PDA

View Full Version : Acknowledging traffic information

NorthSouth
14th Nov 2003, 17:12
I've often wondered what's the most useful response to controllers when receiving traffic information under a RIS - or a RAS in VMC. I tend to respond to traffic info calls with my callsign rather than anything longer like "looking for the traffic" since anything else is superfluous. But is it useful to controllers for pilots to report when they are visual with reported traffic - given that the traffic they can see may not be the traffic that's been called to them?

whowhenwhy
14th Nov 2003, 17:28
It's good to talk! Remember, unless you tell us, which most guys don't, we haven't got a clue if you're IMC or VMC, we'll call the traffic to you all the same! Under RIS just acknowledging the traffic info is fine. Under RAS you certainly have more responsibilities as the aircrew. If you're good VMC and happy to continue against the traffic that's been called, ie you're not taking the turn, then you must say that you're happy to continue. As was pointed out on an earlier thread, this does not mean that we'll instantly downgrade you to RIS. As far as reporting visual with any ac called to you, that's a very good idea, especially under RAS. Under RIS it's not as important, but unless the controller sees that you've taken positive action to resolve the confliction, and if the 'danger' still exists, then they'll call the traffic to you again. If you've already seen it and just not told the controller, then the controller has wasted a transmission to you and has diverted your attention away from what you might be doing. Hope this helps!:ok: