PDA

View Full Version : Trainee ATCO pay structure

garthy
26th Nov 2003, 18:39
If and when the next round of recruitment begins, I hope to be able to have this question answered then, but maybe someone can answer it before then.
Why do trainees get £100 a week living allowance on top of a salary, why don't NATS just make it a part of the salary? Is there some kind a qualification for it?
Has anyone heard any more news about testing days. I notice the on-line application form has changed again, so I hope mine was submitted (did get the confirmation email)
Good luck to all the patient people out there

VectorLine
27th Nov 2003, 01:53
Why ask? You get it and that's that. Don't complain!

You won't get it when you are a trainee at a unit, but you will get shift allowance which is a good bit less (you'd think it would be the same??) although your salary will be more.

As far as I remember there is no qualification apart from having to claim for it with valid receipts.

Odi
27th Nov 2003, 03:14
My understanding is that it is not part of salary so that you are not taxed on it, nor liable for NI contributions on it and NATS don't pay employer contribution s on it.

Winners all round!

garthy
27th Nov 2003, 04:02
Believe me, I'm not complaining about the deal, just curious as to it's structure.
Its a fantastic deal, and if the tax free status etc is correct then what an even bigger bonus. :ok:
I have no complaints what so ever about the salary structure of the ATCO course, I mean, you get a salary to start with, which when you compare it to the guys chasing ATPL etc, is just a god send.

VectorLine
27th Nov 2003, 04:17
Yes, it is tax free.

The sum used to be £108.50 taxed. when it changed to untaxed NATS droppped it to £100 which meant more in your pocket and less on NATS outgoings - as Odi said, everyones a winner.

You also get to claim car mileage for a trip home every month. So if you live a fair distance away, it can add up to a nice extra sum. When I was a Student you didnt have to prove you had done the journey. So they relied on you being 'honest' when you claimed it.

Obviously every one went home once a month :)

Salary is very good considering there is an outside chance of some not making the full distance. Oh and by the way - since the SATC course is registered as a full time course of further education - you are classed as a full time student, so you can get all the benefits that goes with that too (such as a railcard even if you are over 26, and free council tax if you are in a house entirely occupied by students i.e. sharing with other SATCs!!)

Good Luck!

garthy
27th Nov 2003, 04:24
Thanks VectorLine,
the folks live in Bournemouth, so I don't think the mileage is worth it!! But then again, the in laws are in London, and as the wife will (hopefully) be giving up a lot to move down with me, I guess the princess deserves some allowance!
Cheers, your a lot more helpful than HR are at the moment!!