PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Vs Stansted

Buster the Bear
25th Nov 2003, 02:14
Terminal Passengers and Air Transport Movements - 12 months ended 31stOctober 2003 :-

Passengers followed by Movements:

1.Heathrow - 62,830,522 up 1.6% , 456,248 down 0.4%
2.Gatwick - 29,746,323 up 1.9% , 235,314 up 2.2%
3.Manchester - 19,270,498 up 4.4% , 189,151 up 7.5%
4.Stansted - 18,198,588 up 18.4%, 168,054 up 14.8%

Not bad considering little airspace and a single runway at Stansted!

8.Luton - 6,745,883 up 4.9% , 58,030 up 7.2%

**777lover**
25th Nov 2003, 02:26
Hi,

Personally i prefer visiting MAN because of the variety of airlines. At MAN you have CX,PIA and SIN. But at STN you EZY,RYR and the occasional Cargo. Bring more planes into MAN. I live closer to STN so i hope expand it and make a huge hub as all us South East Enthusiasts want!!!

Thanks

Dave:p

HAMMY
25th Nov 2003, 02:37
And what about Gatwick?Granted it has a little more airspace but just as many runways as Stansted.

Jerricho
25th Nov 2003, 02:46
Wait till "London Stanstead" gets it's 3 spanking news runways. And "London Gatwick" gets it's new one. Poor old "London Heathrow" will be in for a bit of competition.

Buster the Bear
25th Nov 2003, 03:01
Gatwick has its own airspace the size of Wales (Well nearly). Stansted has very little useable airspace of its own.

Add the Luton LRL/ABBOT arrivals and the Cambridge airways traffic, then folks on ESSEX radar a doing a fine job eh?

HAMMY
25th Nov 2003, 03:06
Buster Bear,I agree that the Essex boys do do a fine job,but are you trying to say that just because somewhere has more airspace than stansted that the controllers at those other units sit with their thumbs up their butts all day?

bagpuss lives
25th Nov 2003, 03:06
I think EGSS has quite enough airspace of it's own!

Buster the Bear
25th Nov 2003, 03:16
Any ESSEX controllers like to shoot down or agree with niteflite?

"Stansted has enough airspace of its own".

I love a lively discussion, anyway, off to cause more trouble with the Siberian tigers!

You cannot hide from the fact that Stansted WILL overtake Manchester in both movements and passenger numbers VERY SOON!

Stansted, the UK's 3rd busiest airport, its gonna happen!

Jerricho
25th Nov 2003, 03:23
And by 2020, the proposed expansion project of a Kent "cargo" airport things may be a little different.

HAMMY
25th Nov 2003, 03:45
quote "You cannot hide from the fact that Stansted WILL overtake Manchester in both movements and passenger numbers VERY SOON!

Stansted, the UK's 3rd busiest airport, its gonna happen!"

and then the LCC's bubble goes pop and sunny stansted is left with two new runways a lovely new terminal and no scheduled services to fill them with.
Should help in the tight and complex world of Essex radar.

Buster the Bear
25th Nov 2003, 06:29
Who mentioned LCC's?

HAMMY are you getting a bit jealous, is your thumb tightly squeeeeezzzeed?

This discussion was related to EGCC Vs EGSS.

HAMMY, I also recommend you check your grammar, the use of capital letters, sentence structures etc, need I go on? (BASIC ENGLISH)!

Realistically, you are out of touch. BA have a Heathrow niche that includes Gatwick. Easy and the Harps are here to stay. Folk use planes like they did trains and Ferry services 20 years ago. It will not be the MAJOR Low Cost Carriers that fail. (Sabena Swissair).

Face facts, Stansted is operating in the shadow of the other BAA London airports and tightly squeezed regarding airspace. Go on, check your charts!

Scott Voigt
25th Nov 2003, 11:29
Makes you wonder why all of the London Terminal Airspace isn't run by one approach control...? You would think that it would make the coordination a LOT simpler.

regards

Scott

Jerricho
25th Nov 2003, 12:35
That's very good Buster.

I thought this was a discussion forum. Not an English and grammar class. We all know I can't spell for sh*t, so if would do me the service of check my posts for typos. I would really appreciate it.

