PDA

View Full Version : Airac 250

ghost-rider
27th Nov 2003, 21:40
I understand the need to change airspace around etc etc, but why the need to change specific waypoint names ?

eg As far as I can tell, Barlu is now Garmi, and Fawbo is now Akiki etc etc :{

What is the point ? :ugh:

Thanks in advance

flowman
27th Nov 2003, 22:16
So that you don't use old FPL or FMS data (or old maps).

ghost-rider
27th Nov 2003, 23:09
OK, I can see that, but ....

Surely the route would REJ ( reject ) anyway if it was against new SRS/RAD etc regardless of the name of the waypoint ?! :ugh:

Just as crews and AOs get used to waypoints ( geographically ) they change ! :{

And the FMS data is almost always playing catch-up these days ! :uhoh:

VectorLine
28th Nov 2003, 00:22
It's the same for us on the ground.

All we had was a bit of paper saying what the airways and points were to be called. No practice in the sim. Just expected to know the changes before the airac change.

I was looking at the map all the time to see where I was supposed to be routing aircraft.

Poor assistants have a hard time when amending/fixing FPLs!!

ghost-rider
28th Nov 2003, 00:38
VectorLine,

tell me about it !! :{

My collegues and I have spent all day recomputing flightplans on most Spanish-UK routes as our wonderfull new flight-planning system :ugh: failed to recognize the requirement to be at FL340 by Barlu, er I mean, Garmi ! :uhoh:

VectorLine
29th Nov 2003, 03:44
And just to show that none of us really know whats going on - I have just realised that GARMI is what used to be FAWBO.

BARLU is now either BADIV (or similar) or AKIKI - one of them is new (I think) - confused?

And REDNO exists twice - Once over the channel and once in Irish airspace - So i am led to believe.........

ghost-rider
29th Nov 2003, 14:32
Rumour has it that on the next AIRAC cycle, all the airport names will be changing. EDI will become GLA, LTN will be EMA, and FRA will become MUC. :rolleyes:

Although thinking about it, RYR have been doing that for years !!! ;)