PDA

View Full Version : 407 at mackay

imabell
12th Nov 2003, 05:25
preliminary report into the accident involving the bell 407 off mackay.

look up the australian transport safety bureau

follow the prompts to accidents, preliminary reports.

the first paragraph says a lot.

looks like he may have got lost in a black hole.

407 Driver
12th Nov 2003, 05:59
...or just click here...ATSB (http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/occurs/occurs_detail.cfm?ID=547)

Nigel Osborn
12th Nov 2003, 06:04
Interesting report. It certainly suggests that control was lost due to poor visual lighting thanks to cloud cover and no moon.
When did the AIP remove the need for there to be "celestial lighting"?
Surely this change in rules makes the need for SAS, etc much more necessary.

imabell
12th Nov 2003, 07:28
thanks 407, i didn't know how to do that.

nigel,

the aip and the training manual used to say that night vfr was flight at night under the visual flight rules with navigational reference to the ground or water at all times.

flights on a moonless night with any degree of "celestial" illumination is inherently dangerous. not having a sas or proper instruments for inadvertant flight into imc seems to be asking for trouble.

there are a few couple of companies in australia that do marine pilot transfers under the night vfr up to a hundred nautical out over the ocean.

more guts than an old bloke like me.

407 Driver
12th Nov 2003, 07:51
Imabell, I'd tell you how to post it, but...unfortunately, I'd have to kill you then ....:p

Nigel Osborn
12th Nov 2003, 08:33
imabell

DCA some years ago at a marine pilot job in Port Hedland, made the company fit a SAS to a 206 or provide 2 pilots for the longer trips. The company found the SAS the cheaper option and everyone was happy!
It's amasing how black a moonless night can be in the northern parts of Oz!

leading edge
13th Nov 2003, 02:46
Nigel Osborne and Imabell

The aircraft engaged in MPT from Port Hedland for the Port Hedland Port Authority have a stabilisation system/autopilot.

Jayrow have 2 aircraft equipped with stabilisation and they are both in the Port Hedland/Karratha area.

LE