PDA

View Full Version : Timewatch and The Battle of Britain

PPRuNe Pop
14th Nov 2003, 21:00
Timewatch on BBC2 at 9 p.m. this evening has the story, and discovery of Wing Commander Warburton, whose body was discovered after 62 years laying undetected.

On Thursday on Channel 5 is "The Battle of Britain". The subject of much discussion on here of late.

arthur harbrow
14th Nov 2003, 22:45
PP Thanks for reminding me about the Adrian Warburton programme.I have been looking forward to this.
There have been 1or 2 articles in Aeroplane Monthly on the subject.

Torres
17th Nov 2003, 13:26
Pops, don't get Auntie in Australia. Where was Wing Commander Warburton found? In the UK?

Cancel that! Found an internet reference see here. (http://home.freeuk.com/rmarg/warburton.htm)

In my 22 years living in Papua New Guinea (1963 - 1985), it seems another "lost" aircraft from WWII was found almost every year or so and pilot remains buried in the War Cemetary.

ChrisVJ
18th Nov 2003, 07:36
Caught the tail end of the story and then the old school mag turns up with longish explanation. Story overall rather fascinating.

Seems to be a revival of interest in interesting people, especially with the passing of the remaining heroes of WW11, maybe the jaded 80' and 90's will give way to a less cynical time when we can admire heroes again instead of 'celebrities.'

It would be an improvement

Kermit 180
18th Nov 2003, 16:52
Well said ChrisVJ... a revival of interest in true heroes.

Kerms

BEagle
21st Nov 2003, 00:45
Best news is that Channel 5 is advertised as showing the BoB in Widescreeen!!

Airbedane, I trust you'll be turning the volume up when the 'Luftwaffe March' is played!! Like we did 34 years ago at White Waltham?

Ignition Override
21st Nov 2003, 14:27
Were Warburton's remains found recently near a Bavarian village in the plane's wreckage and given a burial service right there nearby? I read a few months ago about lone P-38 Lightning reconnaissance missions flown by a few RAF pilots.

So many missions were flown by one pilot, very far from homebase in planes with little or nothing in the way of defensive weapons, as are many missions these days. Many reconnaisance crews were also lost near or over the Soviet Union in the "Cold War".:ugh: