nor is there an instrument approach procedure (ILS, LOC, VOR, NDB, GPS) at the destination airport (Point B). When being radar vectored by terminal/arrivals towards the destination airport (Point B), can I request to maintain my IFR and file an arrival report with the operating tower once on the ground/after landing? It is my understanding that this would be made possible by ATC clearing me to descend to the minimum IFR altitude in the vicinity of the destination airport (Point B) and by me proceeding in VMC conditions and contacting the tower. Am I on the right track?

Further, is it also possible for me to request a visual approach into this airport once I report to terminal that I have visual sight of the destination airport? Why or why not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Cheers
Aero

FWA NATCA
4th Dec 2003, 23:53
Aerogull,

I don't work in the FROZEN north (Canada), but in the US, when you land at a tower controlled (Class D) airport, the tower calls the controlling radar facility, and tells the controller that you have landed, your IFR flight plan is closed and removed from the NAS.

At a non towered airport, YOU the pilot is responsible for cancelling your IFR flight plan by either, cancelling in the air with the controlling radar facility, cancelling on the ground through AFSS, or calling the controlling radar facility via telephone or remote frequency (if one is available). We hate it when pilots forget to cancel their IFR flight plans!

In the airport example that you gave, there are no instrument approaches available. The only approach available for that airport is a visual approach, so the controller can only clear you for a visual approach.

In your example if the weather is IFR or marginal, we will normally say that weather at XXX airport is unavailable the weather at XXX (closest reported wx) is. Upon your request we will descend you to our minimum vectoring altitude. If you visually see the airport we will clear you for a visual approach. Again, you must not forget to cancel your IFR flight plan.

Mike
NATCA FWA