PDA

View Full Version : C172 go-around procedure

RUDAS
29th Nov 2003, 19:03
I'm training on a C172,and was just wanting to know the procedure for a go-around.Is it flaps up THEN full power or full power THEN flaps up?:ok:

is this the same for a touch & go?

MasterCaution
29th Nov 2003, 23:18
Check the flight manual for the official procedure (I don't have one to hand at the moment). I set full power then raise the flaps to 20 if they were at 30 degrees. Do not raise the flaps any more than this until safely away from the ground (I use 200+ ft QFE, above 65kts, with a positive rate of climb as the minimum).

Avoid confusing the techniques for the missed approach and touch-n-go. In one of my first circuit lessons in a 152 I got confused and tried to fully raise the flaps before applying full power when performing a go-around at about 50 ft. Lucky to have a very competent instructor that day!

MC

aces low
30th Nov 2003, 01:53
I usually teach:

Power Up...i.e. full power
Pitch Up ...to horizon = shallow climb attitude
Gear Up...if fitted
Drag Flap UP ...i.e to 2nd stage

then when +ve rate of climb, flap away in stages, maintaining nose on horizon.

However, CAAFU examiner has told me that the 'correct procedure' is to wait for +ROC before putting gear up. This provides some protection if the aircraft has high inertia and is still going down and may strike the ground.

homeguard
30th Nov 2003, 05:23
Whatever the a/c.

1) Max power - prevent yaw - wings level

2) Achieve max rate climb speed for flap setting

3) Trim

4) Raise flap if more than 20 degrees - no more than 10 deg at a time(C172) - allow speed to increase further.

5) Trim

5a) Call "going around"

6) 300ft QFE (some say 200ft QFE) - in stages of no more than 10deg., raise remaining flap

7) Achieve Best rate climb

8) Trim

Note;

Ensure that you turn downwide (or as directed by ATC) prior to flying past the upwind end of the runway (this ensures that there will not be a conflict with a/c taking off beneath you.)

Power is always first to minimise further loss of height. Raising flaps will cause further loss of height (C172) until airspeed is increased and a positive climb is established.

Hope that helps!

fireflybob
1st Dec 2003, 00:20
Firstly if there is a procedure in the Flight Manual/Pilots Operating Handbook then use it since this is specific to type.

Retracting flap invariably results in a certain amount of "sink" - how mujch depends on a/c type, amount of flap retracted etc.

However the essential ingredients of a "Go Around" are:-

1. Select FULL Power (Rudder to keep straight).

2. Adopt the correct attitude to climb away at best ANGLE (not the same as best rate) - see appropriate speed in POH etc.

3. Immediately get rid of the "drag" flap - the bit between full flap and flap setting for short field take off (typically).

4. When at a safe height retract the rest of the flap. What constitues a safe height depends on type etc. Older types of a/c with inferior climb performance might mean waiting till 200/300 ft agl. Other types 100 ft agl might be quite acceptable.

5. Usual stuff about turning towards dead side to see departing/rolling traffic etc. - this bit is called "Airmanship"!

flyby_kiwi
3rd Dec 2003, 14:06
It all sounds the same as how we do it in a C172 only when retracting the flap we go straight from 30deg to 10deg - then with +'ve IAS and ROC back to zero and climb out as normal (80kts).

Anything more than 10deg we consider 'drag flap' more than 'lift flap'.