PDA

View Full Version : QF mainline recruitment?

Poto
2nd Dec 2003, 12:27
Okay, we have the Jetstar announcement. We have GD telling us another five 738's are replacing some out going 733's. With nine A333's also to hit the QF schedules really soon.

Now my rumours?

The A333's to fly long haul from Mar/Apr '04 presumably with S/O's.
The remaining 743's to be all finished/ out of storage sometime this year.
New routes being knocked around, Shanghai/London, Bangkok/Zurich, QF or Aussie to FCO in '04, Chicago shelved?

So what's going on at recruiting any stirring?:confused:
GD says QF and international market are recovering to pre Iraq war / SARS levels so would this equate to applications being once again processed and courses from the "hold file" (sorry "active consideration file") coming to fruition?

:oh:

Patience I suppose:ok:

ruprecht
2nd Dec 2003, 13:14
Poto

Here's hoping that the "active consideration" file gets moving but there are two points worth considering in the short term.

1. Since the 767 is now going domestic, there are a bunch of SO's who (I assume) will need to transfer to the A333 or the 744, and

2. the 2004 cadet scheme has been given the green light.

Also, as Jetstar takes over the QF short haul routes (as I think it will in the longer term), where are the mainline pilots going to go?

I wish it wasn't so complicated...

ruprecht.

DirectAnywhere
2nd Dec 2003, 15:41
Strong rumour from within Flight Training of a Classic S/O course early next year. 4 or 6 places. Neither confirmed nor denied by recruitment.

Poto
2nd Dec 2003, 16:37
Strong Rumour of a classic course ehh! I dig on strong rumours.
;)
Bring on the movement

Had a couple of other Q's

What sort of retirements are expected from mainline in 2004-2005? Do these figures normally relate directly to S/O positions being created?

Also isn't the commencement of the 2004 cadet program an optimistic outlook for further recruitment.

Also, my understanding is that these dudes and dudettes will spent 2005/06 in placement programs! :8
For S/O gigs from 2007.

Ruprecht, The cannibilisation of QF short haul by Jet star seems inevitable but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to feel the effects in mainline. A month, a year, a couple of years.

Guess the travelling public and the demand for a full service domestic product will have the biggest say in that.
Business travellers could hold the key to QF short hauls future.:suspect:

Monkey Magic
15th Dec 2003, 06:51
Do you think it's possible that in the future QF will leave their options open to decide whether to place cadets in either QF mainline or Jetstar?

*Lancer*
16th Dec 2003, 10:09
Don't forget that those cadets probably won't get a slot until mid 2006...

There are about 150 pilots aged 55 and over, and that's just in longhaul. There seems to be an increasing number that stay on domestic ops for a while, but its not a significant number.

Jetstar is a seperate organisation :hmm: ... the cadet programme is part of Qantas (mainline) flight ops.

:ok:

bdcer
16th Dec 2003, 13:00
*Lancer*

Do you have any idea how many guys retire per year? ie. is there a planning figure for recruitment purposes? Also do you (or anyone else for that matter) know whether the rumoured Classic courses are going to occur next year?

MoFo
16th Dec 2003, 13:25
Maaaaaate.

Flight Ops react to decisions made weekly by management. They don't get told anything until some rocket scientist in management makes up a new plan.

As a result what happens today is the result of decisions made a few months back. They react, they don't lead.

As for recruiting and retirements how the hell would they know whats going to come down from on high in the next few weeks.

If you've got a fortune teller you use, that would be a better alternative. You could pass on her/his name to Flight Ops management to help them out as well.

bdcer
17th Dec 2003, 07:40
Cheers, I'm thinking too much about this!! I' ll go on chrissie holidays instead!:confused:

QF.man
17th Dec 2003, 09:05
Not long to go...

Late Jan early Feb recruitment anticipated to begin.

Keg
17th Dec 2003, 09:35
Rumours suggest a Classic course (yep, a classic course) in January/February.

30 pilots a year hit 60 in the next five years. This increases to 40 for the five years following. Of course, how many extend or what happens if the FAA increase the age limit to 65 is anyones guess! ;)

EPIRB
17th Dec 2003, 10:45
Just my two bobs worth. As the Airbus is going international in April, it wouldn't surprise me if the recruitment was for this type as there is only one second officer on type at the moment. If they are supposed to be recruiting in January/February this seems to make sense.

bdcer
17th Dec 2003, 15:28
EPIRB,
I heard that they could get the 767 SOs onto the A330-300 (I suppose they won't need SOs if they're only doing domestic?).

What would be the possibility of cross training "other fleet" SOs onto the Airbus? (eg. one bid period fly Boeing, next bid period fly the Airbus)

EPIRB
18th Dec 2003, 03:24
Most of the 767 SO's are now on other types. I'm not sure how many are left. As for the other question, forget it. The aircraft are totally different and there would be too much involved in keeping current, such as cyclic simulator sessions.

Keg
18th Dec 2003, 08:17
Currently 48 S/Os on the 767 with only a few of those to disappear to promotion or the 744 in the next few months.

Bdcer, they couldn't even do CCQ with the 767 and the 744 for S/Os (which they were first talking about in '94!) so how they'd do it for Airbus/ Boeing I have no idea! :}

bdcer
18th Dec 2003, 13:02
Keg, EPIRB, MoFo & QF.man thanks for your input.

*Lancer*
18th Dec 2003, 13:48
bdcer, I don't believe there is a retirement planning figure because these days pilots are retiring at different ages... regardless, retirements take a little while for their effect to filter down the ranks to reach an intake requirement.

Mind you, they do have a planning figure for promotions, which is essentially the same!

Poto
18th Dec 2003, 21:54
Have heard the rumours also but has anyone actually received a call yet for slots?

I do know that the ball is definately rolling again as some colleagues have had the "we want to update some info in your file" call plus a couple of refs/tooth x-rays/security clearance calls going out.

Has any lucky ******s been given THE CALL?:confused:

Yipee the future brightens and some xmas' may actually come at once:ok:

Wow, I didn't think B#ggers was a swear word:p

Karmakoma
3rd Jan 2004, 16:31
G'day all long time reader first time submitter
Happy new year to all those with a great interest in further recruitment by Mainline QF.

Has anyone had an awesome Xmas or new years present yet?:confused:

Good luck to all waiting:ok:

GoNorth
3rd Jan 2004, 19:22
There is movement at long last. I know one person who has just been given the call up :ok: Lucky B@#&ARD!

altocu
4th Jan 2004, 09:58
GoNorth,

Was the person given a start date or do you mean that he/she has progressed to the next stage in the recruitment process? Can you give us anymore details re what aircraft and course date??

Cheers,

Alto

Poto
4th Jan 2004, 13:39
Go North, or anyone else in the know, would be keen to know details re: Course date, A/C type, course numbers,

GoNorth
9th Jan 2004, 16:52
Got the 743 starting Jan 13/14. Not sure of numbers. Sounds like there was a delay/hassle with security checks so not many knew what aircraft/start date till short notice. :ok:

Keg
10th Jan 2004, 14:03
Sources suggest 8-12 starting on each course in Jan and Feb. Types to be classic and 744 (duh- as if the 767 would be taking any!). I haven't heard of anything beyond that!

Tempo
10th Jan 2004, 17:39
Does anybody know the dates for the Feb course???

Cart_tart
13th Jan 2004, 10:32
Anyone have any idea's when they'll need FA's?
Ive been on the "shortlist" for over 12 months and am getting a bit tired of waiting!! And sick of hearing they're hiring cheap labour Kiwi's and Thais!!!
Any news on Aussie recruitment would be much appreciated!
xx

Gods Kitchen
17th Jan 2004, 17:25
People are getting phone calls for mouth x-rays and security checks. Things are looking up.

Anyone have anymore information

bdcer
18th Jan 2004, 19:30
Back to the top again. Anyone heard of Feb course date/numbers/types??

Keg
18th Jan 2004, 22:07
Mid Feb. 12 total, some are ex cadets. Most 744 and some classic is the goss.

Gods Kitchen
19th Jan 2004, 17:14
Guys,

If you were on the Feb course, would you know by now or will it come soon. What about a March or April course. Any news appreciated.

Cheers

Tempo
20th Jan 2004, 16:31
The website now states that Qantas has recently offered employment to people for Jan and Feb start dates. Does anyone out there know of people on the Feb course??

Gods Kitchen
20th Jan 2004, 17:54
All i've heard is people getting phone calls regarding security checks and mouth x-rays. Anyone have further info.

bdcer
22nd Jan 2004, 13:07
Anyone got the call yet for Feb ?

Tempo
22nd Jan 2004, 14:45
anyone know of anyone??

Poto
22nd Jan 2004, 20:38
Waiting for a call from these guys is like trying to pass chewing gum (takes f@cking forever and all you end up with is an unrecognisable brown lump that resembles chocolate) good luck to all frustrating with the enivitable wait list :p

OBNO
26th Jan 2004, 09:19
Waiting Sux - Agreed.

Given that they are about to start up psychometric testing and interviews again, is it reading too much into it that they are anticipating requiring more pilots than are currently on the "hold file"? I hope so!

WhiteRat Wannabe
27th Jan 2004, 07:25
You'd have to think so OBNO! But i think they always like to have plenty more on hold than they actually need, so they can skim the better ones off the top :yuk:

Which is great news if you're not that competitive!

Waiting = :mad: +:confused: +:{ +:zzz: +:yuk:

EPIRB
27th Jan 2004, 10:21
Doesn't work that way. You are either acceptable or not. There is no points system for those that got through the process like there used to be.

altocu
27th Jan 2004, 10:28
EPIRB,

If as you say there is no longer a points or "ranking" system in place, why would there be people (myself included), who were reference checked prior to the halt in recruiting last year, that are now being jumped by candidates who were interviewed after us, if not that their applications are more competitive than ours?

Cheers,
Alto
:confused:

EPIRB
27th Jan 2004, 10:55
I was talking about those that are selected. Once you are considered suitable, they hold your name until a slot comes up. I believe what happened in years gone by was that you were considered acceptable and were allocated a certain amount of points. Then you could be pipped if someone else came along with a higher amount. You would be on hold for two years and if not offered a slot would have to reapply.
The fact that you were referenced checked is no doubt a good sign but does not necessarily mean you are to be offered a position. Keg maybe better able to answer your question.

Poto
27th Jan 2004, 11:22
I may be wrong but my understanding of the process is that you are ref cx and the like when your name is floating to the top of the rank system and are likely to make the cut for future courses planned.
Many who were processed for possible future courses prior to suspension of recruitment did not leave the "pile" therefore when more competitive candidates "beat" their score they simply dropped a few positions. :{

This definately sucks the big one for these people. The timing was just crap. Back when things were running hot with two courses a month and the like their would not have been any problems:hmm:

Now with the new security checks taking sixish weeks I wonder if those who had the checks done prior to suspension will be shelling out some more clams to do it again?:suspect:

Gods Kitchen
28th Jan 2004, 05:22
Anyone else with info.:ok:

IORRA
29th Jan 2004, 15:26
Calls for the 2004 Cadetship have started (apparently). Best of luck to all those at the final stage!

removalist
30th Jan 2004, 07:48
Heard of one guy getting the almighty call for a start on the 17th of Feb, and another the call first stage testing in Feb.

Good luck to all

Rem

bdcer
30th Jan 2004, 09:50
removalist,
Is the guy you are talking about a cadet, direct entry (ex ansett, civil or military?)? Does he know what type he is going to?
Cheers in advance,
Bdcer

IORRA
30th Jan 2004, 10:38
Mid Feb. 12 total, some are ex cadets. Most 744 and some classic is the goss.

Is good info from Keg. Best of luck!

removalist
30th Jan 2004, 11:09
G'day Bdcer

He's direct entry from GA. Apparently from someone else, I heard it's a 400 course, but I don't think they find out till day 1.

Great to see movement happening. It's going to be an awesome year, Touch Wood !

rem

bdcer
2nd Feb 2004, 11:21
Anyone else know about any Feb starters ?

Gods Kitchen
4th Feb 2004, 11:07
Best mate referenced checked today.
He said they have only approved a Feb course at this stage and everyone has been notified.
Haven't heard of anyone on the Feb course.

Anyone else

TCQ
4th Feb 2004, 17:49
I have heard that they are "waiting for approval" for March and April Courses.

Surely with interviewing starting up again, this is a good sign that they will be approved.

Does anyone know if they are going ahead?

Thanks

*Lancer*
4th Feb 2004, 20:11
Um, if they're 'waiting for approval' noone knows!

It probably means they'll happen - especially considering the new london slots and credible rumours of extra 400s to fill them.

I know someone on the Feb course... from GA. Pretty sure all the remaining cadets went though in Jan (but there were others on the course too).

engine out
5th Feb 2004, 06:40
Qantas won't tell you what type until day one as things can still change up to that point (a friend was changed the day before he started). Most training will be on the 744 though eventually A330 will have some going on. There does appear to be some movement in the system within qantas with some FO training on the 767 (though limited) and more on the A330 but none on 737.
One thing for people to consider is the possible inpact of Bird Flu a month down the track should it find a way to pass from human to human, that may slow down recruitment again for some time. My opinion having to spoken to some in the know is that there will be quite slow recruitment for the next six months then ramping up after mid year when things settle down more (if they do at all).

bdcer
5th Feb 2004, 17:16
To all the Ppruners who helped me with good info, thanks ! I finally got the call up, starting on 17 Feb. I have no further information on types or course numbers.

WhiteRat Wannabe
6th Feb 2004, 04:55
I'll see you there bdcer. :ok: :D

Gods Kitchen
6th Feb 2004, 05:16
Congratulations Bdcer and Whiterat.

How long was the wait between your references being checked and receiving the call.

Cheers

WhiteRat Wannabe
6th Feb 2004, 05:44
Cheers Gods Kitchen, only 6 days.

WRW

Ratter
6th Feb 2004, 05:58
Congrats to Whiterat and Bdcer

I was supposed to do my psych and skills in November 03 but delayed due SARS.

Recently noted that the QF site stated that psych and skills will be recommencing in FEB and MAR, but will be limited to only the most competitive applicants.

Does anyone have a gauge on what is considered competitive in terms of the applications (i know it relates to experience but am interested in a figure). Also corect me if i am wrong but i would assume that it also means that with my 1300 TT i will probably be waiting for a considerable amount of time yet.

Appreciate info.

Regards

Ratter

bdcer
6th Feb 2004, 07:23
Gods Kitchen,
They started my second set of reference checks in late Dec & I just got the call yesterday (I did get a couple of admin calls in between in Jan & Feb). I think it is fairly random, as the agencies that do the security checks are swamped down with security checks from all over Australia & are working flat out. All my friends indicated that the best thing you can do is be available at short notice!

MinimaNoContact
6th Feb 2004, 08:46
Well done WRW :ok:

Lookin forward to a messy weekend of celebrations mate!

KeepOnMovin
12th Feb 2004, 13:38
Hi guys.

I have been called for my initial testing in SYD at the end of this month. I have been O/S for the last 7 years so I'm trying to get as much gen as possible on how best to prepare for the testing.

Any advice from people who have recently gone through successfully???

Thanx for any constructive advice in advance.

EPIRB
12th Feb 2004, 17:26
Get yourself a copy of "How to Pass Professional Level Pyschometric Tests" by Sam AL-Jojjoba. (not sure of the spelling of the authors name). It has the Qantas type tests. And don't answer what you think they want to see in the personality part as it will then be all over. Be honest. Good luck!

KeepOnMovin
12th Feb 2004, 19:35
Thanx very much. i will look it up. Any advice where i can purchase it?

Gods Kitchen
13th Feb 2004, 04:06
You can find it at the Technical Bookshop in Melbourne. (Collins Street from memory) They can post it to you anywhere in Australia. Great book:ok:

Salt Spray
13th Feb 2004, 07:12
Hi Guys,

So if KeepOnMovin has been called in for testing, one can assume that the info on the website re: recruitment after Feb remians under ongoing review" means that it is probably going to continue. Any thoughts, preferably positive?

Cadets for this year should be about to be farmed out to their respective training org's so now a big load has been removed from recruiting's workload. So we could hear good news in the not to distant....????????

SS

Mr. Boeing
13th Feb 2004, 10:14
Actually Swanson St.

happydriver
15th Feb 2004, 12:55
Just got the call for initial testing also......have been told that stage 1 will be conducted throughout march...could this be the year??????:8 :8 :8 ....coud someone in the know please share again the details of the tests involved.....including simulator and interview q's.....I know it'been beaten to death but the search engine is u/s....cheers.

WhiteRat Wannabe
15th Feb 2004, 18:06
Happy, concentrate on stage 1 first, QF website used to give you examples of all the different types of tests. Have a go at those ones and then go to your nearest bookshop/library and get your hands on some psychometric books with similar tests. (The above mentioned one is good). Any IQ test book is worth looking at for the reasoning/maths/comprehension tests etc which all help to sharpen you up a bit. Use your brain as much as possible leading up to it.
Be yourself for the personality side of things, it can be helpfull to have a look at a few questionaires just so you know what to expect. Just be honest.
Brush your interview technique up just in case you have a brief initial interview with someone (don't know if they still do it - didn't for me).
I think it's pretty rare to do it all at once, so you'll usually get anything from 3 weeks to 2 months between stages, which should be enough to study for the sim/interview. That way you don't have to bog yourself down trying to study for it all at once.

Good luck!:ok:
WRW

Towering Q
16th Feb 2004, 16:48
It's about time you changed the 'Wannabe' part of your name Rat.

Oh, and we still miss you.:sad:

WhiteRat Wannabe
17th Feb 2004, 05:35
Still a wannabe really, so it'll have to stay for a while yet:O
"i know noooothing"

Oh, and we still miss you

Hmmmmmm, who's your CAR/CAO/AIP/F+D TIMES consultant these days??:D

griffinventure
17th Feb 2004, 11:19
What are the failure rates for the skills + phsychometric tests at QF. I heard they are pretty high, around 80% for DE, and 90% for cadets(higher threshold set). Anyone know?

Ratter
18th Feb 2004, 17:52
Hi all,

I am interested in finding out what sort of levels of experience do those who have been invited for psych and skills have. Simply so i can gauge what is considered a "competitive application"; also to see whether or not i am dreaming at my level of T.T.

Thanks in advance. Safe flying

Ratter.

Congrats to all who have been called!

KeepOnMovin
18th Feb 2004, 19:44
I got the call last week. As far as hours go;
3600 TT, mostly twin turbine and P1. Currently P1 on a medium Multi-crew turbo prop, glass cockpit.

Opps! P1=PIC in Oz???

adair
19th Feb 2004, 01:53
Ive had two "not competitive enough" letters in 12 months. 5000+TT, 3000 command turbine, only 100 multi though. Looks like 500 min multi??

