View Full Version : Helmets - Should you? and Which?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ST&E
21st May 2010, 00:51
This is the only helmet bag I know of with a laptop compartment.

Laptop Backpack / Helmet Bag | Flying Circle Bags (http://www.flyingcirclebags.com/shop/fcb-store/laptop/backpack-helmet-bag)

I use one myself, and like it. However if you use an SPH5, it get a little cramped. I had a 3" "plug" sewn into mine, and now it works well.

san2dee
6th Aug 2010, 12:18
Few questions here- what entails a ship powered ANR vs Battery powered on an Alpha Eagle? Do you need a seperate run off from the machine for the ship powered ANR?- This is intended for a Jet Ranger. How long do the batteries last for the ANR if it is battery powered? Thanks!

9th Aug 2010, 02:16
Hi,

You will need a plug and lead to go from the aircraft power to the ANR power supply.

You should be able to get a techo to make you up one that plugs into the aircraft mil spec 24 Volt 2 pin socket (that is usually installed on the Bells). Just remember to have a "break-away" connection (plug) near you helmet in case of emergencies.

Batteries; In a 412 my rechargable 9Volt battery lasts about 5 hours. I converted the battery box for the ANR kit to take 2 x 9 volt batteries in parallel. This will double you useable time. If using the rechargeable type 9V, get the "no memory" ones so you can flatten them completely and then recharge them again. This set up for me typically lasts about 2 years before replacing the batteries.

If you can get a 2nd battery box, do the same set up and you can swap boxes in flight when one goes flat.

It takes about 17 hours to recharge the batteries.

Once you have ANR it is very difficult to fly without it.

Have fun!

Cheers, 800

ga8airvan
12th Aug 2010, 14:25
which one is more good ANR or CEP? for Gallet LH050

ga8airvan
12th Aug 2010, 14:28
Anyone know how much is worth for used SPH4B, using new sph5 retention kit, complete oregonaero upgrade military comm, civilian comm...??
dark blue metalic custom paint...dual visor,

MHVLS
13th Aug 2010, 04:07
Hey everyone,

I know there have been a lot of posts about helmets but I am having difficulty deciding.
I have almost got my PPL and am then moving on to CPL, and I am looking for a helmet that is going to last me most if not all my career.
I have been looking at mostly the Alpha 200 and Alpha Eagle 900. I am having trouble choosing between these two helmets. Is there anyone that has used both of these helmets, or has used either of them that could share there opinion with me. Would be much appreciated.

Regards
Richard

TiPwEiGhT
13th Nov 2010, 11:57
Hi folks,

Does anyone here have any experience with the Oregon Areo Upgrades Soft Seal/Hush Kit for the MSA Gallet? Just wondering if it is effective and worth the purchase.

Thanks,

TiP

Earl of Rochester
13th Nov 2010, 12:23
http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/008.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300 (http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/MSA-Gallet-LH250-with-Carbon-Fiber-wNVG-Screwed-Support-Visor-No-Adapter_p_328.html#)

Yes Gallet are the most expensive air crew helmets in the world (this model is over $2,000!) but, in my view, undoubtedly the best in terms of noise protection, weight/comfort and audiotone.

EoR

TiPwEiGhT
13th Nov 2010, 12:38
Yep I agree, am happy with my Gallet but am wondering about the Hush Kit ear cups that Oregon Aero make.

TiP

Raptor_
13th Nov 2010, 13:33
Does anyone here have any experience with the Oregon Areo Upgrades Soft Seal/Hush Kit for the MSA Gallet? Just wondering if it is effective and worth the purchase.I ordered mine with the hush-kit and zetaliner installed, so I can´t debate how big a difference there is from stock. But I can tell you that the helmet is a dream to wear with the hush-kit, and the passive noise reduction is amazing.

TiPwEiGhT
13th Nov 2010, 16:16
Thanks Raptor!

ga8airvan
17th Nov 2010, 15:08
I just bought Gallet LH050 using oregon aero huskit combo and CEP.
And try to fly without CEP just using huskit combo, and sound still very loud, im going to try add more ear spacer so it can more compress, hope its works...

ga8airvan
18th Nov 2010, 09:43
today i add more oval spacer to my combo hushkit, still doesnt work as i thought, sound still loud, and hurt my head around ear...
anyone know how to correct fitting the oregon combos on gallet LH050... or the original earcup using separate huskit and softseal will do better for sound protection..?

solowflyer
22nd May 2011, 06:22
Looking at replacing my SPH5 with an HGU 84 and CEP has anyone used this model? I have a big mellon and find the Gentex helmets more comfortable than the alpha and Gallet Helmets.

dapperdan
22nd May 2011, 07:09
Hi,

I recently got a Gentex helmet that has a low impedance Electret mic o (did i get that right?). In my company our helis has different intercom systems for high and low impedance.
I guess i can do this two ways, either i get another mic, a dynamic one, or i can install a switch on the helmet that switches from low to high impedance.
Im looking primarily to get a switch, because this would cause the least hassle when changing aircraft.
Ive searched the forums for similar posts, but what im looking for is a wiring diagram to build this high-low switch.
Has anyone had the same problem, and found a good solution?

Much appreciated,

Dan

Senior Pilot
22nd May 2011, 07:49
DD,

You may find this post (http://www.pprune.org/6069061-post358.html) to be of some help: the matter has been discussed many times, and it doesn't seem to be a matter of a simple switch.

At least, not that has been answered here!

9Aplus
22nd May 2011, 09:03
Usefull source here, page 16, nice article "Audio Transformers by Bill Whitlock"

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/Audio%20Transformers%20Chapter.pdf

dapperdan
22nd May 2011, 12:05
Thanks guys for the input. Ill look into that handbook, im no expert in electronics but ill give it a shot!

Gomer Pylot
22nd May 2011, 13:26
Some David Clark headset models have the hi-lo switch. They also have a printed circuit card inside, and it's not a matter of a simple switch, you also must have the circuitry. Perhaps DC will sell the circuit card separately, although I've never tried to buy one. DC does have excellent customer service, though, so it's worth a try. I'm also unsure which microphone the switching DC headset uses, but I suspect you'll need to use the same type. A dynamic mike is normally high-impedance, along with most civilian mikes. In the US, only the military normally uses low-impedance electronics, and every civilian aircraft I've been in uses high-impedance.

MikeNYC
22nd May 2011, 14:21
Dapperdan, you could also use an external impedance converter, which would be more simple than carving up your helmet or swapping mics all the time:

Impedance Converter Single Heli to Single Military - Free Shipping $150 or more! (http://www.pilotshop.com/impedance-converter-single-heli-single-military-p-3740.html)

Drawback is that it's battery powered.

bigglesbutler
22nd May 2011, 15:24
I quite like the look of the round case option in the link below, scroll down to the first pictures. I too have a Zulu with a low impedance mic and want the ability to jump into a high impedance heli when needed.

http://www.comm-innovations.com/catalog08/Low%20to%20High%20Impedance%20Adapters.pdf

Si

waragee
22nd May 2011, 20:37
just wondering if there is a simple way to identify which one is which. is it as simple as just not working or a low volume or something like that. for example would it be possible that an R44 that has had other radios and nat boxs fitted somehow have wound up with a low impedence setup instead of a high.
we operate Robinsons and Bell 206's, are we lucky enough that they are common impedance. cheers

zlocko2002
23rd May 2011, 06:47
life suport gang just atached another mike next to original one on my helmet. i only nead to plug in the one that i nead :-) simple and cheep

maeroda
23rd May 2011, 06:56
Hi!
I actually use an HGU-84 with dual visor and CEP.
I use to fly a B412 both Offshore for many hours and Hems.
Is a great helmet even if a little bit complicated to trim it for head comfort.
Installed an Oregon Aero zetaliner and hear cushions; great headgear.

maeroda

aclark79
23rd May 2011, 09:38
I had a dual impedance switch installed by helicopter helmets.com when they refurbishment my helmet. I like it alot but it does require the right mic/speaker set up. It works just as advertised, lets me switch between our aircraft without changing any mics or having an external converter.

Pandalet
24th May 2011, 10:30
I recently went through this, needing to convert my high impedance Zulu to a low impedance aircraft. After going through some people who only pretended to know what they were doing, I eventually ended up with a battery-powered converter box. This works well, in that I can use my headset, but screwed up the vox system in the aircraft, resulting in my mic being permanantly open; ok(ish) if you're flying on your own, but a bit tough on everyone else if you're not.

If you're particularly interested in the specific differences between the technologies, drop me a pm.

Gomer Pylot
24th May 2011, 14:19
Why do companies buy aircraft with different impedance avionics systems? It's more expensive in the long run, since two sets of parts have to be kept in inventory, and it's a PITA for all involved. Why not just get the proper avionics in the first place? Here only the military uses low-impedance avionics, and that is purely a matter of inertia, since there are no technical reasons. I've never seen a civilian aircraft with low-impedance avionics, and I'm curious as to why they're in use elsewhere.

Semi Rigid
24th May 2011, 19:33
I have a HGU84, dual visor,CEP kit, flex boom etc. etc. Haven't had it a year yet but very very impressed. I got the standard liner but some of the other slaves at work have also bought HGU84's in the last few months and went with the 'custom liner' - i think that is what it's called- bloody neat & not a lot of difference in price. I bought mine from Gibson Barnes - it was a surplus military helmet - they get orders from the military then if someone washes out the helmet gets returned. Saved me $100 bucks but wld probably just go for the brand new next time. Wasn't overly impressed with the finish of the bone dome, couple of holes on front profile which hadn't been filled in - maybe from the face shield mount or something to to with the original single visor mount. I used some extra 'fillers' from my SPH4B to pack out the ears some more and I have to say that this helmet combined with the CEP blocks out that much noise that I would say that a noisy stinky 8 hour day now feels more like 3 or 4 hours - the huge reduction in fatigue that I am feeling should be cause for further investigation.
Have heard people complaining about the avionics of Gallet but others swear by them. Given that they are made by the French is enough reason for me to steer clear. The Alpha? Well another colleague wears one & it is incredibly light - he has pulled all the attachments offa it and made his own sun 'motorbike' style peak - where my 84 weighs near 2kg his weighs about 800gms! I would gamble that any Gallet or Alpha wearer who tried a HGU84 would be convinced of the superior comfort & you don't have to annoyingly readjust the harness once you have the lid on yer scone as you do with Alpha. Took me a month to get used to the weight but neck mucsles have adjusted now.
Sizing. I wld go XL and use packing if needed. The XL HGU84 is very trim & sleek - what i mean is that it is not a huge clunker that will bang into everything - the XL is definately not cavernous. I have a very average size head, bloody ugly but a big brain.

B Sousa
25th May 2011, 00:58
You can spend a ton, get a custom paint job with all kinds of Air Brush etc........Me. I have been wearing gentex for over 40 years and I have zero complaints.
I bought my last one from Ronn at www.helicopterhelmet.com (http://www.helicopterhelmet.com)

Hedge36
25th May 2011, 02:51
I haven't worn an -84 in about fifteen years... can anyone comment on the profile of the -84 versus the SPH-4B/5 and/or HGU-56? I'm thinking in terms of overhead clearance (I'm 6'1").

I've been leaning toward the -56 in terms of a more advanced level of safety, but any dual-visor helmet that makes me fly around with my head tilted toward the center of the aircraft or makes me slouch in my seat will hurt me more in operation than protect me if I stuff up.

bellsux
29th Jun 2011, 05:33
Unpacked my new Gallet LH350 Helmet today and was very impressed with it. Good build quality, comfortable, and doesn't sit as high as other helmets. The chin strap is more comfortable than I thought and a huge improvement on the older design, easier to put on and take off with a snap buckle like a car seat belt.

The only problem I had with it was the supplied microphone, it has a High / Low impedance switch fitted in the back and a M-101 microphone. Using a NAT AMS42 comm box and King radios I could transmit with sidetone but the ICS wouldn't work. I ended up swapping the microphone with an Electret one and put the switch to the L position which fixed the problem.

lelebebbel
29th Jun 2011, 06:27
You don't happen to have a LH250 for comparison, do you? I'm wondering if the 350 is more or less bulky.

ZFOX
29th Jun 2011, 07:09
LH350 pics would be greatly appreciated! :ok:

Been hunting for a LH250 for a while now. But now since the 350 was introduced I might need to take a look at it.

As a tall fellow, 186/6'2, I bump my head all over the place especially when slingin'. The 250 is the most compact helmet I've found so far. Smart looking too. Would be nice to hear how the 350 compares as the Eagle is too bulky for my taste and Gentex models are heavy'ish.

Ps. First post! yey!

bellsux
29th Jun 2011, 07:34
The LH350 has it's electronics built into the back of the helmet and the visor hardware on the side which keeps the c of g down, taller drivers should like the extra head clearance. You can roll your head around quite freely with this helmet which is a plus. The ear cups are not as snug as the 250 and need to be jiggled a bit after donning the helmet. I suppose it will take me a bit of time swapping the padding to get a perfect fit. The ear cups are also quite big which pushes the shape of the helmet out sideways but gives really good passive noise reduction.

The visor levers are different shapes one each on the left and right and slide down as far as needed without friction screws. They are accessible with the front of the helmet flipping up for cleaning or changing and sit well into the helmet without risk of the microphone or visor cover scratching them.

A leather inside lining and cotton skull cap would be a good option for this helmet for hot days so it doesn't start smelling like a pair of old socks.

I have used Gentex, Alpha and the LH250 before and so far I am pretty impressed the design and feel of the LH350 and I am fairly sure this model will generate a lot of sales for Gallet.

bellsux
29th Jun 2011, 08:25
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/bellsux/P6290015.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/bellsux/P6290013.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/bellsux/P6290014.jpg

lelebebbel
29th Jun 2011, 09:10
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Now, does anyone want to buy a kidney?

ZFOX
30th Jun 2011, 00:27
Wow! Thank you good sir! :ok: Too good.

Yeah you can clearly notice the lower n' wider profile which ought to help a lot! Goddamn. Another kidney for sale! Low mileage runs good!

:D

Unhinged
30th Jun 2011, 11:37
Verrry tempted indeed !! Got the details from FHA today. I can cope with the price but was very surprised when they said "there is no ANR as the noise attenuation is very good."

Anyone willing to vouch for the LH350's passive noise attenuation being as good as ANR ? Seems pretty unlikely, but I'd love it to be true ...

rotorrookie
30th Jun 2011, 14:10
Verrry tempted indeed !! Got the details from FHA today. I can cope with the price but was very surprised when they said "there is no ANR as the noise attenuation is very good."

That was probably their goal with the new helmet because latest studies show that ANR is not so good as hearing protection and you are just as vurnable to hearing loss due to high frequency exposure using it.
But this helmet looks very cool....
Bellsux are you happy to share the price?

Unhinged
30th Jun 2011, 22:53
latest studies show that ANR is not so good as hearing protection and you are just as vurnable to hearing loss due to high frequency exposure using it.
We've always known that ANR primarily deals with low frequency noise, and it's the padding that primarily attenuates the high frequency noise. But "just as vulnerable to hearing loss" is news to me, and I'd be interested to read the studies if you have a link. Anyway, for me the hearing protection is a (very important) secondary benefit of ANR. The main reason I like it is because I can hear what's happening with the aircraft so must better.

Bellsux are you happy to share the price?
They quoted me near enough $A 2650 + gst

500e
1st Jul 2011, 14:42
Headsets Incorporated - Active noise reduction for aviation (http://www.headsetsinc.com/)
Read ANR special report lower left & click.
Both the Bose & Lightspeed passive response are :{

ZFOX
2nd Jul 2011, 00:07

Hmm. Waiting for that claim to be roadtested :E

Anyone thought of a CEP kit?

That would provide the extra oomph for long flights or long lining while not being necessary for everyday use.

By the way, am I the only one that would not want to drill a hole in an egg-shaped fiber/composite structure worth $3.5k? The engineer in me tells that I would be ruining it :hmm: (Just a thought lads)

Also: More pics!

500e
2nd Jul 2011, 23:25
Had long conversation regarding holes in helmets ST I tend to be with you on that front.
But saying that there were retro fit of Hanss devices on motor sport helmets, The RAC said as long as an authorised person did it it was ok! the problem there was the product you were drilling holes in was a British Standard tested item, tested without holes my contention was once modified it no longer had that approval wither the person who drilled was aproved or not.
I would expect the insurers to be looking at ANY modification of the main structure

Unhinged
3rd Jul 2011, 08:34
Hmm. Waiting for that claim to be roadtested http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

I haven't tried if of course, but I just don't believe it can be as good as a competent ANR system. Even if the passive attenuation is pretty good now ... I'd bet they'll be offering ANR in it eventually. The only question is when. I would love one now, but I'd love it even more with better audio ...

zalt
5th Nov 2011, 19:57
Has anyone studied this report?

http://www.cnlopb.nl.ca/pdfs/ohsi/hatsubgroup.pdf

It follows the Cougar S-92 accident and the horrific head injuries the crew recieved.

212man
6th Nov 2011, 01:29
Thanks for the link - very interesting.

Our Alphas arrived last week.......:ok:

hueyracer
6th Nov 2011, 05:02
I like the shape of the Alpha...
Currently flying with a Gallet 250-and i hate it.

Way too bulky, especially when you´re doing long line work-also pretty heavy.

Went back to my old military SPH-4, which is smaller-and weighs less..

Prefer flying with headsets whenever possible-but long lining with doors off, and your head outside of the chopper=helmet, here we go!

Can anyone compare a SPH-4 to an SPH-5?
Any experiences?
Would it be worth changing?

alouette
6th Nov 2011, 09:24
I always had the impression that the Gallet is the lightest helmet available...:O

squib66
6th Nov 2011, 11:31
212man said: Our Alphas arrived last week.......

A few questions:

1) Are they for routine use or special tasks (eg SAR, USL etc)? The Canadian report argues they should not be required for 'Line Operations' (ie crew change flights)
2) Are they paid for by BSP? Cougar only partially subsidise their crew who want a helemt.
3) What colour are they? The report suggest white is not good.
4) What hazards drove the decision? Head injury in a crash, bird strike protection, noise protection etc?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

To me the Canadian report does smack of justifying the status quo. Why else would two passengers be involved in the risk assessment workshop?

lelebebbel
6th Nov 2011, 11:37
I always had the impression that the Gallet is the lightest helmet available...

According to MSA it is "less than 1kg for all models", but I am fairly sure that must be without coms. Maybe even just the bare shell without visors.
My large LH050 with basic coms (no ANR) weighs 1.21kg ready to fly.
The 250 is pretty much the same thing with another visor stuck on top, so it must be at least 200-300g more than that. It would also be more top heavy.

212man
7th Nov 2011, 08:31
Squib,
1) All flights
2) Company paid
3) White - but our sea states are mild, so the issue highlighted isn't relevant
4) All of the reasons you give (they have ANR fitted too)

To me the Canadian report does smack of justifying the status quo

I tend to agree!

maeroda
7th Nov 2011, 08:45
lelebebbel

so....comparing your infos about Gallets and my two Gentex HGU-56 & HGU-84 (both with dual lens and visor, Oregon Aero TPL, lip-light and 3 layers color coating) they weight almost the same: +/- 1500gr.

zalt
7th Nov 2011, 17:19
212man

Will this be a Shell standard for all their operators?

And I agree with the comment on the Canadian report too.

Colibri49
8th Nov 2011, 18:41
Let me refer you to the previous thread on this topic:

Helmets in offshore ops? (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/282095-helmets-offshore-ops.html)

They should never be made compulsory in North Sea ops in my opinion, for safety reasons stated in the thread and because no civilian accident in the UK North Sea sectors has ever resulted in deaths due to the non-wearing of helmets.

The statistical risks relating to non-wearing of helmets in this theatre come nowhere near the increased risks due to discomfort and fatigue which would be caused by being obliged to wear them.

I speak from much experience in military, agricultural, forestry, underslung and offshore operations as a pilot over 4 decades.

LRP
9th Nov 2011, 21:55
SPH-4 to SPH-5: The SPH-5 is lighter, more comfortable, superior retention and acoustic protection. Definitely worth changing.

Colibri49
10th Nov 2011, 07:59
Thanks Mr. Moderator.

squib66
10th Nov 2011, 18:48
This report to EASA (http://www.easa.eu.int/rulemaking/docs/research/Final%20report%20Bird%20Strike%20Study.pdf) argues that the regulators should consider requiring helicopter pilots to wear helmets and visors to mitigate the effects of windshield bird strike penetrations.

This is because 5 to 8% of bird strike on large, Part 29 rotorcraft are occurring above the current test criteria, many of the other strikes are still resulting in windscreen penetration and there are actually no bird impact tests currently required for Part 27 rotorcraft.

Zio Nick
5th Dec 2011, 14:18
Hi everybody,

As I am going to but my Gentex helmet from this company:
Government Sales, Inc. (Flight Helmets - Flight Suits - Aviation Helmets (http://www.aviationhelmets.com/index.htm)),
I would like to know if any of you has experience with them and if they are reliable..

Any info?
Thanks in advance,
Zio

500e
6th Dec 2011, 14:23
Helicopter Helmet Comparison Chart - Gentex, Alpha and MSA Gallet side by side comparisons (http://www.aviationsurvival.com/helicopterhelmet_131.htm)

alouette
15th Dec 2011, 04:10
I need a helicopter helmet, and look for a source/seller. Information is appreciated. Thanks!!!:ok:

Martin1234
15th Jan 2012, 14:37
When comparing the noise attenuation level between the David Clark H10-56 and helmets I noticed that the noise attenuation for frequencies up to about 4000 Hz is actually better on the headset but better on helmets for higher frequencies. Are passive helmets still preferred if you want good noise attenuation compared to passive headsets for turbine and/or piston helicopters?

Is there any passive headset that has better noise attenuation than the David Clark H10-56? Does the K10 helmet kit offer any reduction in noise level?

Gomer Pylot
15th Jan 2012, 22:54
Both the Quiet Technologies Halo and the Clarity Aloft headsets have better noise attenuation than any domed headset, as well as ANR headsets. They are also cheaper and much more comfortable. But not being traditional, they aren't as popular. With a helmet or headset, you can either use CEPs or just foam earplugs and get the highest attenuation possible.

Heliboy68
16th Jan 2012, 20:12
It is understandable that due to the very nature of the multi-role usage we find ourselves in nowadays: one minute slinging a dirty drill and the next flying tourists around looking at views or fishing, the question of helmet or not to helmet could merley be down to a perception of those being carried.

Ultimatley it is down to the individual and perhaps the operator/manager prefrence concerning a particular role. My position is wearing a helmet what ever the role!! I stand no greater risk from becoming incapacited due to a bird strike during corporate roles than I do from sling. Plus as I spend the most time in the driver's seat, I guess statistically I am at a higher risk of a injury.

It is wholly personal, I advocate wearing them always. I have a Gentex but see the Galet range has come on leaps and bounds.

hueyracer
5th Feb 2012, 16:31
Currently using the LH250-and would trade it for anything......
Too bulky....too uncomfortable (i have tried all the different options-can´t get it to fit properly), too noisy....

Upon next chance, i will get myself another Gentex....

Used to fly (and still do every now and then) an old SPH-4......anyone can compare the SPH4 to the SPH5?

Is it worth getting a 5 instead another 4?

skadi
5th Feb 2012, 17:37
My Opinion: The Gallet is not as noisy as the SPH 4/5, has a better C of G, even when shaking the head, the earcups are tight. The adjustement to your head is easily done. I am positively impressed after more than 30yrs Gentex...

