PDA

View Full Version : Information Service

FireFoxDown
25th Nov 2003, 06:38
Hi there,

Perhaps you could answer a question for a student pilot. The airport where i fly is in Class G airspace and provides an Information Service. The questions i have are:

1) Is it only an information service beacause of the class of space?

2) What is involved in being the "controller"(correct term?) for this kind of airspace? I ask this because i know some of the Flight Instructors are qualified to administer this service and am just curious as to what would be involved. Would it be possible for me as a budding SPL to train and achieve this rating or would this require a huge undertaking and commitment?

As usual any information greatfully received! :ok:

Thanks,
FireFoxDown

vintage ATCO
25th Nov 2003, 13:31
The airspace doesn't determine the service, it all depends what the airfield owner/operator chooses to provide.

Full ATC - manned by ATCOs
Flight Information - manned by Flight Information Service Officers
Air/Ground - manned by Air Ground Radio Operators

FISOs hold a licence having passed the appropriate exams then operate for 40hrs under supervision before they are validated by a local examiner or SRG. Also hold a Class 3 medical.

A/G Operators have to pass an exam to get the Certificate but an ATCO licence or R/T licence will normally mean you can get the Certificate without taking the exam. No local validation, no medical. An R/T licence does NOT mean you can provide A/G, a popular misconception, you must obtain the Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence first.

Sorry, bit brief, in a hurry, off for the day job!

VA

Spitoon
26th Nov 2003, 01:46
As ever, vintage provides a sound answer - but this is the situation in the UK. The arrangements in Ireland may be a little different - note too that the UK does not follow the ICAO rules particularly closely for FISO.

vintage ATCO
26th Nov 2003, 03:00
Ah, Spitoon!! Didn't notice the Irish label. As ever, RTFQ. Well done; sorry, FFD.

:( :( :(

VA

M609
26th Nov 2003, 03:41
Follow up, spitoon/vintage: Is ATC on ADs with class G and only ATZ a UK speciality? Have not come across it anywhere else.

windsock9
26th Nov 2003, 05:11
Barton is a good example of FIS, there is no requirement for full ATC at the field. Although it is busy, FIS works well and the FISO's are proficiant at there job. . Also a good point to remember is that there is 'no' such flight that operates from barton which 'requires' a full air traffic control service. eg scheduled/charter etc where the flight has to depart no matter what (within reason). The pilots are at Barton soley for the purpose of pleasure and learning, if there was a flight service operating from barton where seperation 'had' to be 100% guaranteed by 'controllers' eg under IFR etc, the airspace would obviously be a different entity. Hope you understand. This is how i see it so if anyone wants to correct me on anything i have stated please do! windsock

vintage ATCO
26th Nov 2003, 05:40
'no' such flight that operates from barton which 'requires' a full air traffic control service. eg scheduled/charter etc

You don't even require full ATC in these circumstances.

Is ATC on ADs with class G and only ATZ a UK speciality? Have not come across it anywhere else

I don't know but where the Ad has an instrument approach then in the UK you require full ATC.

VA

APP Radar
26th Nov 2003, 05:57
Not to long ago LPCS - Cascais, Portugal (near Lisbon) only had Flight Information Service and local traffic was protected by a ATZ.

Due to traffic demand Cascais is now a controlled aerodrome and has a CTR.

But Evora (in Alentejo) LPEV is trying to get an approval for a ATZ to protect local traffic.

Installed in LPEV is a flying school www.aee.pt owned by portuguese carrier TAP and others ...

So ATZ is not a UK privelege ...

When Cascais was a ATZ, FIS was provided by AITAs which had a valid license and training for it .

E. Ascensão
Lisboa Approach

FireFoxDown
26th Nov 2003, 06:13
Wow guys! Thank you all for your very informative responses! You've helped this Student Pilot understand a little more ... :ok:

Thanks!