PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool-London

ezy733
2nd Dec 2003, 14:32
VLM to start Liverpool LCY five times Daily in New Year:ok:

HZ123
2nd Dec 2003, 15:02
This is no surprise as BRAL / BA looked at this using the ENB145 about 5 years ago. If VLM are using F50 is the flight going to be to long to make a sucess of it.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
2nd Dec 2003, 15:12
Why? VLM do fine out of Manchester (9 a day))

Golf India Bravo

Mouser
2nd Dec 2003, 15:16
So I don't have to haul me arse up M56 anymore.

Beyond
2nd Dec 2003, 19:26
I just cant believe VLM would be that stupid. They tried it before and failed - If EZJ couldnt make it work on an Airbus - how do they expect to do it on a F50? - and to LCY which is expensive and badly located for most passengers?

CRazy Dutch Courage? or a false rumour?

niknak
2nd Dec 2003, 20:22
5 rotations a day does seem a bit ambitious, does the aircraft return to Lennonpool immediately, or go onward to Europe?, with the return service being operated by another aircraft doing the reverse.

I'd take issue with Beyond, yes LCY is expensive, so is every other "London" airport, as for it's location, it couldn't be better for the financial centre or a short trip into Central London.

I suspect that the majority of passengers on this schedule will be people looking for a service that takes them within easy reach of the City of London, rather than interlining onward as you may do from Heathrow, Gatwick or even Stansted.

Mouser
3rd Dec 2003, 05:14
Great news for Liverpool Airport and this on the back of Air Wales Newcastle, Cardiff & Plymouth routes,also Easyjet Berlin with number eight based a/c, Rumour has it that Ezy No 8 will start a Liverpool-Bilbao route. Just waiting for Emerald Airways to tell us what routes their three Liverpool based, pax ATPs due next month will serve.

dwlpl
3rd Dec 2003, 05:30
A recent survey by business organisations in the city of Liverpool revealed that the 12 biggest Liverpool based companies book between 36000 and 60000 seats per month to London from Liverpool.

chiglet
3rd Dec 2003, 05:48
dwlpl
"Between 36k and 60k seats per month Liverpool-London"
By what means pray?
I stand by my earlier posts
watpiktch

Mouser
3rd Dec 2003, 06:09
Chiglet, I wondered how long it would take you to surface, given the positive news from LPL.

garethjk22
3rd Dec 2003, 06:18
For the majority of the Liverpool area, it takes around an hour to goto Manchester, to then catch a flight which takes 50 minutes ... effective use of time ... you work it out.

Liverpool is a growing economy, booming, and set for a similar step change with the capital of culture title ... in a similar way to how the commonwealth games changed manchester.

Virgin trains operate an hourly train service to London from Liverpool, all the pre 9AM departures are solely business travel ... as the only tickets available on these services are flexible return, or first class returns. Price range ... £170 - £240 .... this is, without doubt a business market - a fact proved by research, consultation etc etc etc etc.

Now, few quick sums, each train has 10 carriages, each with lets say 80 seats on, by my reckoning that gives (M-F) a total of 16 - 20,000 one way seats per week to London on the first 4/5 trains per day! This is before we even think about those who drive down!

Now, add into the equation a 3 hour (if the gods are smiling) train tride, in a train with possibly no heat, and sitting outside Milton Keyenes cos it's winter and there's a little leaf on the line, then a cramped, uncomfortable smelly tube ride accross london, and suddenly you realise, VLM have not lost it really ... not difficult to fill a few 50 seaterss which whisk these people off at high speed and right to where they want to go. And we've not even talked about the prospect of filling the midday flights with a few more leisure orientated passengers!

I guess a lot of people on here are either mancunians or Southerns, which is great ... but before you all express your antiquated, and blatently wrong views of one of the UK's most misunderstood cities, might I suggest you visit it sometime ... and you'll see why these airlines are set to make a fortune!