I think the LH350 would be an option....

skadi

Flyting
7th Feb 2012, 05:44
I did wonder about building my own, using something along the lines of an Arai SZ (http://www.whyarai.co.uk/cgi-bin/arai_product.pl?id=11348A&desc=Arai.SZ.Light.Diamond.White) - I'm sure a helmet intercom specialist could handle the job

I also thought about it, because it can't be that hard, especially with CEP, but read back a few pages and you'll see the discussion about it.

bellsux
20th Feb 2012, 11:54
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/TheMufti_2007/SDC12780.jpg

If you have got a LH350 it would pay to carry out this small modification to your helmet as the cable can pull out of the back and break the wires as happened to one of my colleagues. Gallet sent a letter to him along with a new cable with instructions to fit a ty-wrap with a 3-5mm sheath length out of the p-clip.

I did mine as shown and pretty easy to do.
1. Remove the four (metric) screws and lift off the cover on the back of the helmet.
2. Check the length is 3-5 mm past the p-clip.
3. Fit a good quality ty-wrap (not one from the $2 shop) taking care not to damage the PCB when trimming.
4. Take note when putting the cover plate back on that you get the little locator tab in between the cable and plate.
5. Torque up the screws evenly and don't do them up too tight as you could break the anchor nut mounts.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/TheMufti_2007/SDC12783.jpg

R.OCKAPE
20th Feb 2012, 13:12
Nice job thanks for posting that
I am thinking about getting the LH 350 in the near future

ps the big Bell's rule

Carps
25th Feb 2012, 23:35
Got a question about the LH350.

I just bought one recently and am in the process of fitting it so it is comfortable.

I find the earcups in their normal position seem a touch high, and my earlobes are squashed under the bottom seal of the earcup.

I've tried moving the earcups down a centimetre and this creates a fantastic seal, however it is an absolute pain to get on (as in, actually hurts, as well as being frustrating), and when I have the strap done up, it presses the earcups against my temples causing a headache.

Any ideas? Apart from ear lobe shortening surgery?

Flyting
26th Feb 2012, 07:31
Jst came across this Northwall.it (http://www.northwall.it/en/) helmet range and was wandering if anyone has used them?
Their site is up to a bit of sh1t with links not working so no info online!!!

500e
26th Feb 2012, 16:30
Vertical Freedom may have some input he operates in Nepal There is a link to that part of the world.
One of the not working links, as you say the sight requires more work.
flying Nepal with L (http://www.northwalls.org/news/articolo_105.html)MT

Flight-Idle
27th Feb 2012, 00:25
Here's a brochure i cam across:

http://www.northwall.it/media/download/LMT%20brochure%20en.pdf

Flyting
27th Feb 2012, 04:19
Saw that one as well, but it doesn't give much info on the pilot's helmet.

Weighs only 660g so I'm interrested to hear about first hand experience...

FYR
17th Jul 2012, 11:41
Hello boys

For a number of reasons i've been forced to buy a helmet, and found myself either an SHP-4b or SHP-5, the box says 5, the bags inside all say 4b. From what i can reckon the difference is mostly in the shell (which is important enough i know)

The bloke i bought it from told me that the mic had a tendency to pick up a lot of cockpit static, and that the passive sound-dampening could be a lot better.
Im therefore looking into upgrading the helmet, but I am in doubts about how much I should do, should I go for an ANR kit, og just focus on making the passive noise reduction better? And in which case, do any of you know of any good kits i can fit myself?

I will be flying R22's and 44's mostly, as part of my education.
I've been told that ANR isnt too good in two bladed helos, not sure about that tho...

Thanks in advance!

FYR

rjtjrt
17th Jul 2012, 12:09
FYR
I am no expert, but a CEP kit is a good and arguably better way to protect hearing and enhance communication, than an ANR

Google CEP Helmet Kit or similar.

John

FYR
17th Jul 2012, 13:30
Hey John

Thanks for the input, I've looked into the CEP's and they seem like an alternative, but the thought of wearing earplugs every day doesnt sound appealing. Dunno about CEP's maybe they're more comfortable than regular plugs?

Flyting
17th Jul 2012, 14:53
I've just ordered my helmet fitted with CEP's and I had the same worry as you, so I started flying with memory foam ear plugs.... I wish I had done this years ago as I find it much better, especially when flying with doors off.

Give it a try...
What I've researched is that ANR does't work that great with doors off.

FYR
17th Jul 2012, 18:35
Will be flying in Norway from august, so I think I'll keep the doors closed and latched :p

Was looking at this combo, anyone tried that?
Price List - OREGON AERO® AVIATION HELMET UPGRADES (http://www.oregonaero.com/prlist-helmetupgradessph4b.htm)

Hawkeye0001
17th Jul 2012, 18:42
CEP = best money I've ever spent.
Works far better than my brand new ANR headset, esp. with doors off flight or if the earcups don't seal 100% (e.g. sunglasses)
Don't worry about wearing them all day, the foam plugs come in 3 differents sizes (or get molds made) and are super comfy. It's likely you forgot about them by the time you pull off the brain bucket. Plus they are really simple for DIY installation.

Bellrider
2nd Feb 2013, 20:18
Any advices wich pilot helmets are the best??
Presently i only wear headsets ( bose a20)
Thanks for all input!
Greetings from Good Old Germany

Aesir
2nd Feb 2013, 20:27
Alpha Eagle or Gentex.

Actually are there any others. These two types are the ones you almost always see people use. I own and work with both types and both are good.

2nd Feb 2013, 20:36
MSA Gallet LH 050/250 fitted with Bose A20, just fantastic.

Rotatohead
2nd Feb 2013, 20:38
You should certainly consider the Gallet LH line of helmets.
I'm very happy with my LH250. Haven't tried the new LH 350 yet...

African Eagle
2nd Feb 2013, 21:04
Gallet, absolute all-time no.1 best helmet that I've ever used. :ok: :ok: :ok:

(And I've used both Gentex and Alpha).

What Limits
2nd Feb 2013, 22:13
Had several Alphas in 30 years of flying. No contest.

tbc
2nd Feb 2013, 22:42
The White Helmets of course!!!:ok:

Foggy Bottom
2nd Feb 2013, 22:57
Pretty much all of the helmets do what they are designed to do. The main thing is the proper fit! I also recommend CEP's for better hearing protection.

hueyracer
3rd Feb 2013, 03:51
I have the Gallet 250-and hate it.

It is more important to find the right helmet for YOU.

Try them on, fly with them, if possible.

I still prefer the Gentex SPH4.

BK_Driver
3rd Feb 2013, 04:33
I've flown for 24 years. In that time, I've worn Gentex SPH5, Alpha Eagle and am currently wearing Gallet LH250.
For me, the Gallet wins by a mile. Fit, comfort, weight, and hearing protection are all superior to the others.

As others have said, the best one for you will be the one that you find the most comfortable!

Jet Ranger
3rd Feb 2013, 08:27
I don´t know which one is the best, but MSA Gallet LH350 is definitively the most expensive (maybe double than Gentex). It´s not worth that.

I have both, the old good Gentex SPH and Gallet LH350. We bought LH350 because of dual-impendance switch (low and high), the helmet is really state-of-art, light, fantastic visors (yellow for fog, and dark-green for sun), good hearing protection, rear carrier for NVG battery... Personally I´m very satisfy with it.

But - it is not so comfortable as Gentex. Shell is not flexible and it seems to me, smaller than standard. Half of pilots don´t like them because of that and complain about that.
My suggestion is, try before buying. And if you buy Gallet LH350 be careful with M-size ...very tiny:{! Rather buy L-size.

...or, rather buy Gentex!

JR

Bellrider
5th Feb 2013, 18:26
Great infos! Thanks to all!
I will try both!
....the bad thing: not easy to buy one in germany.... there are no dealer out there....
Germany is really not the home of helos, i have to get out of here!!!

Anthony Supplebottom
5th Feb 2013, 18:45
Bellrider, why not visit HeliExpo (http://www.rotor.com/Events/HELIEXPO2013.aspx)?

You can also arrange to visit some helmet suppliers while you're out there.

Flyting
7th Feb 2013, 06:01
Hi Bellrider
I had the same problem in Austria... if only there was somewhere you could just pop round to try them all on!!!
After a ton of research and asking everyone I could, I settled for the Alpha Eagle with a dual visor (dark & yellow) with a CEP kit for slinging doors off...
Go to www.aviationsurvival.com (http://www.aviationsurvival.com) as tehy are really quick and helpfull. I tried various companies accross Europe but their response time to my requests was about the same time it took aviation survival to send me the helmet :ugh: Like they don't want the work here!
They will also send it through the post with a substantially reduced invoice so you won't end up paying a huge import tax :ok::ok::ok:

But, like others have said, the best is to try each one on and see if it fits YOUR head. Best I can suggest is to go visit the medevac guys as they will ostly fly with helmets and ask if you can try theirs on...

hueyracer
7th Feb 2013, 06:51
For the helo-drivers in Germany:

You can spend me a visit and try the Gallet 250 (Large) and the Gentex SPH4 (regular)-if you want..

Rotatohead
7th Feb 2013, 08:38
Regarding the LH250:

I couldn't wear it straightout of the box. You need to spend some time setting it up with the right cushions inside. Took me about 10 flights until I got it right. I can now wear it for 8hours straight and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I never got my old SHP4 to a comparable comfortable level.

Bellrieder:

http://www.aircraftsprucegermany.com/ (http://www.aircraftsprucegermany.com/)

only approved Gallet Dealerin Germany. Maybe ask him to bring one to the AERO this year?

Also be aware that thereare lots of fake Gentex helmet around in Germany. Even still sold atsome pilot shops.

skadi
7th Feb 2013, 09:41
Regarding the LH250:

I couldn't wear it straightout of the box. You need to spend some time setting it up with the right cushions inside. Took me about 10 flights until I got it right. I can now wear it for 8hours straight and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I never got my old SHP4 to a comparable comfortable level.

Confirmed! :ok:

skadi

apb
9th Jul 2013, 10:32
Hi, I have a MSA Gallet LH350 without volume control and I would like to buy a plug-in volume control that works well with this helmet, somebody could help me?, where could I buy something like that in Europe?

rotorrookie
16th Sep 2013, 21:55
GPA Helmets - Shop GPA Aircraft Helmets | GPA Riding Helmets (http://www.burnoutitaly.com/gpa-aircraft-helmet)

and then just use the comms from an old headset and you have a helmet for less than 500$

African Eagle
26th Oct 2013, 06:54
The flying suits and bone dome/visor kits worn by UK police ops are just there for the tv reality shows. Real pilots do not need the Top Gun kit.

According to Ye Olde Pilot, helmets are a waste of time worn only by posers - maybe, but I would like clarification on something I was told if anyone can assist.

Before I bought my first helmet I was told that apart from being able to save your life in the event of an accident, helmets are more effective in providing noise protection than headsets.

It was explained to me that noise/sound is not only transmitted through the ear canal but that noise/soundwaves literally bounce off the human skull which can even amplify certain resonances. I was told that a helmet's outer surface is an effective deflector for a wide range of soundwaves and a significant improvement in sound protection when compared with a headset. I've also been told that a helmet is more likely to protect the wearer against the onset of Tinnitus.

Have I been told a pack of lies or do helmets in fact offer better hearing protection than headsets?

26th Oct 2013, 07:06
I do not have any documented evidence but I would agree with all that you have stated. With the visor down the sound protection is increase (from what I have witnessed).

I have been wearing one (with anr) for the past 10 years and would do everything to protect my hearing.

They also protect your noggin in the case of;

Head Impact
Bird strike (through the windsheild) whilst visor is down
partial protection from FOD when outside the aircraft with visor down
Would you ride a motorcycle without a full face helmet these days?

Cheers

Hedge36
27th Oct 2013, 04:12
For me, a constant wearer of prescription glasses, a helmet is simply much more convenient than a headset. I can keep debris out of my eyes and I don't have to swap from clear to shaded glasses every time the conditions change. Transition lenses are useless in the cockpit.

