PDA

View Full Version : VISCOUNT ACCIDENT 70s (SPEKE)

SPIT
22nd Nov 2003, 06:24
I am trying to find the Date and Inquiry Date of a Viscount Aircraft (ALIDAIR)?? AT APPROX 0100 HRS. a VISCOUNT collided with a GPU that was being towed away (Owned by Servisair).
As I said I am trying to find any details of this a/c and accident report. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME WITH THIS???:mad: ::mad: :mad:
All I can remember is that it was a Femail First Officer. I have tried the www, GOOGLE but I can find "NO" reference to this. :confused: :confused:

Spot 4
22nd Nov 2003, 15:39
Dont shout!

My ears are still ringing:uhoh:

This accident is usually classed as an `incident` unless loss of life occurs or the aircraft is a write off. Suspect that only minor damage would occur and that as such is unlikely to get any webspace. A visit to LPL on a saturday morning will probably get you your answers from a seasoned spotter, of which there are many.

Bryan Trunfield is the man to get hold of, (ex LPL director and OC 635 VGS) but sadly I have no contact details. Failing that, North West (read Meseyside) spotters have their own very professional magazine called "Rapide" which includes a "Wanted" Ads section. email [email protected] for details or tel 01244 373551.

www.fola.org.uk may be usefull.

MrNosy
27th Nov 2003, 16:31
AIB Bulletin 8/76

13 July 1976 Alidair Viscount 708 G-ARBY 2 crew no injuries, non-scheduled cargo flight.

The aircraft, having received ATC taxy clearance, taxied into a GPU and tractor that was in the process of moving clear of the aircraft from its position under the nose. The GPU etc were hit by the stbd props and the wing leading edge was damaged by debris.

Probably meets the Annex 13 definition of an 'accident' rather than an incident as the aircraft sounds like it sustained 'substantial' damage.

Why the interest in this accident?

newswatcher
27th Nov 2003, 16:43
report (http://aviation-safety.net/database/1980/800717-0.htm)

spekesoftly
27th Nov 2003, 18:59
Re the Exeter accident, don't you just love these technical 'euphemisms'.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Fuel starvation

I seem to recall that the aircraft simply ran out of fuel. Confusion over the conversion of lbs/kgs, litres/gallons?

BEXIL160
27th Nov 2003, 22:56
Re the EGTE accident...

I've got a bit of a dubious connection here as my uncle (Roy Dyer... taken from us early sadly) was the ATCO doing the SRA to rwy26. Anyway, he told me that the Crew just stopped talking and the primary blip just wandered off the tube. There was no mention of a fuel problem.

Anyway to the cause. AFAIK the fuel guages on the aircraft were known to be U/S and the crew (Capt Whittaker?) were using the Fuel Flow Meters for planning. This was their Fourth rotation of the day and there was some confusion as to exactly HOW MUCH fuel had been added in Santander, where the a/c had come from. The tanks had not been dipped.

The crew did consider that all was not well, and had considered a diversion to Jersey or Guernsey on the return, but opted to continue to Exeter... where they ran out fuel and carried out a forced landing (wheels up) in the dark, in a field.:eek: Casulaties? A few sheep. :( Pax and crew all safe :ok:

I remember the night itself fairly well, because on the same night a Cessna 150 got lost in poor wx near Plymouth and made a precautionary landing on a football field next to the Wrigleys chewing Gum factory. I know, 'cos I was there. Later down the pub my mates told me about a "plane making a forced landing". "Yeah", says I "I know all about it"...... except I didn't know about the Viscount! ;)

Forgive me launching down memory lane, somebody, somewhere might be interested...no, oh.. ummm.... sorry.... I'll get my coat....

Rgds
BEX