Caslance
3rd Dec 2003, 06:28
Gareth, I used to livein Liverpool!

Several airlines (including VLM) have tried to run a LPL-LON route, and all have failed.

Now, there must be a reason for this - I don't pretend to have the answer myself, but there must be a reason, no?

Mouser
3rd Dec 2003, 06:52
How many times do you people want telling , when VLM failed Liverpool Airport and the City were on the backfoot, things I will say again are now very different.

fimbles
3rd Dec 2003, 07:32
VLM might like to start by advertising their service. Their last effort all those years ago was never advertised, not even in the airport, and this effort seems to be going the same way - LPL has not yet made it as a destination on their website!!

Best of luck

FlapsOne
3rd Dec 2003, 07:42
Beyind

EZY never tried it with Airbus.

AOG-YYZ
3rd Dec 2003, 08:06
Caslance wrote:
"I used to live in Liverpool".

Hey Caslance, this isn't another porker is it?

YYZ-AOG in warm (and sunny) Mangareeva.
:D :D :D

dwlpl
3rd Dec 2003, 08:24
I am led to believe that the information posted so far on this thread is not entirely correct. ;)

All will be revealed later today. :ok:

Caslance
3rd Dec 2003, 14:59
I hope that dwlpl is right, as the absence of air services between Liverpool and London has always struck me as something of an anomaly - you only have to try and get a seat on a Euston-Lime Street train to see that the market clearly exists.

It's a bit of a red herring to think of Manchester and Liverpool in isolation - taken as a whole, the people of the North West and further afield can only benefit from expansion at either Ringway or Speke.

That's got to be a good thing!:ok:

BarTT
3rd Dec 2003, 18:14
A VLM F50 was due in from Rotterdam at 11 and there has been something on the NW news about the LCY service. So an announcement this afternoon hopefully!

garethjk22
3rd Dec 2003, 21:49
For whoever said 'it's not even on LPL's website yet' that would be because it was only announced about an hour ago!

VLM 5 x daily service (plus 1 x sat, and 2 x sun) into LCY.

The service will work, like it has been said time and time before ... the market at both ends of the route is vastly different to 1994 ... like those who call Liverpool the city ... read and learn the facts before you made half cut, judgements!

Caslance
3rd Dec 2003, 22:09
The service will work, like it has been said time and time before Time will tell, as it always does with new routes.

This is good news for Liverpool and for the entire region.

It's a shame that no UK airline was willing to operate the route, though.

thetexpat
4th Dec 2003, 01:24
[FONT=century gothic]
Bring back [COLOR=red]BRITISH EAGLE !
:ok:

Caslance
4th Dec 2003, 03:40
Gosh, thetexpat, you're really showing my age now.......:ok:

thetexpat
4th Dec 2003, 04:55
Caslance,
Can't beat quality and professionalism no matter whether still extant or not!
P.S. Worked for them at EGGP many moons ago!

Caslance
4th Dec 2003, 05:08
Amen to that, thetexpat.

Plenty of good news for air travellers in the North West this week, then.

Let's hope it keeps on coming.

dwlpl
4th Dec 2003, 07:11
It will, I can be sure. ;)

BRL
4th Dec 2003, 07:17
Good news if it is true. Is there anything offical yet to confirm this?

I have always wondered why ezy have not got the lpl-gat route sussed. I am sure they could manage one a day to start with, maybe one of the the ones that fly to europe from lpl stopping at lgw on the way.. Just a thought.!!

Also...................... Now, add into the equation a 3 hour (if the gods are smiling) train tride, in a train with possibly no heat, and sitting outside Milton Keyenes cos it's winter and there's a little leaf on the line, then a cramped, uncomfortable smelly tube ride accross london, and suddenly you realise, says the guy who writes this in the next sentence........... guess a lot of people on here are either mancunians or Southerns, which is great ... but before you all express your antiquated, and blatently wrong views of one of the UK's most misunderstood cities, might I suggest you visit it sometime ... might I suggest you ride on a train sometime.... :rolleyes: :p

serko
4th Dec 2003, 14:34
VLM Airlines launches Liverpool air link to London

VLM Airlines is adding two aircraft to its fleet and is launching a new high-frequency daily air link between Liverpool and London in February 2004.

Antwerp, 3 December 2003 - VLM Airlines is adding two aircraft to its fleet of customer-friendly Fokker F-50 aircraft. By basing one of these at Liverpool John Lennon Airport, VLM Airlines is providing the most convenient and fast links to the heart of London. The airline has thus responded to a considerable lobbying and commitment from the Liverpool community.

VLM Airlines has become the most important carrier at London City Airport. Last month the airline received the Golden Bridge Award, remitted by the Belgian- Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce, for being the most entrepreneurial and dynamic company operating in the UK. Now, VLM Airlines has responded to a particular adamant lobby campaign orchestrated by the Liverpool/ Merseyside community for a direct air link to London. "We have been impressed with the campaigns mounted by the community and media of Liverpool" says VLM Airlines Managing Director Johan Vanneste. "Clearly, the whole community is committed to using an air link that brings the heart of London closer to Liverpool. We look forward to building on that partnership."

In making its decision to open the route, VLM Airlines was particularly impressed with campaigns by Liverpoolıs local media, as well as the hard work and market research carried out by Liverpool John Lennon Airport and London City Airport. This research indicated that an airlink between Liverpool and London City would have important economic and social impact on the community of Liverpool.

When the high-frequency return flights from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to London City commence on Monday 23rd February 2004, the new route will provide a swift and convenient access to the capital that the people of Liverpool have been demanding for years.

Each weekday, VLM Airlines will fly 5 return services, with two every Sunday and one on Saturday. In order to enable this operation, VLM Airlines is expanding its fleet with two additional aircraft. The timetable offers an early-bird 06.30 departure to London City, and a convenient 20.45 late return to Liverpool. Reservations for this route will be possible as from Monday December 8th.

Pricing, check-in timings and all aspects of inflight service and ground handling will match VLM Airlines' established excellence on its other routine flights to London City service, for which the airline has become notorious. "Our punctuality and performance are excellent and we have a reputation to maintain." adds Johan Vanneste. Of importance are the swift boarding and disembarkation procedurres and the short check-in times (approximately 20 minutes prior to departure). London City also provides fast transfers to direct routes serving Antwerp, Brussels, Luxembourg and Rotterdam with VLM Airlines.

"We're confident that with the support of the local Liverpool community, this new route will prove to be successful!" concludes Johan Vanneste.

eal401
4th Dec 2003, 15:45
customer-friendly Fokker

Shurely Shome Mishtake?? :p

Seriously, I hope this is a success, it would be a very useful route for me and colleagues.

garethjk22
5th Dec 2003, 00:39
BRL

Use the train to London from Liverpool at least once a month.
I've suffered delays, and delays and delays. Sitting outside Rugby because we 'missed out slot'
In a train with no heating.
In a train with no lighting.
Once, even had a delayed train (by 2 hours), with no heating OR lighting in the rear 2 carriages.
Service is unreliable. Trains are dirty. Trains are expensive (for what you get).

This all happened in the last 12 months, and is ignoring the engineering works ... and now I see the trains (brand new I understand) are breaking down already ... BBC news last night.

Like I said, if the gods are smiling.

And my point here was that Liverpool has a terrible reputation, and people slag it off, and again in my opinion, whe you challenge people "When did you last go to Liverpool" you invariably get the either "O I've not been but I watched Brookside" or "about 1971!"

You can be sarcastic with me as much as you like ... but dig around a little bit and you'll see I'm right. Also, as an aisde, for those brave enough to buy the body armour and venture into the city ... they are ALL pleasantly surprised.

BRL
5th Dec 2003, 06:16
Gareth, with all due respect I know exactly your point and I was kidding about the trains.

Thanks to serko for the press release. :)