Hughes500
27th Oct 2013, 17:54
African Eagle

Wouldn't listen to Ye olde pilot he obviously is an idiot. I could give you the e mail addresses of 2 pilots who, had they been wearing a helmet would still have their flying licences and their health. Both pilots involved in crashes, both severe head injuries from the plexi glass, one in a coma for 3 weeks, 3 years later still cant walk properly and has trouble doing everyday things, now if that is being a poser well I would prefer to be a poser than being permanently disabled for life.
I have worn a helmet for 20 years and 7000 hours, still have perfect hearing, in fact AME says I have the best hearing of any pilot of my age he sees and that includes the fixed wing boys

O27PMR
27th Oct 2013, 18:12
Hughes 500 is quite right, the guy is obviously an idiot or just trying to be controversial.

1 - The benefits of wearing a helmet are obvious and irrefutable.

2 - The flying suits and helmets worn by Police Air Support units are not only worn while filming reality TV shows, they are worn ALL the time!

Ultimately no one really cares whether YOU choose to wear a helmet or not but personally I like mine and wouldn't be without it.

"Real pilots do not need the Top Gun kit" No, they probably don't need to carry out pre-flights or wear harnesses either... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Ye Olde Pilot
28th Oct 2013, 22:03
I'm not trying to be controversial just giving my take on a lot of the 'safety brigade' kit worn these days.

If you need a helmet in a 206 then you need one in a Robbo which is much more likely to be involved in an accident. Nomex flying suit? Better get one of those as well as the leather gloves.

If it's needed in a rotary wing then you need it in a fixed wing. C152 pilots learning to fly? Give them a helmet,suit,gloves,goggles,hiz viz.Where does it all stop? Parachute perhaps?

We have so many hi viz jackets now the fact is when I drive somewhere I don't see them. Cyclists wearing helmets are still dying.

My 70 year old neighbour mows his lawn on a ride on wearing protective headsets. He'll die long before his hearing or mower give up.

I got my helicopter license decades ago wearing shorts and a t shirt in a Robbo with no doors in Oz. I'm still here and would never wear that 'Kaptain Klown' kit as Vertical Freedom describes it so well on his thread.

Let me ask this question.

Should Vertical Freedom be wearing a jet jockey helmet with oxygen mask and a full flying suit with epaulettes?

Does my son need the Stig outfit to drive his small economy car?

No.

When you look at helicopter accidents there are very few if any where a helmet would save you.

African Eagle
28th Oct 2013, 22:44
Should Vertical Freedom be wearing a jet jockey helmet with oxygen mask and a full flying suit with epaulettes?

Only he can answer that question.

For me the problem comes when you rubbish safety items such as flying helmets which serve multiple purposes including hearing protection, critical protection of vision in the event of a window break, protection from glare - some helmets have provision for multiple visors as well as general head protection.

You've got to look at the work you are doing. Maybe if you are flying tourists on a 30 min flight over the Barrier Reef you might not have the same need for a helmet as someone flying all day doing utility work such as sling loads or spraying or someone flying over rugged terrain where if you go down you know more than likely its going to be hard to find a flat spot.

Regarding Robinsons, I heard that some Australian muster pilots wear helmets and which I imagine is probably a good thing.

John Eacott
29th Oct 2013, 00:09
YOP,

What a load of twaddle you are putting up: I see your comment that you learnt to fly here in Australia, I wonder where you really got such a warped set of ideas regarding flying equipment?

Not every helicopter specifically needs a helmet to be worn, but a combination of task and type will dictate the overall requirement. Mustering in a Robbo, yes, joyflights no. Low level filming in a 206/350 yes, police ops in any type yes, firefighting in any type yes, and so on.

Your obsession with decrying the use of both safety equipment and your derision of those whose employment requires some form of uniform is laughable. I trust that one day you aren't exposed to an accident where the use of a helmet or the wearing of flame retardant clothing may have saved your life.

Ye Olde Pilot
29th Oct 2013, 00:16
I got my initial Aussie helicopter licence with Great Western Helicopters..Jandakot Perth 1989.

Are you now saying all muster pilots are wearing the full top gun kit?

Do you know how hot it gets in West Australia in summer?
Shade temps hit 40c every day. You'll be telling me next it's not safe to remove the doors?

In the case of most muster accidents a helmet or flying suit would not have saved the pilot.

John Eacott
29th Oct 2013, 00:23
I got my initial Aussie helicopter licence with Great Western Helicopters..Jandakot Perth 1989.

I didn't say that, but African Eagle made a comment about wearing helmets (this is a helmet thread). Again you are attempting to highjack discussions and comments to suit your warped agenda, no-one but you has referred to 'top gun kit'.

Most images these days seem to support his observation about helmet wearing whilst mustering:

http://www.airtg.com.au/media/images/content/detail/mustering_muster-text141.jpg

John Eacott
29th Oct 2013, 00:40

Do you know how hot it gets in West Australia in summer?
Shade temps hit 40c every day. You'll be telling me next it's not safe to remove the doors?

In the case of most muster accidents a helmet or flying suit would not have saved the pilot.

Since you've edited your original diatribe, I'll add to my original response!

No-one but you is saying all muster pilots should wear full protective clothing, but this thread on helmets has discussed the value of wearing helmets in low level operations. Many years ago I was knocked unconscious in a low level filming crash where I didn't wear a helmet, it could well have affected my survival had there been a post impact fire.

Do I know how hot it gets in WA? I started my Oz flying in Derby in 1979, and was there again in a non-aircon S76 in January/February last year. Yes, I've a reasonable idea of what it's like. No-one but you has raised door off ops and last time I looked no-one had commented that it is unsafe. Indeed, I thoroughly enjoy having the doors off in hot weather, filming, photography, fire ops (Helitack bombing) and a myriad of other operations.

Most of which are carried out wearing the appropriate clothing for the task, including a helmet when needed. Regardless of the temperature.

African Eagle
29th Oct 2013, 08:39
When you look at helicopter accidents there are very few if any where a helmet would save you.

Pilot in chopper crash has 'serious head injuries' - Queenstown News (http://www.scene.co.nz/pilot-in-chopper-crash-has-serious-head-injuries/313039a1.page)

I need to wear a helmet just to handle your posts YOP! :ugh:

charlieDontSurf
29th Oct 2013, 11:08
YOP, you are funny...:yuk:

A good friend of mine was in a helicopter crash with one fatality, and he wore a helmet (Gallet 250), with his visor down.
The front window smashed to pieces, with debris flying everywhere, the helicopter rolled after impact.
After the accident he told me to always have the visor down (clear or shaded), that the helmet and visor really saved him that day.

I know there has been a few accidents in the old days with heavy helmets, where the crew broke their necks after survivable crashes due to heavy helmets. But with a modern helmet I can only see benefits.
Of course, one have to wear whatever one finds more comfortable.

I wear corrective lenses, so I find it more convenient with the integrated shades in the helmet, plus better hearing-protection (the glasses push the earcups on headsets out, letting noise in), and headprotection.
One don't have to crash to need a helmet eighter, there are birdstrikes and heavy turbulence also.

YOP, you sound like a guy that think it's rubbish to wear seatbelts in a car too. In Norway, 43% of the fatalities following a car-accident didn't wear seatbelts. That kind of says it all.
Besides, you need to wear a helmet if you are flying with NVG.

Nomex... We used nomex suits in my previous job, except when it was really hot (maybe a month during the summer, we are talking about Norway after all..:p). At least it was a uniform that made us look proffesional, but it's also a safety item I wouldn't be without since we hot-refuelled several times a day.

Back to the helmet-discussion, it's pretty much personal preferences and what fits your head and needs.
I flew with a Alpha helmet for 9 years and love that helmet, and the ability to close the cups around your ears after putting the helmet on. And it's fairly light.

Now I use a Gallet 250 with integrated Bose A20 ANR headsets, and I like that one too. It took a bit more fine-tuning and modification to make it fit well.
In the S-92 it's pretty noisy, so it actually took out the ANR, before I stuffed the helmet full of noise-isolation plates (the ones you use in a car). After that, and after adjusting it to fit a bit tighter than perfect, it gives me far better noise-protection than the Alpha. I swapped back to the Alpha to compare on a few flights.
And in addition I use earplugs with 25 decibel filter, shaped after my ear.

But I can agree that in certain situations we are "securing ourselves to death", but I think that's more regulation-vice, that make certain tasks unneccesary complicated, instead of having SOP's that cover common tasks.

212man
29th Oct 2013, 13:13
I investigated an AB412 accident in Southern Europe in August, where the single pilot was without doubt saved by his helmet.

rotornut
29th Oct 2013, 13:55
Having suffered a subdural hematoma caused by a fall unrelated to a helicopter, I would never do anything that might affect my head unless I wore a helmet - bicycling, hockey, and helicopter flying.

nomorehelosforme
5th Nov 2013, 20:12
Why do some pilots opt to wear helmets and some don't in basically light/ pax transfer operations, is there a requirement in different countries?

Gordy
5th Nov 2013, 21:58
Personal preference.....

I wear a helmet when required by contract.... or by risk assessment, otherwise will not wear one.

500guy
6th Nov 2013, 23:06
Agreed, its a personal preference, not something I think companies should be dictating to their pilots.

turboshaft
11th Nov 2013, 20:32
One for Veterans Day.

Guts and gumption: Vietnam helicopter pilots wore their hearts on their helmets (http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/vietnam-helicopter-pilots-wore-their-hearts-on-their-helmets/)

Ye Olde Pilot
12th Nov 2013, 01:20
It's getting to the stage now where everyone needs a hard hat and a hi viz vest just to walk out the front door to park the rubbish bin.

Makes you wonder how they got through World War 1 and 2 without the safety kit and the inspectors/paperwork.

It won't be long before grandma has a SWAT jacket with all the tools.

What's next..rent a moped on holiday with bone dome and leathers?

Fly the Robbo with the clown suit,ribbons and hat. More chance of dying in the R22 than a turbine helicopter.

Turboshaft...
The helmets were worn in 'nam to deflect bullets. You don't find them whizzing past too much these days.I doubt most of the big mouth's here have ever been to Vietnam

What next...parachutes for all fixed wing pilots to complement their nomex suits and four bars?

African Eagle
12th Nov 2013, 08:00
YOP seriously - what is your problem?

Nubian
12th Nov 2013, 13:31
YOP,

Give us a break! This is a thread about which helmet to choose, NOT if you like to wear it or not.

You can just continue to "drive'' your Robbie in your flip-flops,dirty T-shirt, homemade jeans-shorts and cowboy hat!

African Eagle
19th Nov 2013, 16:21
From the Canadian accident report posted by Bertie Thruster -

Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Aviation Investigation Report A12O0030 (http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2012/a12w0031/a12w0031.asp)

The second most frequently injured body region in survivable helicopter crashes is the head. According to United States military research, the risk of fatal head injuries can be as high as 6 times greater for helicopter occupants not wearing head protection. The effects of non-fatal head injuries range from momentary confusion and inability to concentrate to full loss of consciousness. Incapacitation can compromise a pilot’s ability to escape quickly from a helicopter and to assist passengers in an emergency evacuation or survival situation. The TSB has documented a number of occurrences in which the use of head protection likely would have reduced or prevented the injuries sustained by the pilot.

In Canada, Aviation Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (SOR/2011-87) are issued pursuant to the Canada Labour Code. These regulations apply with respect to employees employed on board aircraft while in operation and with respect to persons granted access to those aircraft by the employer. Section 6.4 of the Aviation Occupational Health and Safety Regulations states that if there is a risk of head injury, protective headwear shall be used. Although not required by regulation to do so, helicopter operators may conduct a risk assessment to ascertain the level of risk of head injury associated with their operations, to determine if headwear is required.

There is no CARs requirement for helicopter pilots to wear protective headgear. As most pilots flying for KMH voluntarily wore helmets, the company’s assessment of risk did not result in a policy requiring mandatory use of helmets. Pilots provided their own helmets, and the accident pilot was considering purchasing a helmet at the time of the accident.

In recognition of the benefits of head protection, a resolution passed by the Helicopter Association of Canada (HAC) Board of Directors on 27 June 2011 stated that:

HAC strongly recommends to its Operator-Members that they should promote the use of helmets for helicopter flight crew members under all operational circumstances which permit their use. HAC also points out, however, that certain pilot/aircraft type configurations may preclude safe helmet use.

nomorehelosforme
19th Nov 2013, 19:43
Crack on in your jeans and t shirt, I've had it with corprerate responsibility, liability and procedures over the last 10 yrs in my industry, I agree with been responsible but some risk assessments you have to deal with are complete bulls**t imagine someone telling VF he had to stop wearing his jeans!

Ye Olde Pilot
20th Nov 2013, 01:11
I'm not so sure VF would look so good in his underpants:ok:

(But then again maybe a lot of females would disagree:D)

He's got all the pix for a great calendar for next year

Hughes500
20th Nov 2013, 17:03
YOP

Think you will find a helmet wont deflect a 7.62mm short round from an AK47 in Vietnam !! You really need to think about what you post as you are making yourself look like a complete p r a t

tacr2man
20th Nov 2013, 17:55
YOP
"I got my initial Aussie helicopter licence with Great Western Helicopters..Jandakot Perth 1989.

Are you now saying all muster pilots are wearing the full top gun kit?"

"Do you know how hot it gets in West Australia in summer?
Shade temps hit 40c every day. You'll be telling me next it's not safe to remove the doors?"

I was doing a UK to OZ heli licence at Jandakot about then , maybe it was the sight of me wearing my big yellow bonedome that put him off using one in a helicopter , cant remember if I was wearing the rest of the topgun kit :O

nomorehelosforme
20th Nov 2013, 18:36
Guys, where is your sense of humour, the impression I get from YOP's threads are easy, each to his own regarding dress code and helmets, all dependent on your flying applications, I'm a mere pax and have seen all dress codes, personally been safe is the important part in my life.

Also this is not a thread about dress code !

Vertical Freedom
20th Nov 2013, 20:12
There is no doubt helmets (may) save lives. :sad:

The second last Helicopter crash in Nepal involving Italian registered VIEW an AS350B3+ The Pilot survived ONLY because of wearing his helmet which was totally destroyed following a roll-over to the right after a very high ROD ground impact.:eek:

Yet there are many accidents where lives are lost without the helmet saving anyone. :ouch:

So the choice is the Pilot's &/or the company requirement. For slinging & the likes of working inside the HV area it is a wise move to wear one. :cool:

It is apparently another safety step which today is still an option :ugh: Which with all the minus's wearing a bone-dome does not guarantee safety, but may increase you survivability (maybe) :oh:

Ask Capt. DS (above) he is alive today because he wore a helmet :ooh: & then ask Capt. RA who wore a helmet & yet still died in a Heli crash :mad: ask me; unscathed after 2 x engine failures, 1 x tail-rotor drive failure, 1 x wire strike & still here kicking after 23years in the game (never worn a helmet) :)

It appears most survivable crashes do not require a helmet for the Pilot's survivability, it's only the occasianal odd crash where the helmet did it's duty in saving his/her life :*

Let the debate continue to rage..................................:\

Land Happy Always :ok:

nomorehelosforme
20th Nov 2013, 20:28
Good input, my original question was based on me been a pax on short transfers, I've have rarely seen pilots on my charters with helmets, even with two pilots flying a twin.

I have zero experience with mil or off shore ops so can make no comment on that but guess in this day and age better safe than sorry, in my experience in my industry have seen a few lives saved with basic hard hats in the construction industry.

Guess different countries will have some compliance issues regarding helmets?

Hughes500
21st Nov 2013, 06:09
nomore

Basically its like insurance bloody expensive until you need it !

African Eagle
21st Nov 2013, 09:42
I don't agree with VF's comments.

Just because you've come through a bunch of accidents without head injury isn't justification for an argument which says wearing a helmet is of questionable benefit.

I've just posted comments by the Helicopter Association of Canada where they are saying,

"HAC strongly recommends to its Operator-Members that they should promote the use of helmets for helicopter flight crew members under all operational circumstances which permit their use."

Also, its not just aerial work for which helmet wearing is sensible but also flying single-engine over hostile terrain (such a mountainous regions) where a forced landing is more likely to happen on sloping ground.

What VF is saying is that he's tossed the coin and for him its worked out, that's fine but is this the best approach to safety?

Is this the message I would give to my son when there is a stack of statistics showing that wearing a helmet can save lives?

"According to United States military research, the risk of fatal head injuries can be as high as 6 times greater for helicopter occupants not wearing head protection."

Each to their own. As for me I vote helmets.

Vertical Freedom
21st Nov 2013, 20:11
Good morning African Eagle

Thanks for your opinion......... I like it :O there is no doubt, that wearing a helmet may grant you a life extension given certain crash situations. I know of guys with double my experience/time with many emergency landings without so much as a scar :D one grand gentleman has had 12 engine failures, still healthy, still flying :D I guess your Karma has something to play here too :p

One question though just how far do we take this? Body armour? Fullface helmet would be far more safer than an open face (which you probably wear). Reinforced steel capped boots? Training schools don't use & that is seriously dangerous flying :{

I guess it's a question of degrees & just how far you wanna take it? Look at motorbike riders (I'm one) some opt to ride only with an open face helmet & running shoes - right through to heavily guarded knee high boots, full body armour, shoulder & elbow guard, full face mx helmet etc. etc. :ok: pick something that is legal & that YOU are comfortable with.....do your best, fly safe & leave the rest to......... :cool:

(sadly) I know of 4 great Pilot's that died in crashes all wearing a helmet, if they didn't wear one they'd still be dead, justify wearing one in these stats? & a Pilot that is in a wheel chair today wishing he hadn't worn one? :mad:

I for one simply never 'tossed a coin' to get into nor stay flying......flying like the drive to the Helipad has many risks, which we all need to calculate & manage. When your Son goes out to train he won't be issued a helmet by his FI then be climbing into a Robisnson :eek: :yuk:

Thanks again for your thoughts :)

May the debate continue :ooh:

Happy Landings

VF

Ye Olde Pilot
21st Nov 2013, 20:36
This old lady never wears the bone dome or the flying suit and seems to have survived a lot of helicopter flying.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4937465483102970&w=229&h=150&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
Just look at the captains outfit here for high value passengers non of whom are wearing the Top Gun kit
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rxKxjCUNpwM/TvZgeVfkT7I/AAAAAAAAG6o/bqBq2wZxdkk/s634/article-2078181-0F447A6000000578-700_634x354.jpg

nomorehelosforme
21st Nov 2013, 21:08
Wasn't that the machine that had an emergency landing with HRH Prince Charles and Camilla on board?

Ye Olde Pilot
21st Nov 2013, 21:26
Not sure but it would be no great loss (apart from the pilot) if they were gone:E

The current Royals are a breath of fresh air with Harry now about to do 200 miles walking with some wonderful people in the Antarctic.
Why we should salute Prince Harry for his polar charity walk - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/21/opinion/prince-harry-polar-work/index.html)
Here is another one for the hard hat/hi viz safety brigadehttp://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275752/Gallery/images/10784276/1801235.JPG

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 21:41
YOP;The current Royals are a breath of fresh air...

The 'current Royals' of course being William & Harry, both of whom wear helmets when flying helicopters … as does their Dad :ok:

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1513750.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Prince%20William-1513750 http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article123063.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/prince-charles-and-prince-harry-pic-getty-784177132-123063.jpg

Ye Olde Pilot
21st Nov 2013, 21:50
Part of the uniform Silsoe. It's like the doorman at Claridge's or the chauffeur.
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4512448488408851&w=203&h=150&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

You'd look a prat flying your 206 or R22 to a hotel for the weekend with as VF describes it the Kaptan Klown kit.

OK for the ex service wallahs but not done in civvy street.

There is probably more need for ground ambulance crews or firemen to wear that rig. I even notice the leather flying gloves worn by the driver in a lot of police camera action movies.

Ye Olde Pilot
21st Nov 2013, 21:51
I've got pics like that but I'd never wear that gear outside the forces.

A friend of mine walked away from this and no he was not wearing a flying suit and helmethttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41403000/jpg/_41403187_coptercrash3_203.jpg

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 22:11
A particularly graphic reason in support of wearing a helmet in a helicopter.

WARNING … The content of the link is EXTREMELY graphic!
Not suitable for 'family viewing'.

To ensure that you really wish to see the article and so that you cannot 'accidentally' click on the active link, you will need to replace XXX in the link with f10

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/XXX/helicopter-crash-major-head-injury-43341/

On Saturday February 24, 2007 approximately at 10:38 HLV (14:38 UTC) a Venezuelan helicopter YV1521 enrollment, BRAND: Bell Ranger III B-206, SERIAL: 2696 YEAR: 1979 belonging to the company Aerotécnica SA, three (03) people on board crashed off the Control Tower Air Base Francisco de Miranda (SVFM), La Carlota, Caracas, Venezuela when he took off to cover the route La Carlota (SVFM) to Barcelona (SVBC) with an estimated 01 hour 15 minutes.

The accident killed the pilot JAZAN bazam Hatem and 2 passengers were wounded.

Ye Olde Pilot
21st Nov 2013, 22:25
Sid we can all find stuff like that.
Here a daughter in law could have survived if she had been wearing a stab vest
BBC News - Tina Casey 'murdered over grandson access fear' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25039670)
However this taxi driver survived without the full kit
BBC News - Norfolk taxi crashes through Flour and Bean café window (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25019807)

Nigel Farage escaped thishttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4692420501441755&w=203&h=141&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
No bonedome:ok:

Have you seen how many cyclists have died in London in the last week?

My friend in the burnt out helicopter survived a student doing a dynamic rollover
a few months ago.(He still wears the VF uniform)

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 22:32
YOP;

I've got pics like that but I'd never wear that gear outside the forces.

A friend of mine walked away from this and no he was not wearing a flying suit and helmethttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...crash3_203.jpg

Did you wear it in the forces then YOP?

The picture that you have linked to is of this incident;

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Southern Counties | Men survive burning 'copter crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4767265.stm)
Air Accidents Investigation: Rotorway Executive, G-BRGX (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/november_bulletin/rotorway_executive__g_brgx.cfm)

"The aircraft bounced once gently and skidded forward before coming to rest with the right (passenger side) skid collapsed and the tailboom separated but the helicopter remained upright.
The passenger evacuated through a hole in the front canopy without injury, whilst the pilot exited through the left door with a slight burn to his left arm."

Sooo, they exited the upright ac, which was left to burn!
Not as dramatic as you portray :rolleyes:

Ye Olde Pilot
21st Nov 2013, 22:41
It caught fire in the air which is a point you missed.

Make sure you do a risk assessment when you watch tv Silsoe and take care:ok:

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 22:47
YOP, you really do come out with some twaddle, I thought you were a good student but the years since GE have made you lazy.

Have you seen how many cyclists have died in London in the last week?

I that's the best you can up with, I'm off to watch 'I'm a celebrity, Dancing on Ice'.

… but before I go;

Helmet saved my life, says cyclist trapped under car in Spitalfields (http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/helmet_saved_my_life_says_cyclist_trapped_under_car_in_spita lfields_1_2991896)

A cyclist who was trapped under a car has revealed that a helmet she bought on a whim saved her life.

Claire Pepper, 27, was cycling home to South London last night when she was involved in a collision with a car in Commercial Street at the junction with Hanbury Street in Spitalfields.

It left her trapped under the car which was lifted by a group of 10 bystanders who helped free Claire.

Claire, a fashion photographer, said she owes her life to the new helmet she bought recently on a whim. She said: “Its the first time I have worn it. I just bought it on a whim and I was thinking I should have asked for it for Christmas but I’m glad I did buy it.”

Claire said she was “super grateful” to the people who lifted the car off her.

Her boyfriend Jonathan Gales, 27, who was at her bedside, urged other cyclists to wear their helmets. He said: “It definitely saved her life. It was a brand new helmet and it was absolutely smashed, her head was stuck under the car.”

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 22:49

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 22:57

SilsoeSid
21st Nov 2013, 23:15
Did you wear it flying over the rice fields in 'Nam YOP?

YOPI doubt most of the big mouth's here have ever been to Vietnam
Post 870, this thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/110753-helmets-should-you-post8147274.html)

YOP's rice field pic (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Oldpilot/media/MaeSariangFlying036.jpg.html) as seen posted here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/262853-mountain-flying-thailand.html#post3107121)

Brian Abraham
22nd Nov 2013, 05:51
The helmets were worn in 'nam to deflect bulletsI think what you know YOP can be written on the point of a pin.

212man
22nd Nov 2013, 17:28
I think what you know YOP can be written on the point of a pin.

With room to spare.....

I see his Photobucket account has had a spring clean after SS's links

nomorehelosforme
22nd Nov 2013, 18:03
Reading between the lines regarding my thread, I accept its personal preference but still surprised having had many charters have never had a pilot/pilots with a helmet? I can only assume that guys flying short chatters between half an hour upto an hour and a half are comfortable without?

Brian Abraham
24th Nov 2013, 03:50
nomorehelosforme, for the most part, it is as you say, down to personal preference, though some enlightened companies, even offshore operators, are making them mandatory for crews.

I liken it to seat belts, life jackets, immersion suits, life rafts, fire extinguishers, crash worthy seats etc. Never had to put any of them to the test, but they are sure nice to have to hand should your number come up.

A Bell 412 crew in Alaska were making a ferry flight at 10,000 feet when they encountered a severe vibration. So bad was it that their heads were smashed through the overhead windows and pounded against the door pillar, the overhead electrical panel fell open, instruments were unreadable, and to top it off both engines failed during the descent because they had been shaken out of their mounts. Had they not been wearing helmets I imagine their skulls would look similar to the gruesome photos posted earlier, certainly they would not have survived. And the cause? A pitch change link on one blade had let go.

And one who didn't survive. S-76 impacted the ground on its left side, trapping the co-pilot in his seat. The captain extricated himself immediately, and spent the next 45 minutes helping the crash crews get the co-pilot out, whereupon the captain collapsed and died. He had suffered a head injury that was not obvious to medical personel due to coming into contact with the broom closet at the time of impact.

Brilliant Stuff
24th Nov 2013, 17:55
I see in Shell Brunei's AW 139 delivery video that the pilots are wearing helmets....

Vmax8
25th Nov 2013, 01:13
Using my helmet in a R22 or R44 is kind of a problem, as the low RRPM warning horn gets so muffled by the sound isolation of the helmet, that it's hardly noticeable. Therefore I prefer not to use a helmet on these aircrafts as I worry I won't hear the horn in a low RRPM situation. Is there any solution to it?

chcoffshore
25th Nov 2013, 04:22
I see in Shell Brunei's AW 139 delivery video that the pilots are wearing helmets....

Yes we are :ok:

SilsoeSid
25th Nov 2013, 10:02
Vmax8Using my helmet in a R22 or R44 is kind of a problem, as the low RRPM warning horn gets so muffled by the sound isolation of the helmet, that it's hardly noticeable. Therefore I prefer not to use a helmet on these aircrafts as I worry I won't hear the horn in a low RRPM situation. Is there any solution to it?

I don't think a helmet gives much more 'muffling' than a decent headset, does it? :confused:
Anyway, it would seem after a bit of a google, that it isn't too much of a problem out there heli-college.com (http://www.heli-college.com/general/brsafe.htm) however, perhaps there are some other issues that may need attention first !!!

"... one day I had a solo flight to OKC for maintanance, and had my music cranked up a little louder than when I have pax with me (not excessivly loud) and was surprised that I could barely hear the horn on my check. "

Helmet Comms - Vertical Reference Helicopter Forums (http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/7506-helmet-comms/)

On a more serious and useful note, I wonder what the follow up on this was;

The FAA Technical Panel Final Report (17 March 1995) proposed the following:
Design Changes
An improved engine RPM governor
An increased low rotor RPM warning threshold.
Provide low rotor RPM warning horn through the intercom system.
http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/2002-004%20EI-MAC.pdf

FYR
25th Nov 2013, 12:43
Using my helmet in a R22 or R44 is kind of a problem, as the low RRPM warning horn gets so muffled by the sound isolation of the helmet, that it's hardly noticeable. Therefore I prefer not to use a helmet on these aircrafts as I worry I won't hear the horn in a low RRPM situation. Is there any solution to it?

I never had that problem, flown with gentex and MSA Gallet helmets

African Eagle
25th Nov 2013, 14:17
Lots of people flying and training in the R22 with helmets -

http://www.rotorvation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/student1-300x273.jpg

Helicopter License & Training Perth - Rotorvation Helicopter Services (http://www.rotorvation.com.au/commercial-helicopter-licence-training/)

http://malaysiaflyingherald.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/555136_498105740247739_1227213299_n.jpg?w=640&h=480

A lot of pilots in GOM fly with helmets including some of PHI's S92 crews.

Gordy
25th Nov 2013, 15:48
Students at a certain large flight school in the US are required to bear bicycle helmets during certain portions of the pre-flight..... :confused:

Savoia
25th Nov 2013, 17:55

4Q3youZXoO8

Freewheel
25th Nov 2013, 19:22
I thought the Heli-Cycle only had one seat?:}

John Eacott
25th Nov 2013, 19:42
Lots of people flying and training in the R22 with helmets -

But none of a normal size, eg 5'11" since there isn't enough headroom.

You don't get in an R22, you put it on......

Phil Space
25th Nov 2013, 21:31
African Eagle...

The Rotorvation site is a bit of a joke.

If you've been to Perth you'll know that for most of the year it's too hot to fly with doors on and the moped hats and boiler suits are only worn by image seekers.

Here is another image from their website with as Vertical Freedom would say 'no Kaptain Klown' suits.http://www.rotorvation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/corp_image10.jpg
And another http://www.rotorvation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/corp_image13.jpg

tucumseh
26th Nov 2013, 17:25
Vmax8
Quote:

I don't think a helmet gives much more 'muffling' than a decent headset, does it? file:///C:\Users\taper\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image 001.gif

If a warning horn is not properly audible when putting your helmet to its correct use, then the problem lies with the audio warning design, not the helmet. The helmet is designed to provide passive attenuation to a given specification, and active attenuation if ANR is fitted. The helmet is part of, for example, the intercom system, which is part of the aircraft, and all must be properly integrated. Few are, as you’ve discovered.

By design, a typical aircrew helmet, say the Mk4, will provide better passive attenuation than a headset. Attenuation is frequency dependent. The crucial area is low frequency (defined as 40 – 1kHz), where attenuation tends to vary a lot often due to ill-fitting helmets. Performance tends to be much better in the high frequency (above 1kHz) but this is not where the problem is (i.e. damaging noise, as opposed to annoying noise - a different but related subject). Hence, most ANR systems are designed to work in that lower region.

Ye Olde Pilot
26th Nov 2013, 17:55
African Eagle posted that nice link to a training company in Perth. The reality is you can not fly like this for most of the year or you'd cook.
http://www.rotorvation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/student1-300x273.jpg
Doors on,helmet on but short shirt! The picture is posed.
Hence the reality of flying with the same training organisation here
http://www.rotorvation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/corp_image13.jpg
and here we see no Kaptain Klown kit or doors. http://www.rotorvation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/P1070937-e1381757209413.jpg
That's how it is in Perth:ok:

cdaniel
11th Feb 2014, 19:51
If anyone is going to buy this helmet make sure they look at the Facebook on safecomm who sells this helmet. Reading that scares me and I would run from this and find a better company to buy from .:eek:

mothflyer
17th Mar 2014, 10:06
I am changing my Alpha to a Gallet at the moment. Having the Gallet fitted with the latest Senheiser set-up. Really for the sake of size, weight and an upgrade on the type of NR. So my Alpha-200 is up for grabs at the moment if anyone is interested. :ok:

C_Star
22nd Apr 2014, 19:06
So, I finally decided to get myself a bonedome. I have almost decided on a Gallet LH250, when I came accross a thing called "Evolution 252". It's a brand new helmet, released in April 14. Looks pretty neat, is lighter and cheaper than the Gallet.

Has anyone bought the EVO, or at least seen it up close? I have to make up my mind quickly...

Thanks!

C*

Jelico
22nd Apr 2014, 20:50
Im in the same boat - the 252 looks nice, but unproven...

Anyone played with one? I spoke to the guys at helicopter helmets.com and they say that it is sort of a cross between the Gallet and Alpha (with the best features of both. Looks nice and good value, but I can't see an ANR option for it so will probably go for the SPH 4B. I have heard that the SHP4/5's are the coolest wearing option (temperature I mean)..

John Eacott
22nd Apr 2014, 23:13
Looks nice and good value, but I can't see an ANR option for it so will probably go for the SPH 4B.

Jelico,

I'm guessing that as a Kiwi you will be looking at a helmet for use doing doors off work? If so, you may well find that ANR is worse than useless with the raised ambient noise doors off; the ANR often overloads and creates too much noise rather than reducing it.

CEP is much, much better for most helmets.

KNIEVEL77
24th Sep 2014, 09:14
Hi Guys,
I am about to undertake some filming from a Jet Ranger and it has been suggested to me by the Production's Insurance Company that I wear a helmet.
I was just wondering where the most cost effective place is to buy a standard Alpha Helmet?
The obvious outlet is HSL but is there anywhere else with a more competitive price?
Would you stay clear of a cheaper, used helmet from eBay?
Your advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

ersa
24th Sep 2014, 09:21
the first choice would be new from a dealer, but ebay have some good bargains.

I basically were a helmet for any low level work <500ft

O27PMR
24th Sep 2014, 11:13
I bought mine from HSL.

Personally I'd avoid cheap second hand helmets, but if money is an issue I guess something is better than nothing.

It's hard to put a price on the value of your own head!

MikeNYC
3rd Apr 2015, 14:11
Does anyone have experience with oxygen masks fitted to helmets in civvy applications? I'm involved in a project where we are doing aerial photography and filming from a range of altitudes from sea level to 14k, mostly at night. While 14k's not up in the flight levels, we still need o2. Additionally, as for a lot of the missions we are operating door-off and photographer in harness, we've been looking into helmets for photographer and technician, for crash protection (they are on short tethers instead of secured with seatbelt) as well as birdstrike protection, and for better comms when one's head is out in the airstream.

I've seen the Gentex MBU-12/P masks (Pressure Demand) as well as the ALPS-M (Constant Flow). The Gentex is of course designed to work with helmets, but the pressure demand system is massive overkill for what we need. The ALPS-M system doesn't seem to work well with helmets, or at least would have to be donned separately.

What are helmet-wearers doing for oxygen (besides cannulas) in helicopters? Cannulas aren't an option as they wouldn't fare well in the door-off and moving-around environment.

EDIT: Found some information about ALPS-M conversion for helmet usage ( http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.php/component/attachments/download/645 ). Any feedback on these or other systems?

500e
3rd Apr 2015, 21:37
Vertical Freedom may be able to help \make suggestion

TwinHueyMan
4th Apr 2015, 21:13
I know you said you are anti-cannula, but I've used the Aqua Lung PHODS for work similar to what you say you'll be in, up to 15,000ft, with no issues. The altitude based auto-start/stop and automatic O2 regulation is awesome. It's minimalistic compared to a mask, never interfered with shooting with a DSLR, and is a tiny overall package (and not hard mounted at all).