And LCC's are rightly mentioned. What's the percentage of flights into Essex Radar Airspace that are Easy or Ryanair? Very relevant to the topic.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/knob.gif

Very easy to be childish, isn't it.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Nov 2003, 16:19
Looking at all the new routes and airlines coming on stream next year Manchester is fighting back, so I think the pax figures stand a very good chance of going through the 20 Million next year and movements well I wouldn`t like to predict

Golf India Bravo

25th Nov 2003, 16:27
Logic dictates that in the short to medium term CC is always going to be busier; whatever is planned for SS in the long term (and I do think it will eventually become the main London airport) they are already a good ten years behind CC in terms of infrastructure. Anyone remember how long it took to get 24L built?

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Nov 2003, 16:36
Just out of interest what is the max runway capability at Stansted

Golf-India Bravo

25th Nov 2003, 17:18
With current UK CAA rules the [theoretical] maximum capacity on any single runway is sixty per hour. I believe KK is close to that now.

HAMMY
25th Nov 2003, 21:36
Buster Bear thanks for those kind words.touched a raw nerve there did I.You know Ringway will always come first ,always has done and always will.Not edited for spelling or grammar in the hope of being corrected by my best mate Buster.

Slaphead
25th Nov 2003, 23:23
I don't know enough about the Manchester operation to be able to make a comparison with Essex/Stansted and I wouldn't want to get into a tit for tat exchange even if I did.

What I would say is;

the airspace used by Essex is not huge in comparison with other airports served from TC;

that the vertical and lateral limits of CAS have a large influence over the method of operation as does the proximity of other airports such as London Luton and London City;

having shared holds for two very adjacent airports isn't always easy and sometimes the operators into one airport suffer as a result;

that the biggest improvement that could be made to the Essex operation in the short term would be to deconflict the arrival and departure routes and that way we could shift more traffic. I believe that the maximum hour this year is 51 movements to/from Stansted, not sure how many Luton, Cambridge and Northolt movements were also in the sector at the time.

I believe that the low cost operators based at Stansted are here to stay so if the terminal is expanded and/or additional infrastructure added it won't be wasted.

His master'svoice
25th Nov 2003, 23:34
Buster the Bear, I think Jerricho summed things up perfectly. But if you’re going to appoint yourself as the site’s English critic I suggest that you first brush up on your own grammar and use of capital letters.

In your previous message, LCC’s should have been written LCCs. BA is a single airline and so the company has, rather than have, a Heathrow niche, Ferry should be written with a lower case f and there isn't need for capitals in the term Low Cost Carriers.

Is there a reason why you had to write basic English and major in capital letters? And what does (Sabena Swissair) mean?

Jerricho
26th Nov 2003, 01:00
Actually, re-reading the thread, is there really a point to the thread other than to highlight the fact that movement numbers (RPT and GA) are increasing.

I didn't realise there was a competition going.

Any ESSEX controllers like to shoot down or agree with niteflite?

Am I to take this you're not an Essex controller?

Stansted, the UK's 3rd busiest airport, its gonna happen!

Buster acting like a 1st class ****, its already happened!

Buster the Bear
27th Nov 2003, 20:22
Good to see a lively debate.

Anyway, now I have wound everyone up, I am off to upset the chimp's tea party! I just love thier corned beef sarnies!!

Who would have thought it 12 years ago, that the white elephant in Essex would one day become the UK's 3rd busiest airport?

MAN777
28th Nov 2003, 00:42
Of course Stansted is going to get busier if it is sustained by what amounts to flying buses going to all points in darkest europe for £0 + taxes !.

The British love a bargain and use these dubious routes and airlines to explore on the cheap. The fact that the airport is miles from anywhere, costs a fortune to get to, park and eat seems irrelevant.

Manchester on the other hand is centrally placed with excellent communication links, it has a genuine catchment area (not distorted by LCCs cheap fares) and a balanced mix of traffic, premier long and short haul airlines rub shoulders with the bucket a spade brigade, freighters and our own LCCs.

SS has too many eggs in one basket and I hope for the sake of its future that the LCC bubble does not burst.

Jerricho
28th Nov 2003, 04:07
Buster, I think your over inflated opinion of yourself is quite evident. Run back to your little tower where ever it is.

You haven't wound anybody up. Just displayed what your true colours are.

Enjoy the tea party. You'll fit right in.

Buster the Bear
29th Nov 2003, 04:11
"Over inflated opinion"

"Little Tower" (So you must work in a big tower then?)

