PDA

View Full Version : Light A/C Interior Refurb

strake
14th Nov 2003, 03:55
Thinking about a complete interior refurb on a TB10 and wondering if anyone has experience of timescale/cost on similar....

S-Works
14th Nov 2003, 04:33
Just done a Cessna this year and did not get much change from 10k

B

strake
14th Nov 2003, 15:55
Thanks Bose.

I know this flying lark is expensive but £10k just seems outrageously expensive for basically three chairs, a headlining, some plastic paint and a bit of carpet!
Still, that's aeroplanes I guess....

S-Works
14th Nov 2003, 15:59
I did the dash and some avionics work as well.

Seats - £500 each for total refurb.
Headlinings £1200
Side panels all the way around £2000
Dash panels £500
Carpet £600!

I also put in a new intercom and headset sockets wires. Fixed things like the roof speaker and hand mikes etc.

That's not to mention the FM Immune IFR avionics fit!!

Davidt
14th Nov 2003, 16:59
I just had leater seats +side panels+some new plastic+repaint of old plastic+tart up of headlinning+all new carpets for @£4.5K

Try Dave Dean, Dean's Custom Interiors at Gamston

My next project is new panel overlays c/o Aeroenhancements.com

Good luck, anything will be better than the 1960's Citroen look that you get with a TB

strake
14th Nov 2003, 18:37
Thanks Gentlemen, I'll take your advice.

Strake

IO540
14th Nov 2003, 20:58
Davidt

Good luck, anything will be better than the 1960's Citroen look that you get with a TB

At least 95% of non-flying people prefer the 1960s Citroen look to the 1920s interior of a typical WW2 Cessna/Piper :O Not to mention the superior comfort and access.

Strake

Have you been to www.socata.org - the TB user group?

ToryBoy
14th Nov 2003, 21:03
IO540

You've got to admit though, the plastics inside the TB range is a bit "disposable" shall we say! At least the majority of Cessna and Piper interiors were built to last.

strake
14th Nov 2003, 21:23
I think I take exception to disparaging comments about the interior of the TB range. I have to say the quality seems much the same as Cessnas and Pipers.
Of course, we do have "bags" more room.....:D

IO540

Thanks for the tip on the Socata website. Very useful.

IO540
14th Nov 2003, 23:29
ToryBoy

I would not agree. The plastics you refer to are presumably mainly the instrument panel surrounds. These are of a similar construction to motor vehicle dashboard surrounds, and should last just about for ever.

I am not sure about Cessnas/Pipers being made to last, but it's hard to get good "data" on this since most of these planes are now very old (VERY few people in Europe buy new Cessna or Piper piston singles) and most have been badly abused in clubs/schools, whereas TBs tend to be privately owned and looked after a lot better. Especially the 1-door planes (PA28s) where passengers have to climb in over seats and consequently the seats get shredded quite quickly.

I've seen 20 year old TB10s and they certainly looked no worse than anything else.

If I was looking for a good mainly-VFR plane for reasonable distances I would go for a TB10 every time, over Cessnas or Pipers.

eyeinthesky
16th Nov 2003, 01:43
There is a company (with which I have no connection at all!) at Elstree called Interiair which did a good job on a couple of larger (10 seat) aircraft I fly. No idea how much it all cost.

dublinpilot
16th Nov 2003, 02:58
TB9 everytime ;)

Way nicer than the Pipers/Cessna's.

dp

:ok:

LowNSlow
16th Nov 2003, 22:39
Try Ken Bones on 07770 672838. He did a leather interior for my Auster. Excellent quality and a reasonable price. He does work on anything from single seat vintage biplanes to Chieftains.

PS Cessna plastic door trims have the durability of an ice cream in the Sahara!

Cusco
17th Nov 2003, 00:35
I agree with L'n'S about Ken Bones at Rush Green (number above)

He recovered (and recushioned) all the seats in theeeee most gorgeous coffee/chocolate leather, replaced cr*p carpet with matching plush carpet, and retrimmed the interior, including plastic trim, & door seal. in our Arrow 2.

Didn't do the headlining or instrument surround though: that wasn't too bad.

Cost GBP2,500.00 and worth every penny

Interior still has that new car/aeroplane smell after 2 years, and new - to - flying pax no longer cr*p themselves when they climb in for first flight, and see holes in the carpet and trim hanging off.

Safe flying

Cusco