Mike

MikeNYC
7th Apr 2015, 18:06
Mike-
Thanks for the info on PHODS, looks promising. How's the cannula hold up when one sticks their head outside into the slipstream? That's my main concern.

9Aplus
7th Apr 2015, 22:00
You have full face mask option too
here, end of doc -> http://www.aqualung.com/militaryandprofessional/product_information/102999_PHODS_UserManual.pdf

MikeNYC
8th Apr 2015, 13:00
9Aplus, thanks, exactly what I needed.

TwinHueyMan
8th Apr 2015, 22:21
It stays in place just as good as a mic boom. Doesn't seem to get diffused much by the slipstream either.

Mike

Above The Clouds
21st Nov 2015, 21:30
Does anyone have a good source for purchasing cotton helmet liners/skull caps without having to purchase from the USA and paying ridiculous delivery charges.

Paul Cantrell
1st Dec 2015, 08:23
Quote:

"... one day I had a solo flight to OKC for maintanance, and had my music cranked up a little louder than when I have pax with me (not excessivly loud) and was surprised that I could barely hear the horn on my check. "

The FAA Technical Panel Final Report (17 March 1995) proposed the following:
Design Changes
Provide low rotor RPM warning horn through the intercom system.

Interesting. I've had problems with my Lightspeed Zulu-2 headset masking the low RPM horn in some Robinson aircraft. I called Robinson technical support and asked that they start piping it into the intercom and they politely refused.

Then, in September I brought it up during the R66 course and Tim Tucker said "we tested the David Clark and the Bose and it wasn't a problem and it would add weight so we won't do it". I said it was a problem with my Lightspeed but they basically seem to feel that since nobody has died yet from not hearing the low RPM horn they don't need to address it (and of course if there is a fatal you probably won't know that the pilot couldn't hear the horn, just that for some reason he never lowered the collective).

So granted it's probably shouldn't be the top priority, but it's one that could be solved at modest cost and probably with no weight increase at all. Perhaps someone will do an aftermarket device...

Stitchbitch
6th Jan 2016, 12:03
Does anyone here have a recommend flying helmet? I have used Alpha helmets with ANR before for fixed wing flying but would be interested to hear if anyone has a favourite Rotary winged lid. Also, any recommended (or steer clear) of pilot flight equipment inspection centers in the UK? Thanks in advance! Edit - found a company in the UK called Key Survival who fit the bill, thanks for the PMs.

Thorond0r
10th Jan 2016, 22:48
This is the one my company provides. Give if a few tries and you will not want to go back to headsets. As someone has said, I feel weird and unprotected without it.

LH 350 Helicopter Helmet in Head Protection | MSA - The Safety Company | Spain (http://es.msasafety.com/Head-Protection/Aviation/Helmets/LH-350-Helicopter-Helmet/p/000370007000001040)

3top
11th Jan 2016, 19:59
...To ANR:

My experience with a GENTEX SPH-5 and ANR in a AS350B3 is: "USELESS as soon as you open the window - forget it with the door off!"

It seems the noise pattern from the B3 rotor changes to fast for the ANR to pick up and cancel out.....

I suggest you safe the ANR and go for CEP....

Cheers,

3top:cool:

marcbisbal
23rd Jan 2019, 07:32
Hi everyone,

I have an old MSA Gallet helmet which needs to be renewed, here in Spain pretty much everyone goes with this one.
After doing a search on what's on the market at the moment, I'm not sure which one to go for.
If you had to buy a new one, which one would you recommend? Evolution, Gentex, MSA ..?
Really appreciate your experience with this, they are really expensive so better not rush on the decision,

Thanks!

Flying Bull
23rd Jan 2019, 07:49
MSA before Gentex, havent had an Evolution yet
Had two Gentex before my Gallet. Even with modded earcups nothing near for comfort compared to the Gallet MSA

Yara-ma-yha-who
23rd Jan 2019, 08:04
In my experience the Gallet is comfortable without NVG but horrible with. Alpha Eagle is probably my pick. I've never tried the evolution.

Evil Twin
23rd Jan 2019, 08:38
Used Gentex, Gallet and Alpha Eagle. Alpha Eagle is miles more comfortable (and adjustable) than the other two.

Also go CEP with moulded tips far superior than ANR in my experience.

SAR driver
23rd Jan 2019, 08:52
Alpha Eagle

Robbiee
23rd Jan 2019, 17:17
This thread is old enough to go to college :sad:

EMS R22
23rd Jan 2019, 19:49
Does anyone here have a recommend flying helmet? I have used Alpha helmets with ANR before for fixed wing flying but would be interested to hear if anyone has a favourite Rotary winged lid. Also, any recommended (or steer clear) of pilot flight equipment inspection centers in the UK? Thanks in advance! Edit - found a company in the UK called Key Survival who fit the bill, thanks for the PMs.

Northwall!! Had them all, these are buy far the best!

casper64
23rd Jan 2019, 22:00
...To ANR:

My experience with a GENTEX SPH-5 and ANR in a AS350B3 is: "USELESS as soon as you open the window - forget it with the door off!"

It seems the noise pattern from the B3 rotor changes to fast for the ANR to pick up and cancel out.....

I suggest you safe the ANR and go for CEP....

Cheers,

3top:cool:

Hi, What ANR system did you use? I have very good experiences with Lightspeed Zulu mod...

Cheers.

Masak
24th Jan 2019, 18:50
I use a Gentex HGU-56 for last 1000 hours or so, of which 600+ hrs is in MD500 (noisy:-)) and rest in S300 and R44. I had to fit the helmet with zetaliner to make it comfortable for long days (6-8 flight hours). I also use earpads from my Senheiser S1 headset and Alpine MotoSafe eaplugs. I am VERY satisfied with this setup. Does not matter if it is 35deg plus or 15deg minus, it is super comfortable (for me anyway). Had a chance to very briefly try some other helmets but none of them felt so nice.

LRP
24th Jan 2019, 20:33
If you plan on any DOI/USFS flying you might want to check out the new Interagency ALSE Handbook. If it ain't a Gentex, it ain't ok, after 2020.

TimTooWindy
3rd Mar 2019, 21:40
For many years I have used the Gallet 050 as it's lightweight and small shell size(External Load Ops) is preferred rather than some of the larger helmets that are available.

I have been researching the Lift Aviation AV-1 KOR Shroud as a possible replacement. Anyone on this forum have any first hand experience with this helmet? .

​https://liftaviationusa.com/collections/helmets​​​​​​

The "Shroud" version I presume allows you to retract the visor when not in use(I've not had this confirmed yet as information is limited). Otherwise your visor would quickly became scratched with day to day utility ops.

Any information or opinions appreciated.

Regards.

TTW

3top
4th Mar 2019, 15:31
Hi, What ANR system did you use? I have very good experiences with Lightspeed Zulu mod...

Cheers.
I used a "Headsets"-kit from headsets.inc

If you fly open door and the Zulu works - probably the software is a "little more advanced" by now! I installed the kit some 15 years ago...

3top

Stitchbitch
5th Mar 2019, 01:55
ANR will still lead to damage hearing, CEP users are better off. Wire free CEP is now a thing from Gentex (who own Alpha Eagle, having bought out the UK company) and looks very promising. A properly sized and fitted Eagle or 900 (if NVGing) with wire free CEP would be an excellent choice, also it’s Interesting to note that French Army pilots now use Alpha helmets rather than Gallet.

Hot and Hi
26th Jun 2020, 17:07
Interesting. I've had problems with my Lightspeed Zulu-2 headset masking the low RPM horn in some Robinson aircraft. I called Robinson technical support and asked that they start piping it into the intercom and they politely refused.

Then, in September I brought it up during the R66 course and Tim Tucker said "we tested the David Clark and the Bose and it wasn't a problem and it would add weight so we won't do it". I said it was a problem with my Lightspeed but they basically seem to feel that since nobody has died yet from not hearing the low RPM horn they don't need to address it (and of course if there is a fatal you probably won't know that the pilot couldn't hear the horn, just that for some reason he never lowered the collective).
Well, Robinson is offering it now. On all new machines give low RRPM warning through headset only. No more buzzer. Working headset is now a pre-start checklist item.

EC145UK
8th Aug 2021, 14:53
There are a gazillion options for buying helmets online but for something like this I'd like to try before I buy.

Could anyone please recommend a physical shop that would have a good selection of different models? MSA, Alpha, Gentex etc.

I'm based in the SouthEast near Redhill or West London.

Thanks.

Phoinix
9th Aug 2021, 19:33
Heya, I'm now on Alpha 900 + new ANR but looking at Northwall helmet. Any comparison out there? Thanks!

EC145UK
10th Aug 2021, 06:06
Sorry I'm too much of a newbie to help.

However, yesterday I had a great conversation with Alex Singh from SES (Safety Equipment Services)

He was super helpful and generous with his time evaluating my likely needs and talking about the MSA Gallet helmet and its various options.

Good luck.

Flyting
10th Aug 2021, 11:10
Heya, I'm now on Alpha 900 + new ANR but looking at Northwall helmet. Any comparison out there? Thanks!
I was also interrested earlier but Stay away... The company I work for bought a few and they are all falling apart. And as for support - forget it

Stitchbitch
11th Aug 2021, 19:41
I get to try quite a few flying helmets for work, most of the non 'household names' and some that are, are absolute garbage. Comfotable garbage but still... I can't recommend many but I would say that despite awful lead times and sometimes suspect build quality Alpha Eagles/900's are pretty good. Absolutely avoid anything with gimicky chinstraps and air vents, or if the padding looks like it could have been taken from a motorcycle helmet..you'll end up with something with less crash protection than a 1970s skateboard helmet. Also, don't go chucking dodgy fixed wing ANR headset mods into safety certified helmets, unless these helmets have been impact tested to relevant standards with the modification installed, asking for trouble..

Hot and Hi
12th Aug 2021, 17:03
I can't find fault with anything you say, Stitchbitch. But are we not throwing out the child with the bathwater?

In my world (yes, I often hear that there are parallel universes, with no link between them :) ). So in my world, a helmet - any helmet - competes with wearing no helmet at all. Even pilots who own a helmet, and wear that helmet for certain jobs where it is either a requirement or at least common to wear a helmet (e.g., EMS work at night), tend to not wear the helmet on other jobs (e.g., flight instruction).

I am not sure what kind of mega crash you intend surviving using a helmet that is to your liking. But can one not argue that in many cases the job of a helmet is already to protect the pilot's head in a non-violent crash (e.g., dynamic roll-over) from colliding with the cockpit structure? Thereby preventing skull damage, cuts, face and eye injuries. Besides this being a benefit in itself, keeping the pilot conscious gives them a better chance to extract themselves and their pax from a burning or sinking wreck.

Also when it comes to bird strikes, would you not agree that vizor down at all times dramatically increases the chances to maintain control of the a/c, despite the Perspex pieces, blood, guts and bird bones hitting your face? Could one not look at a helmet mostly as a mounting structure for a visor, regardless really what make of helmet.

In that vein I however fully support your warning against gimmicky chinstraps (or chinstraps worn loosely, a la Pilot Yellow). No use, even in my much more limited use cases, of a helmet that flies off your skull at the moment of impact.

Let's agree that following the 80:20 rule even a simple bump helmet with visor offers beneficial protection in 80% of the accidents. (100% being totality of accidents where an ideal helmet would save your bacon.) Certainly no reason to suggest that wearing no helmet would be better than wearing any of the helmet types that you suggest to "absolutely avoid". It is all relative...

Brilliant Stuff
15th Aug 2021, 13:53
As Hot and Hi says, wearing a helmet is a no brainer. The main benefits I see is that it saves your hearing and your eyesight. It saves your hearing on a daily bases and your eyesight for that birdstrike. If you are then unlucky and have an accident then of course it will help as well.

