PDA

View Full Version : What's British World Up To?

The Guvnor
3rd Dec 2001, 22:12
Browsing through the CAA's Official Record Series 2, I spotted the following route application from BWA:

1B/8/36 - LGW-BJL/CKY/DKR/FNA/FIH and LHR-BJL/CKY/DKR/FNA/FIH.

Also noted: LGW and MAN to Las Vegas.

Now, I know that BWA are operating LGW-FNA on behalf of First Charter - but what about the other destinations?

There could be interesting times ahead!

Jacksman
3rd Dec 2001, 22:43
Guv, is there a link to this CAA route info?
-it would be nice to see what my lot are planning!

The Guvnor
4th Dec 2001, 00:03
Absolutely - you can find it here (http://www.atol.org.uk/airlinelic/pdf_files/or2number3.pdf). These documents are reissued on a weekly basis; the relevant one is no 1515 of the 13th November.

A 1B licence is a scheduled licence, btw - so if all goes according to plan methinks the 757s will be spending a fair amount of time in the more 'interesting' parts of the world! :eek: Perhaps you'd better start genning yourselves up by reading the African Forum on a regular basis! :D :D

BCal did pretty well on the African services and BWA should as well (albeit that the real moneyspinner, Lagos, has been taken by VS and BA).

World Traveller
4th Dec 2001, 00:04
http://www.atol.org.uk/airlinelic/or2.htm

WT

aztruck
4th Dec 2001, 15:01
Rumour control to Major Tom.......
Psst (its all down to an encounter with Charly the lucky crocodile)

Kalium Chloride
4th Dec 2001, 16:15
Banjul on the list - this isn't all part of the Sierra National Airlines contract is it?

MEVERTSGB
4th Dec 2001, 17:12
By the looks of it, this application was made on the 13 Nov 2001. That's a long time ago (in today's climate !)

aztruck
4th Dec 2001, 18:32
Charly the crocodile alive and well and living in Banjul. Every Monday night ex Gatwick to Banjul via Freetown. Many crew have taken up bongo playing and are sporting culturally diverse apparel. If Mondays no good, then try Freetown ex Gatwick on a Thursday instead. Excellent on board grub, but a bit heavy on the garlic for such a confined space.

HugMonster
5th Dec 2001, 02:30
Does this mean that Ugandan discussions are permitted amongst consenting aircrew? :D

aztruck
5th Dec 2001, 14:11
I would certainly plead Diplomatic Immunity in that case. No one likes to air their dirty washing in Public, especially if they're wearing it.
Strangely, this topic was already forseen by David bowie...."and the papers want to know who's shirts you wear..now its time to leave the capsule if you dare.."
Major Tom was never in contact with Dakar obviously, as I have never heard them ask for Crew Uniform details, and the lyric also fails to mention other reporting points on the route to Freetown.
However, it is still possible that Major Tom was indeed on his way to Freetown eventually, but may have been burned to a crisp encroute upon re-entry.
If he survived however, the Nasa base at Banjul would have been able to arrange for a clean shirt of the appropriate manufacture.
Were this to happen now, it would be with great pride that British World would transport his shirt without losing ours.
I must be going.. the Cheese tray has arrived.

BOTFOJ
7th Dec 2001, 02:35
this smacks of desparation, they have lost a lot of money recently and are also losing business they thought was in the bag for next Summer.

Devils Advocate
7th Dec 2001, 02:58
So go on then, please sally forth with your commercial / aviation insight and acumen and enlighten us as to just why it 'smacks of desperation' - because on the flip side it might be said that their business plans actually seem quite buoyant & positive - thus your insight as to why they're wrong, yet you're right, would be truly enlightening.

aztruck
8th Dec 2001, 13:34
Botfoj could always try and get a seat on one of the 3 round trips to Freetown before Xmas, but he'd have a job, cos they are all sold out. However, an interview with Charly the Crocodile could be arranged in the new year.......

BOTFOJ
11th Dec 2001, 13:24
so what happened last night then aztruck? ;)

Hamrah
11th Dec 2001, 17:30
BWA subchartered Monarch for it's Freetown service last night due to Sierra National Airlines booking 256 passengers (with excess baggage)on a 757 with 233 seats,a nd limited baggage capacity.

Thursday's rotation to FNA will go ahead as normal on the 757.

H

aztruck
12th Dec 2001, 14:10
Snappy reply. Therein hangs a tail...

mach78
12th Dec 2001, 15:07
Sure is some BIG interesting things going-I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you..

BOTFOJ
13th Dec 2001, 18:13
Shame the other BWA threads keep getting pulled, there is something kicking off whether you are in denial or not.