PDA

View Full Version : Helping Out

jamierwilliams
12th Nov 2003, 00:36
Hopefully next year I wish to commence my PPL training. But as you are all probably aware, the training is quite expensive. I am considered as a 'junior' and would like to approach a club (Cubair Flight Training perhaps), maybe join as a junior and 'help out' to maybe earn some flying time. However, I am unsure as to how I should approach the club and ask if I can help out (plane-cleaning, telephone answering etc etc)??

J@MIE

Aussie Andy
12th Nov 2003, 02:15
Phone, or walk in, and ask I guess?

Sorry I don't have anything more concrete to suggest!

Andy

shortstripper
12th Nov 2003, 02:18
Hi

Best to go to the club and ask to see the CFI or manager and simply ask him/her. Tell them just what you've said on here and even if they don't have anything for you to do right then they'll probably point you in the right direction. Don't just ask the person at the desk as they can sometimes be errr ... shall we say, they sometimes think they have the authority to tell youngsters where to go ... when clearly they don't. Also, if you have no luck first go, don't be put off ... try another club.

IM

Fly Stimulator
12th Nov 2003, 02:25
Jamie,

Since you mention Cubair and are therefore presumably considering Redhill you may be interested to read this (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/will.htm) about a young lad who funded his flying lessons in just the way you suggest. Other side of the airfield, but same idea!

Arclite01
12th Nov 2003, 04:15
You can always go into Cubair and ask for Darrell who is the owner/operator.

They have part timers on the desk doing work - how they are paid I don't know.

And if you do get some flying out of them make sure you do your time in the Cub !!!!!!:ok:

Good luck

Arc

Or you could try Acebell in the same hangar - don't think they do training though...........not an FTO

Say again s l o w l y
12th Nov 2003, 04:28
Just go in and ask the boss or CFI as Shortstripper mentions, don't take a no from the person behind the desk, unless it is the boss! Just be friendly, presentable and most of all keen. You will get all the crap jobs, but it is good experience, and you'll often get alot of people taking you for a blast for free. You will also learn alot by just being there, let alone making contacts who could be useful later on.
At my school we have plenty of people who help us out behind the desk, refuelling etc. and we give them 1/2hr flying per day worked. Seems to work as we have to turn down alot of people!

Papa Charlie
12th Nov 2003, 15:06
As Arclite says, phone or see Daryl. The current "juniors" and anyone else who "mans" the desk tend to get paid by converting into flying hours i.e. a few hours working = one hour flying.

All contact details are on their website.

BTW I learnt to fly at Cubair and can certainly recommend them! :ok:

jamierwilliams
13th Nov 2003, 02:15
I have now spoken to Daryl and he has been extremely helpful. He has passed on the message to Nicki, who deals with their staffing. I looks quite promising...YAY

Thanks everybody,

J@MIE