You can enhance your helmet with ANR which is expensive and it does work, there is another alternative though and they are CEPs, you can then save the money for the ANR and have equal if not better hearing protection using the CEPs.

I have only ever worn the Alpha Eagle 900, two across two different jobs, and they haven't given me any real trouble except the odd wear and tear. From what I can gather the Gallet don't fit every head unlike the Alpha's. The Gallet I am told need replacing every 15 years whereas the Alphas last only 12 years. I am told the Gallet are snug around your complete head, whereas the Alpha's have possible more air circling you head.

That's all I can add.

Companies to talk to are ses-safety.com or Key-se.co.uk or Helmet Integrated in Stanraer or headsetservices.com those are the only ones I know of.

evilroy
20th Jan 2022, 04:44
Thread hijack but ccan anyone recommend any sites that sell replacement parts for the Gentex SPH-3 series? I need visors and some other bits to restore a helmet for static display.

3top
7th Nov 2022, 17:44
I did a bit of refurbishing on my old SPH-5.
MOST parts fit the older models - Gibson & Barnes, easy to talk to a tech that can guide you through the various options...

3top
7th Nov 2022, 18:12
Hi all,

Our company is about to buy as us all new noggin cups....

Over the years this thread exists, I read about everything - the last comments about helmet brands are 1-3 years back.

Did anyone learn something new about new models, brands? Suggestions?

We are using the helmets for doors closed passenger flights and doors removed external load ops.
As it is I don't see us going into NVG ops anytime soon...

What I have so far:

- Gentex (HGU-56 or SPH-5, I understand the 56 makes the 5 pretty much obsolete...)
- Gentex ALPHA Eagle
- MSA (Gallet)
- EVO (Evolution Helmets)
- Northwall (LMT)

From comments above it seems the Northwall has a quality and customer service problem, so - Northwall out.
From comments above it seems the MSA Gallet lasts longer than the ALPHA.
From comments above it seems the Gentex HGU-56 is a great helmet, but not out of the box - it needs a bit of modifying - aftermarket is available
No comments on the Evo...

Personally I saw the Alphas in action with my colleagues while I was happy with my SPH-5. I did see the Alphas deteriorate rather quickly (hot and humid environment), but couldn't try one out, as I seem to have the bigger (harder??) head..... :E

So - from my experience with the SPH-5 and one or the other comment I do tend towards a HGU-56 (possibly with mods mentioned above), at least one colleague wants to replace the Alpha with another Alpha...
Personally I want 2 lenses - dark (sun), yellow/high contrast (fog, low vis)

IF anyone has time with a EVO or various of the mentioned helmets, please post your experience!
IF anyone flies a brand not listed above, please post your experience!!

Cheers all,

3top

breakdip
7th Nov 2022, 19:15
Hi all,

Personally I saw the Alphas in action with my colleagues while I was happy with my SPH-5. I did see the Alphas deteriorate rather quickly (hot and humid environment), but couldn't try one out, as I seem to have the bigger (harder??) head..... :E

So - from my experience with the SPH-5 and one or the other comment I do tend towards a HGU-56 (possibly with mods mentioned above), at least one colleague wants to replace the Alpha with another Alpha...
Personally I want 2 lenses - dark (sun), yellow/high contrast (fog, low vis)

Cheers all,

3top

Happy Alpha wearer here. Started with CEP, but unfortunately the interaction of the cables of the CEP with the ear cups caused pressure points. I was super happy with the way you can adjust the volume with CEP though - especially in a tactical environment. Nevertheless, a majority of my colleagues did not experience any pressure points and were rather happy with CEP. Due to the pressure points I ended up wearing the Alpha passively with yellow ear plugs and adjusting the volume accordingly. Not optimum, but at least it protected my hearing.
Now I fly the Alpha with ANR, really comfortable, but I would recommend CEP as long as it does not create irritating pressure points.
With regard to visors you can select dark, clear or yellow as well with Alpha. Had them all and I prefer to have a dark and yellow visor combination. I noticed that when flying with a dark and clear visor combination I often flew without visor protection when the dark visor was inappropriate for the weather conditions. With the dark and yellow combination I always have one or the other.
Tip: choose one helmet type for both cockpit and cabin. We have experienced that operating different types of helmets can cause degraded ICS performance.
Ps. What I also like with the Alpha is the opportunity to release or tighten the ear cups and the rotating knob on the back to tighten the helmet at the nape of my head. Especially helpful - a must - with NVGs.

60FltMech
8th Nov 2022, 14:01
3top

I’ve used the HGU-56/p for 15 years/2000+ hours, overall seems like a good setup, ours came with the CEP modification and I’ve used both the Zetaliner II and Thermoplastic Liner(TPL). The Zeta is great until you sweat in it a lot, pretty much can’t clean it without problems, and when it’s cold out(not super cold, 30-40 degrees F) its pretty stiff until your head heats it up, so you have to deal with pressure points until then.

The TPL has a separate cover so you can have multiple covers to wash and swap out in the summertime, which i do daily sometimes if I’m sweating a lot.

As far as durability I’ve had two shells get voided big enough to require replacement in all that time but those helmets/shells were of unknown age as they were issued to me by the government.

Due to a contract change in 2018 the company I work for has provide flight clothing and helmets so my current helmet is about 5 years old, it has some light scratches and small chips in the paint but it came back from ALSE inspection with no real issues, and I work as a crewman/mechanic so I’m in and out of the aircraft popping my head on stuff quite a bit(more than I’d like to!) so I think a pilot may be slightly more gentle on one for what that’s worth.

They did end up changing the energy absorbing layer(EAL, the styrofoam bit inside helmet shell) and harness but they really didn’t need to, everything was working fine. I wish they had left it alone to be honest!

Which gets me to some of the bad points of the helmet: proper fitting is a big deal, I’m sure other helmets are the same way. When it fits right it’s great, when it’s not it makes for a long day. And like others have mentioned, the CEP wires running across my ears is super annoying, but I think that can be mitigated by getting moulded/cast earplugs for the CEP.

I’m actually considering getting this done as the guys I’ve worked with that have them seem to like them.

The CEP components themselves are also unnecessarily expensive in my opinion, just look at the prices they are charging for the replaceable foam tips and you’ll see what I mean. But for all those thing I still won’t use my helmet without them and carry spare CEPs and foam tips in my helmet bag, the clarity of the ICS is so much improved over the standard ear cup speakers.

FltMech

3top
21st Nov 2022, 23:10
Okay!

Thank you all for your inputs!

By far the most recommended helmet is the MSA - Gallet - LH250!!

So - I wonder if anyone compared the LH-250 and the LH-350 in real life!?

Why one is better than the other - I know the 350 is about $400 more expensive, overall - that would not bother me....

So - LH250 or LH350 - WHY?

Then - if you do/did open-door vertical reference work (especially on the AS350) - any experience with a CEP kit in the LH-250 or LH350??

Finally - any experience with the Headset/Helmet Bluetooth -kits on the market? Main need would be to have the phone connected to the headset/helmet for communication....

Cheers,

3top

Evil Twin
22nd Nov 2022, 09:45
Okay!

Thank you all for your inputs!

By far the most recommended helmet is the MSA - Gallet - LH250!!

So - I wonder if anyone compared the LH-250 and the LH-350 in real life!?

Why one is better than the other - I know the 350 is about $400 more expensive, overall - that would not bother me....

So - LH250 or LH350 - WHY?

Then - if you do/did open-door vertical reference work (especially on the AS350) - any experience with a CEP kit in the LH-250 or LH350??

Finally - any experience with the Headset/Helmet Bluetooth -kits on the market? Main need would be to have the phone connected to the headset/helmet for communication....

Cheers,

3top

Try before you buy, not all helmets fit all heads.

CEP a definite YES. Used in everything from a gentex, through Gallet to Alpha. I don't fit a gallet but my alpha work issued and my personal one fit like a glove and comfy for 8hr+ days.

3top
24th Nov 2022, 00:00
Anyone with experience with ANR and open door - as in long line and vertical reference work?

3top

lelebebbel
24th Nov 2022, 19:13
Anyone with experience with ANR and open door - as in long line and vertical reference work?

3top

No problems with my Bose A20 inside a LH050. In my experience it depends how well the ear cups sit and seal in your head - in certain conditions with a poor seal you'll have low frequency feedback (drumming), but if they sit correctly it works door on or off. Easy to adjust with velcro pads.

I've had the Bose in there for about 4 years now and you couldn't pay me to go back to a passive setup.
​​​​

Cencio
1st May 2023, 11:58
Hello folks

Just seeking advice about the LD-Switzerland H-CMR helmet.

Do you guys think it's better than the Gentex HGU-56/P?

Any feedback would be really appreciated...

3top
2nd May 2023, 18:16
NO idea about the Switzerland Helmet....
However I was looking into the Gentex HGU-56 recently (re-issue of helmets in the company)
After some serious research - about 95% of all replies and recommendations come back for the Gallet LM-250 (NOT the 350, but the 250)...
I have no idea who would be the distributor in/for Switzerland.
I do know that Merit Apparel in Augustine, Florida is the only distributor on the planet that has helmets in stock (except the factory) and can assemble yours nealry immediatly.
(They also hav a fantastic reputation for fit and service, most of their customers never see the shop..... It seems they have the "remote fitting" process really dialed in!)

I spent an hour on the phone and they walked me through the whole process.....

HOWEVER - we did not order the helmets yet, so I cannot testify to the actual quality or use experience.

At present I am still using my 28 year old SPH-5 (various refurbishments).

The HGU-56 can be made to fit good, but why bother if the LM-250 can be ordered to fit perfectly....

Cheers,

3top

Jabberwocky82
2nd May 2023, 21:55
No problems with my Bose A20 inside a LH050. In my experience it depends how well the ear cups sit and seal in your head - in certain conditions with a poor seal you'll have low frequency feedback (drumming), but if they sit correctly it works door on or off. Easy to adjust with velcro pads.

I've had the Bose in there for about 4 years now and you couldn't pay me to go back to a passive setup.
​​​​

I found you could get a squeal through the comms when your head was outside/doors off and you descended too quickly.

Have you had any negative feedback from the long term use of ANR? I have been told by many people in Defence that they prefer CEP over ANR, however I cannot find anything of substance to support this outside of ANR advertising material.

lelebebbel
2nd May 2023, 23:51
I found you could get a squeal through the comms when your head was outside/doors off and you descended too quickly.

Have you had any negative feedback from the long term use of ANR? I have been told by many people in Defence that they prefer CEP over ANR, however I cannot find anything of substance to support this outside of ANR advertising material.
Never had any squealing at all, however most of my external load flying is doors on these days, with a bubble window. I do heli ski with this setup in the winter and never had any unusual noises or other malfunction even at very high ROD (also doors on obviously).

My hearing is tested annually for workers comp purposes, and is doing fine. There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding how ANR works, I've had people tell me my ears are actually experiencing twice the sound pressure than without any protection and I'll go deaf any minute now. This is of course complete bollocks. The only valid concern I can see, is that ANR can in theory be selective regarding the frequencies that get cancelled, so that you may be exposed to whatever gets through at full volume as there is little passive protection. Counterpoint is that this is true for any hearing protection, and also that bose would've been sued out of existence 30 years ago if their headsets didn't work.

Hughes500
3rd May 2023, 06:01
If you have a big head forget the Gallet 250. Bought one recently my thoughts v Alpha ( my current helmet)

1. I wear a large Alpha ( head measures top end of medium long bottom end of large ) could not getter Gallet to fit so had to sell it on
2. The visor system is really difficult to work while wearing gloves ( do a lot of line work with no doors on in winter )
3. The chin strap system doesnt seem very robust
4. Shell is smaller than the Alpha, although dont have a problem of sticking head outside a 500 with no door ( i m 6 ft 1 )
5 Gallet offer a load of different options
6 Took Gallet 4 months to make one for me, not a bad price twin visor normal headset was £ 1700 here in UK this year