PDA

View Full Version : ATPL book for SPL

FireFoxDown
24th Nov 2003, 21:00
Hi All! :O

As Christmas is rapidly(!) approaching im turning my thoughts to what santa might bring me and ive been thinking about an ATPL book....a bit of background info: Im 20 years old, SPL with 30 hours and am planning to go the whole route to a career in this wonderful industry! I have a passion for flight and this is why im thinking about getting an ATPL manual....but for what subject? Im thinking MET would be interesting because its practicle in everyday life but perhaps Aircraft Technical...or Systems? Im doing PPL groudschool as an evening course this year and have just finished Human Factors, am just starting Air Law, and have Nav and Principles of Flight(etc.) after XMas so i dont want to confuse things...

any suggestions?

thanks! :D

Northern Highflyer
24th Nov 2003, 21:39
With the groundschool I am with you receive a complete set of manuals covering several subjects, which I assume is the same for the other schools.

It may be better to concentrate on your PPL first, get that under your belt, and then move onto ATPL's.

I can understand your eagerness to get on and have a preview of what is to come, but buying just one manual may be wasting your money. Why not look at some of the pilot supply shops and buy a good book or video which offers advice on how to make it in the industry, maybe one offering hints and tips on interviews, etc.

If you are dead set on an ATPL manual then you could buy one of the Jepp manuals without signing up to a school.

FireFoxDown
27th Nov 2003, 01:04
Highflyer,

thanks for your reply!! Yeah i know i should really concentrate on my PPL solely but ... you know how it is! ;) Eager is not the word ... :O

witchdoctor
27th Nov 2003, 16:38
Personally I would plump for a batch of vids or dvd's - much easier and often more interesting to learn from than the dry text of any manual. Most schools will provide their own manuals anyway in each subject, and groundschool will follow these. Best not to confuse matters by using one set of manuals to prep from and then having to study properly from another. Could prove a major headache and a waste of money.

BWould also suggest avoiding anything specifically aimed at JAA syllabus and concentrate on something more general for building up a wider understanding of the subject. Agree met would be a good choice as it is a fascinating subject - all the techy stuff is a real drag (yes, I know we have to know it but it still bores me rigid). Alternatively, some of the flight deck vids might be worth a watch just to see how all this knowledge and training is put to use after licence issue.

FireFoxDown
27th Nov 2003, 17:59
Withdoctor - good idea! :) I was worried that if i were to confuse myself with regard to something in the ATPL syllabus at this stage it would be very hard to undo! Ive seen a few flightdeck recordings on Discovery Wings - very interesting ... a video/dvd might be a good idea - ill check it out! ;)

thanks!