"Displayed what my true colours are"

"Enjoy the tea party. You'll fit right in"

Sound like words from a desperate person fleeing?

Buster is humble, full of facts and certainly never lies, does not work in a tower and hates chimps!

I hope the folk in the towers of the 2 respective airports get paid equally?

As much as I hate Stansted, yes it is a bus station, but the airlines are shifting bodies and making money!

Can any one find a source that says if Stansted makes an actual profit for me, a BAA shareholder? The BAA as group makes a fortune, but are figures available from BAA sources that indicate the profit/loss of Stansted should they have to stop cross subsidising thier business, so rumour has it?

Anyway, I am off to over inflate my opinion, whilst working in my little tower, wearing my true colours, and enjoy sarnies with the chimps.

chiglet
29th Nov 2003, 04:19
Buster,
I suggest that you give Ms Chase a sample of your "Treats"
watpiktch

Buster the Bear
29th Nov 2003, 04:24
Ms Chase, is this a coded message, for if it is, I am totally at a loss?

The Obvious Choice
29th Nov 2003, 04:26
Very well said Buster!!

Buster the Bear
29th Nov 2003, 05:09
TOC. Obviously the choice of Buster. If I could give away free tickets to see me I would, but the keepers could shoot me with drowsy darts!

Anyway. Stansted will/is the third busiest airport in the UK. It does not matter the yield per pax, ATCO's still have to work to land and depart them and folk at the airports process them!

My well wishes to the staff at the UK's third busiest airport (Soon), Stansted, and the same to the UK's forth busiest, Manchester!

Mr Jerry Co, come and visit me soon?

Jerricho
29th Nov 2003, 19:07
Oh, I get it Buster.

Your therapist obviously has suggested as part of your attempts to feel good about yourself, you should go an try to wind people up on the Internet. It all becomes clear. If this is what you have to do to get by, good luck. Just take it one day at a time.

I'm very disapointed in myself. I try not to get drawn into this childish "tit-for-tat". Arguing on the Internet is like wearing a mask of a vagina over your head (some of us may not have to!). Even if you win, you still look like a c**t.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
29th Nov 2003, 23:10
Before I issue pistols at dawn for some of you, in reality how many flights extra can Stansted handle before the second runway is required? it cannot be too far off, I know quite a high percentage of Manchester flights are heavies therefore need larger gaps on finals and therefore runway occupency is not as high

Golf India Bravo

HAMMY
30th Nov 2003, 02:43
Pistols at dawn not required.Its just a bit of tit for a tw*t.

chiglet
30th Nov 2003, 03:32
Buster, it was meant to be a certain "Lorraine Chase", you know .."Nah Mate, Luton Aiiirpowt". or am I barking up the wrong tree?
watpiktch

carbootking
30th Nov 2003, 03:39
all this talk about 2nr runway wot about the rumour its already built and it will only take month or so to get operrational.another point is branson has been looking at stansted for ages rumour and he wants sat 4 yet to be built, who the hell wants to drive to heathrow and sit in a 1950s place . i spent a year and a bit doing chauffering out of lhr and got stuck in the same traffic every day. i cant wait for stn to expand even though according to the plans i get a new main road opposite ware i live , i have been in the place scince it opened and was in old term as well, in the old days 91 92 doing catering use to be spot the pax, now days more pax sleep in the placeat night every one has to give thanks to the lo cos with out them ba and the rest would never give cheap fares to compete, how many jobs say have been created in the last 7 years at all airports.

Buster the Bear
6th Dec 2003, 04:14
WOW, what a debate! (I must admit to winding folk up a bit and for that I have been locked up by me keeper!)

Anyway, if the German construction company (Fifth largest in the world) buy TBI and into Luton airport for cash, then the second runway could be subject to a corporate battle? One could think that thier could be a a real punch up? BAA Vs Hochtief? A real Stansted Vs Luton. Just think of the all the respective locals sitting outside No10. NO NOISE NEAR US!

Chiglet, thanks for that and Jerry I love you, come and see me sometime. I like corned beef sarnies and not honey. HAMMY, I am off to have a few Bear to English translation lessons.

http://www.gifs.net/animate/bear3p.gif

The Obvious Choice
6th Dec 2003, 04:24
Ya back then Buster?!?!!?