PDA

View Full Version : ERJ into EGCC Saturday 16th November

Flap Speed
17th Nov 2003, 02:56
I was close to CC yesterday afternoon when the emergency traffic came in.

I realised something was going on when the Fire brigade went zooming past me under the rwy tunnels and then turned up the access road to 24L through the barriers.

I listened in as a/c were put into the stacks at DAYNE and ROSUN but was then surprised by them being pulled off and vectored in for 24R. I expected everything to be held whilst the emergency came through as a priority. It then dawned on me that the Fire brigade wouldn't have been RV'ing on the 24L side if the a/c was coming in on 24R.

I personally have never heard 24L used before for landing traffic. It clearly makes sense as it leaves 24R free for all the other in/outbounds. Just as much as landing an emergency on 06R keeping 06L free if on easterlies.

So I just wondered whether this was an unusual decision, were there special reasons that this had to implemented or is it just a decision ATC and the crew came to together??

In the end though.. down and safe and that's all that counts.

bagpuss lives
17th Nov 2003, 03:07
It's become standard practice when the conditions are suitable and the crew are agreeable to land any traffic in any sort of distress on 24L, thus leaving 24R open to traffic should any unfortunate incidents occur.

So to answer your questions, it's not unusual at all for 24L to be used for a SOS arrivals and yes, it's to enable 24R to remain open and the airfield to operate normally in the event of any severe incident.

Flap Speed
17th Nov 2003, 03:20
niteflite,

Blimey!!! If only I could get a response to my questions at the office as quickly!!! ;)

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. :ok: