PDA

View Full Version : TMG rating

Kingy
27th Nov 2003, 20:48
Hi Instructors,

I have a question = I am a PPL with a JAR SEP rating - how do I go about adding a TMG rating? - is there anything I should look for out for re: currency and am I right in thinking some 'motor gliders' are actually classed as SEP...?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Kingy

edited to say - I also have a Gliding Bronze 'C' if that makes any difference..

jgs43
27th Nov 2003, 21:18
You require to pass the TMG Class rating LST with an examiner holding a TMG Examiners rating and then pay the CAA the relevant fee to have the rating entered into your licence.
If you haven't flown TMG before then you will probably require several hours with a TMG instructor as these aircraft require different handling during approach and landing e.g. spoilers/airbrakes instead of flaps.
To my knowledge all motor gliders that fall within the relevant definition require either a TMG or SLMG rating to fly them legitimately. (the situation may be different for service aircraft)
Motor gliders are seperated into SLMG and TMG the former being sailplanes with retractable powerplants and the latter fixed power plants. Within the UK FIR you can fly both groups on either an SLMG or TMG rating. Self sustaining sailplanes i.e. TURBO's do not currently require a pilots licence.

With the TMG rating the hours flown in TMG and SEP are mutually acceptable for the revalidation of both ratings. With an SLMG rating the hours flown in a motor glider only count for their SLMG revalidation while the SEP hours only count towards the SEP
revalidation requirements. The latter is relevant to the NPPL only as you cannot obtain an SLMG licence within the UK on a JAR licence.
In your case the Bronze C makes no difference other than that you will obviously have experience of operating with spoilers/airbrakes.
The dispensation now available is for initial issue of the rating only and permits certain BGA member clubs to offer courses to their members for the gaining of an NPPL SLMG. The holding of a Glider Pilots Licence reduces the flying requirements to 10 hours.
Trust that this clarifies the matter.

Kingy
28th Nov 2003, 07:54
JGS43

Thanks! It all makes sense to me now - does the test need to be with a JAR FI? I remember back in the days before JAR, gliding instructors with a ppl could instruct on what were then called SLMGs - is this still the case?

Kingy

jgs43
28th Nov 2003, 14:31
Test has to be undertaken by a JAR EXAMINER not an FI.

The situation has changed since the days that you mention.
There are two distinct Instructor Ratings available through the BGA/CAA.
The first is the BGA MGIR - this permits the holder of a Full BGA Glider instructor rating with a PPL SLMG to instruct in Motor Gliders for the sole purpose of teaching gliding exercises. The rating is gained by examination by a suitably qualified BGA Regional or Senior Regional examiner.
The CAA MGIR is obtained by attending a one week course run by the BGA and permits the holder to instruct for the purpose of the student gaining an NPPL. This rating does not permit gliding instruction.
In addition one can always go the full CAA route and obtain an FI rating which would permit training for the TMG and SLMG ratings assuming that you hold these class ratings on your JAR licence.
There are various exemptions that permit training for the NPPL SLMG to be undertaken from specified BGA (non licensed) and also permit a SLMG instructor to charge for the training without the requirement to hold a CPL. - Most of this can be gleaned from LASORS.

Kingy
28th Nov 2003, 18:18
jgs 43,

Many thanks again, I've been trying to find this out for ages, none of my 'power' or 'gliding' instructor contacts knew the answers as the old gulf between the two seems to be still in place!

Cordially

Kingy

jgs43
28th Nov 2003, 18:41
Glad to have been of help.

As BGA SRE (Senior Regional Examiner) for Scotland and Borders I am constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge of the various requirements. Admitted, it is a minefield at the moment. Whether or not EASA will improve matters remains to be seen!!

BEagle
29th Nov 2003, 15:15
Don't forget that, when you've got your TMG Rating, hours flown on either SEP or TMG will count for re-validation of both Ratings. But get the Ratings re-validated initially to the same date, otherwise you could end up needing to complete twice the re-validation hours if, for example, your expiry dates were a year apart.

Incidentally, for those who wish to know, as far as JAR-FCL is concerned, experience in the Air Cadet operated Vigilant T Mk 1 is considered as TMG experience, not SEP aeroplane experience.