PDA

View Full Version : Flying (renting) out of Blackpool

Onan the Clumsy
14th Nov 2003, 03:38
Anyone got any suggestions for the best FBO at Squire's Gate?

I'll be up there in a few days and I wanted to take a jolly flip around the tower - than maybe up to Ambleside if I can afford it.

TIA, Onan

G-SPOTs Lost
14th Nov 2003, 03:59
try westair.uk.com

They have a nice 172 for rent, shouldn't be longer than a 30-40min checkride. It will be over £100 per hour but the general standard of a/c at BPL is pretty poor.

G-MIDY
14th Nov 2003, 05:51
I have a 60 minute trial flight coming up soon in a 152 at Westair. :)

Onan the Clumsy
15th Nov 2003, 15:45
Thanks. Unfortunately left my licenses back home, so I'll just ride with one of their chaps. but the general standard of a/c at BPL is pretty poor You haven't seen the ones I normally fly ;)

aces low
15th Nov 2003, 20:47
Can't speak for the rest of the outfits at Blackpool. But the aircraft at Pool Aviation are pristine... if a little expensive for the occasional jolly round the block. e.g. PA 28 with GPS, ADF, ILS, VOR, and 2 comm boxes (all in working order) is over £120ph dual. Also check what is included in your aircraft time...some include the first landing fee...and some only charge airborne plus ten minutes (for taxi). EGNH can be very busy, so you don't want to be paying for time at the holding point.

Must confess that I instruct at Pool, so must register my interest. However, advice is good for all schools at all airfields. Make sure you know what you are paying for

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Nov 2003, 22:52
I understand there is a Chipmunk available. Anyone know how much and whether checkout is 'reasonable' for an experienced Chippy pilot?

SSD

Onan the Clumsy
19th Nov 2003, 05:47
Thanks everyone. I did pass through on Monday but it was bloody awful weather. I got to see the Vulcan - she's a sorry looking old girl, but still very impressive, doubtless not the one they've been discussing in another forum regarding taxi tests.

I'm in Ambleside now. The weather is bloody awful... ;)

Holdposition
24th Nov 2003, 15:57
SSD

Think the chippy is still available at EGNH, try John Hunter at Comed (01253 349072) should be able to give you all the details, hope that helps, cheers.