Arbey8
20th Feb 2004, 09:00
Hey guys,
Well done to those who have recently gained start dates. IS there ANYONE who has gotten one without having too many over the minimum requirements? I'm staring my application in the face with fear! A few years back i passed the testing for the cadetship but botched the interview , will that be beneficial or a hinderance?

cheers lads, all the best. :ok:

ozpilot
20th Feb 2004, 11:35
I did QF stage 1 and stage 2 in May 2001. Bombed out at stage 2. In June last year, I reapplied and was told straight off the bat that I wasn't competitive enough. I will give it another go shortly but I suspect that for the time being I have blown my chances of working for them. I know of 2 other guys who did various stages, missed out and then were given second goes right through all of the recruitment stages. They both did well on their second goes but were told that they are not competitive enough and that was the end of that. At the moment, the pattern seems to be that if you stuff it up once you are pretty heavily penalised on any subsequent attempts. However that is just my guess.

WhiteRat, Q man doesn't need a consultant anymore - he is senior line pilot and heir to the CP throne after all :p

Ralph the Bong
22nd Feb 2004, 17:23
A not-so-young bloke up here just got an invite from QF. Has degree and about 10,000 hrs including 6,000 jets.

Towering Q
23rd Feb 2004, 21:07
Ozpilot , you do realise of course that there is nothing that a CP doesn't know.:cool:

fly_boy 4 flying
24th Feb 2004, 14:04
G'day pplz,

i'm starting an airline preparation diploma course with flight instruction at Basair flying college at Bankstown this Monday coming. I've got my sights set on a career with QF. I'm just wondering is there any other things I could do to make myself stand out from the crowd like extra ratings or courses etc?

Regards, Flyboy

OBNO
24th Feb 2004, 15:01
Anyone know what aircraft type the guys who started on 17 Feb got?

RB63
24th Feb 2004, 16:50
OBNO
Classic's and 400's

FFG 02
24th Feb 2004, 19:48
RB63,

The Feb course got Classics and 744! Does that mean two courses or are you referring to Classic as in January course?

More importantly has anyone been called in for further processing ala "recruiting beyond February remains under ongoing review"?????????????

IORRA
25th Feb 2004, 06:25
FFG02

Jan 14 - Classic and 744, Feb 17 - Classic and 744, afaik.

IORRA :ok:

Master of the House
25th Feb 2004, 06:25
17th Feb 4 started of the classic
18th Feb 6 started on the 744

Gods Kitchen
28th Feb 2004, 18:43
Has anyone heard of any new courses on the horizon.

Cheers

engine out
1st Mar 2004, 10:24
I heard that Q is looking at putting on around 100 pilots this year (20 odd already started). This is as usual subject to change. There is meant to be another classic course later in the year due to SO moving to other fleets. Not known when A330 training may commence as Sims are running at full capacity at the moment and there is substantial FO and Command training to be done over the next 12 months on it.

Blown Seal
1st Mar 2004, 11:15
FFG 02,

I personally know 3 guys who either have just (last week) or are about to (within the next two weeks) do stage 1. So as engine out said it looks like they will be taking some substantial numbers.

I saw an interview with GD on ABC AsiaPacific last where he said QF were expecting at least 4-5% growth this year, and are also adding more destinations (as we all know). Which says to me - more crews.

Blown

DirectAnywhere
1st Mar 2004, 15:51
Not known when A330 training may commence
Plenty of A330 sims elsewhere in the world!!;)

engine out
2nd Mar 2004, 13:30
It is true there are plenty of A330 sims around the world and some may have to be used but I would expect Q would want to use this option at a minium. In addition to that I still don't know when SO training will commence on it (though the aircraft does have one SO already).

Keg
2nd Mar 2004, 21:44
Was talking to one of the guys today. Not sure what his source was but he provided the following information. I'm not in a position to confirm it either way at the moment but will try and do so over the next week or so.

Reckons about 100 people this year with a course to probably go ahead in March. Didn't know the numbers but 12-16 is about the max that we've done in the past. Could be less though! A330 S/Os to be employed at some stage this year- base unknown. Supposed to be looking for additional 744 capacity but struggling to find airframes that fit our needs or at the right price. All the 'talk' is about 'expansion' so it could be a decent year.

Good luck to all.

Regards

OBNO
3rd Mar 2004, 06:33
A course to go ahead in March, well that is good news, but it is the 3 March now! I know it is no fault of the Recruiting Dept, but who makes the decision when the Courses run? Why on earth do they leave it until the last minute to approve them. Surely someone is responsible for looking ahead and deciding how many to Pilots train and when, they can't possibly suddenly realise, "B ****r we're going to be short of some Pilots better run a course in two weeks!"
"Indecision is the key to flexibility"

Gods Kitchen
3rd Mar 2004, 17:31
March??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Honky Tonk
5th Mar 2004, 05:37
Just wondering if any of the lucky guys or gals who got to stage 1 or 2 in the last month, would be able to share if anything has changed with the QF Recruiting process. Any light on new tests or new question in the interview that they had never heard of any one else getting before would be most helpful.

Honky:ok:

engine out
5th Mar 2004, 06:50
From information received it appears only doing about two peoples stage 1 per day at the moment as opposed to around eight a day two years ago. However it now looks like around 124 pilots for the year according to current flying plan, though of course who knows whaqt will really happen

shadow1
8th Mar 2004, 11:56
Wondering how fast things are moving with Qantas recruitment. Has anyone heard whether any of the applicants who completed stage 1 testing within the last month have received an invite back for the next stage?

Labia Majora
8th Mar 2004, 18:24
Sources close to flight ops tell me that all future pilots recruited into Qantas will come from the CADET PILOT courses only.

All future planned direct entry testing will cease as of this month.

Gods Kitchen
9th Mar 2004, 05:14
Labia Majora,

What will happen to those alraedy on the hold file and waiting? Hopefully they will still get a start.
Especially after paying all that money to attend interviews.

Gods Kitchen.

RB63
9th Mar 2004, 05:23
Labia
Cadets only! Are you trying to wind people up?

The March course has been approved. I have heard that a friend of a friend has been told Mar 24 with a Melb base. I can only assume that means the A330. Nothing about any classic of 400 courses at this stage.

altocu
9th Mar 2004, 09:59
Hey all,

Of the guys that were called yesterday for the Airbus course in Melb, does anyone know of a person on that course that ticked Sydney as a preferred basing?

Alto

avguy1
9th Mar 2004, 12:29
Nothing has changed in stage 2. They are going really quickly with the process. Notification of a confirmed stage 3 date with as little as 9 days notice.

Keg
10th Mar 2004, 09:18
Spoke to a reliable source today and he indicated 120 S/O entries this year with 24 of them already recruited.

Good luck to all.

*Lancer*
10th Mar 2004, 13:48
Come on Keg, didn't you read the circulated memo from the most reliable source of all?! ;)

As humorous as labia's suggestion is, there's no way Cadet numbers can satisfy the apparent recruiting thirst... Looks like an International 330 and a bunch of promos coming up is starting to have an effect!

bdcer
10th Mar 2004, 13:55
They've recruited 22 so far this year (12 jan & 10 feb) & I've heard of someone getting a Mar 23 start date (no mention of Mel/Syd) & another on Mar 24 - Mel base. So there will probably be more than one type for Mar cse.

Keg
11th Mar 2004, 08:15
Lancer,
That may explain why the bloke I spoke to was so sure then. I haven't checked my mailbox for about the the last week and a bit so haven't seen any memo! I assume it was from either Chris or GD then?!?!

Thanks, THAT particular source now isn't considered as reliable as he used to be! :} :ok:

OBNO
12th Mar 2004, 14:48
I know a few guys who now have a start date of 22 March

ROB-x38
12th Mar 2004, 15:11
Altocu, i know a bloke on the next course who's ticked sydney as the preferred base, not sure what a/c type though..

Gods Kitchen
14th Mar 2004, 23:53
Anyone else with info about a March or April course?

altocu
15th Mar 2004, 00:00
Thanks for that ROB-x38.

Gods Kitchen, i think that the calls have all gone out now for this months slots, don't know anything about April course

Reese Jones
15th Mar 2004, 23:36
Does anyone have any info on further stage 2 testing? Could a “non-cadet” expect to be called for stage 2?
Cheers,
RJ

*Lancer*
16th Mar 2004, 04:44
There isn't any cadet testing going on at the moment...

But there seems to be a bit of testing going on!

Reese Jones
16th Mar 2004, 08:20
Just did a search on cadetship, I guess it might be a bit of a contentious issue – sorry about that – I wasn’t trying to stir anything up. Just wanted to know if “anyone” is getting called for stage 2?:ok:

altocu
16th Mar 2004, 09:04
Does anyone have any news on the effect, if any, of the bombings in Spain on recruitment plans? Obviously it's not a positive thing, but anything more specific? Any word on if there will be an April course? What i would do for a crystal ball..... :)

Alto

GA Driver
16th Mar 2004, 09:33
Does anybody know how long the wait usually is to be called up for the next interview :uhoh:
I know they say you'll hear from us within 3 weeks but do the lean to either side if the 3 weeks if the previous stage is good/bad?

*Lancer*
16th Mar 2004, 10:37
Altocu, I don't think anyone knows how Spain is going to affect anything! I think Qantas would enjoy using your crystal ball too... :ok:

Ratter
19th Mar 2004, 04:47
Hi all

Have heard that there will be 145 direct entry by December. Know of 2 that start on March 23rd and another 3 called for sim and interview, and a further 2 called for psych and skills and this is from just one company.

Recruiting will be continuing well into April at this stage with the magic number being 1500hrs (this is just a guess as all of the above have at least this)

Not sure about the total number accuracy but it appears that it will certainly be a big year for direct entry.

Regards

Ratter

Arbey8
22nd Mar 2004, 00:25
ratter,
i know which company you are talking about. do you think that their affiliation with qf is the reason they're all getting the call at the same time, or just by chance? either way a great company to work for!

RootCheck
23rd Mar 2004, 20:38
Ratter,
are the 2 from the one company by any chance from a Sydney based QF subsiduary? How reliable is your info?

Chief Wiggam
24th Mar 2004, 12:33
Hi all

Getting a little curious now as to where the top of the pile is at.

Have not heard of anyone in the Top End with mostly single time, (apart from Multi CIR hours) getting any call-ups for testing.

<1500hrs + <100hrs multi is about the lowest experience someone has had with a call recently.

Any variation to this, up here or elsewhere?

I normally wouldn't try to predict what Q recruiting is doing but it's fun and GA is starting to sh*t me.

This could be the year for everyone!

152passenger
24th Mar 2004, 20:46
I got a letter a few days back saying that my file is predicted to progress after october. I have about 1400hrs (60 or so multi) bush and instructing experience.
Lets hope testing and recruitment continues as planned. Has anyone else had similar letters lately and is the prediction for progression usually acurate.

Fingers crossed for all

Gods Kitchen
24th Mar 2004, 22:40
Rootcheck,

I think Ratter is refering to General Flying Services at Moorabbin. They train QF Cadets. Congrats to Adam and Joe.

Hope to see you both soon.

Gods Kitchen.

OBNO
26th Mar 2004, 03:00
22Mar04 - 4 on Classic
23Mar04 - 8 on 747-400
24Mar04 - 4 on A330 (Mel based)

More to come this year.

Transition Layer
26th Mar 2004, 03:11
152passenger

To give you an idea, I got a similar letter the other day, except predicted to progress after December. I've also got bush and instructing time, 1250 total, around 50 multi.

So that seems to make sense, as in that extra 2-3 months I would be likely to do the 150hrs that makes up the difference between your hours and mine.

Surely they can't just use hours as the cut-off though?

TL

altocu
30th Mar 2004, 22:38
So people,

It's almost April....anyone heard anything more about when the next course may be?

Altocu

Mr Whippy
31st Mar 2004, 01:50
TL and 152pax,

I got a similar letter saying expected to progress in September. 1850tt, 1000 multi 500 ifr all in ga. It's my second go - bombed out on stage 2 18 months ago.

There could be some way of rating you based on hours, but I expect it's got more to do with when your application was received, ie the new applications go to the bottom of the pile.. Most ppl I know who have been scheduled for interviews have had them in the order of which they applied. They don't seem to mind giving most people a go, especially when we're paying!

The Enema Bandit
31st Mar 2004, 04:38
Do Qantas only require a ppl these days?

Mr Whippy
1st Apr 2004, 00:30
No, I'm just getting lazy... blame it on too much sms'ing.

ppl = people

Ralph the Bong
1st Apr 2004, 12:20
G'Day Mr Wippy, I dont think it quite works that way. I you submit a competive application (say 5000hrs plus degree and 2000 hrs turbine) you wont be going to the bottom of the pile. I'd say you would get a call pretty quick.:ok:

152passenger
1st Apr 2004, 20:51
Thanks TL & Mr Whippy

Have had application in about 12 months now and am just keeping on trying to gain more and more experience and qualifications as I go to try to be competitive.

Mr Whippy
1st Apr 2004, 23:24
Hi Ralph,

Fair point - I'd agree with you in that regard. Should have added that I was talking about ga piston drivers with no more than about 2500 total... in that case they seemed to be called more in order of when they had applied, not based on who was more experienced. Wish I had that 2000 hours turbine so I could offer an opinion from that perspective...

The point I was trying to make to 152 pax and TL was that if they hang in there, work hard and keeps their noses clean they will eventually be called, so don't give up!

altocu
2nd Apr 2004, 14:49
G'day all,

Got the call up yesterday for a start later this month. What a feeling....can't wipe the smile off my face :O Good luck to everyone waiting at the moment or in the process of applying.

Alto

Gods Kitchen
2nd Apr 2004, 21:05
Altocu,

Check your PM's:ok:

Ratter
2nd Apr 2004, 21:10
Hi all,

Sorry to take so long to reply.

Arbey, i think that the company you think it is does get a more favourable lookin because of their affiliation with QF, it would be a logical argument that if a company were to have a professional association with an airline recruitment department on a very regular basis it would follow that the company would be treated with more favour. Don't quote me on this as i am far from an authority on this matter.

Also heard that another two from this co have been called for psych and skills (that makes 6 in 8 weeks). Gods Kitchen, you hit the nail mate Congrats to Adam and Joe, top blokes!

For general information i have recently heard that the experience / achievements comparitive with age is quite a focal point of an applicants competitiveness in the application process. This would make sense as i know of some called that have less hours than me by 200 or so but are 3 years younger, thus their age vs experience is more competitive than mine. If i am way off the mark someone please correct me.

I think it will be a great year for QF recruitment, hang in there guys and gals, it will happen.

Safe Flying

Ratter.

multicom123
3rd Apr 2004, 03:20
Congrats Altocu :) Any indication of aircraft type?

turbinejunkie
3rd Apr 2004, 07:59
G'day to all P-Pruners.

I am wondering if someone who has some good insight of the Qantas selection process would mind shedding some light for me on how Qantas views re-applications by pilots who have bombed at either the first or second round on their first try.

I have had a crack at the title almost 2 years ago without success first up (had approximately 500 command twin and 1100 hours total at the time with a few renewals) and have since more than doubled that with a couple hundred multi-crew turbine IFR hours thrown in as well (and are adding to that number as we discuss this matter).

No reason was given for my failure then - don't know if it was psych or skills or both - therefore I have been unsure what to improve on (but to cover bases I have been working on both areas anyway).

I am Degree qualified (not aviation degree) with previous experience in that industry making me a late starter in aviation and are now approaching my mid thirties.

I didn't know much about the QF hiring process at my first try or have any contacts able to provide any useful info (and don't now for that matter - hence this query) but would like to try again (informed and well prepared this time), hoping its not curtains for me!:\

Having only recently gained a turbine co-ies position (hence low multi-crew turbine time) and wanting to do the right thing by my new employer, I am also interested in opinion on roughly when should I try again if I do still have a show with the Big Red (noting windows for recruitment come and go as well as possible age vs. experience issues).

I would gratefully appreciate any genuine discussion or PM's on this topic and hope to hear from you all soon.

Thanks in advance,

Turbinejunkie:ok:

altocu
4th Apr 2004, 00:10
Gods Kitchen & Multicom.....check your PMs

Alto

bdcer
4th Apr 2004, 01:41
Just curious about the varied start dates given to any of the April course starters?

Thanks in advance

*Lancer*
4th Apr 2004, 08:14
Different start dates = different aircraft.

Truckmasters
20th Apr 2004, 10:29
Does anyone know whether there has been any commitment beyond the April course. ie are they still going month by month or have they outlined a plan for the next 6/12 months?

griffinventure
21st Apr 2004, 07:30
What percentage of people fail the day where you do skills/pychometric testing -i heard many fail. I also heard that it is very hard to get another look in if you blow this day?

Anyone know how it really works here?

*Lancer*
22nd Apr 2004, 08:07
Truckmasters,

There is always a 'plan' but actual courses are only committed to month by month. The 'plan' was posted on this thread earlier...

Pin Head
22nd Apr 2004, 10:06
Are there any non nationals working for QF, i.e expats but with working visas?

NDB APPROACH
24th Apr 2004, 01:58
qfs recruiting policy changes and the market changes. 8 puits or TSOs are starting on 27th april, 4 on 744 and 4 on A330. The 2004 cadet scheme has started and is in full flight. the next few intkaes will be mainly direct entries as the cadets are now tied up in industry placement which is a good thing. for those applying aagain i believe the general rule is two or three attempts before qantas say to you that they 'dont really belivev you can pass the process'. although the more hours and experience etc is good, in that it will get your throught the first stage and offered a testing slot. but hours doesnt neccessarily mean you meet the qantas requirements. qantas believe that sometimes pilots with more hours experience also have bad habits and are harder to train.
the best bet is to keep trying dont give up and hopefully you'll get in

EPIRB
24th Apr 2004, 12:58
I've been told the success rate to get in is around one out of five. If you fail the personality part of the psyc test they don't ask you back. Some have been known to get in on their third psyc test. Don't agree about the comments about the hours as some of the ex Ansett pilot's had upwards of 14,000 hours.

MAX
24th Apr 2004, 19:36
How flexible are QF on foreign licenses? Im Ozmate with the 767 but written on JAR paperwork. Do they bend a little ?

MAX:cool:

HEALY
25th Apr 2004, 05:57
Anyone doing testing on the 27th or 28th this month. PM if you are.

Fat Albert flyer
11th May 2004, 08:28
Got the call up today for a start in Sydney on 2 June 04

A great day.

Good luck to all who in the pipeline
:O

Reese Jones
12th May 2004, 01:58
Congrats FAF great news.:ok:

Does anyone have any insight to the approximate experience (hours) of those getting called for interviews right now?
Is anyone still getting calls for interviews?
Thanks
RJ

*Lancer*
14th May 2004, 15:45
People are still getting calls for interviews, with varying hours (some low).

Success rate is also subjected to normal supply/demand rules... in practice Cadet success rate is almost 1 in 20.

Dentist
15th May 2004, 04:25
Got the call for stage one in June, Can anyone help a bit? what is involved ect. I have 4100TT with 1800Comm twin turbine?