PDA

View Full Version : BBJ Questions

Bobby Johnson
18th Apr 2001, 15:45
If anyone has any tech questions about the BBJ I'll have a go at answering them.

twistedenginestarter
20th Apr 2001, 16:17
Bobby

Does yours have GPS, INS or a mixture? If GPS - are their limitations or can you use it just like an INS?

Bobby Johnson
20th Apr 2001, 16:43
We have 2 independant GPS receivers left and right that feed the FMC with an accurate aircraft position which is totally automatic and two independant IRSs that feeds a number of systems including the FMS with attitude, headings, acceleration, v/s, g/s track, present position and wind.

twistedenginestarter
20th Apr 2001, 19:11
So when you start up do you have to set the IRSs in the same way as you have to set old INSs with eg current stand coordinates or do they pick this up from the GPSs?

Slick
20th Apr 2001, 22:03
You enter a/c position through the FMC CDU (Control Display Unit), though having said that if you really wanted you could enter your position through the INS ISDU (Inertial System Display Unit)

You can enter the gate no if you want, though most people tend to enter airport ref position. Most gate nos are not in our data base, the airports are, and with one person programing the FMC during pre-flight there is less room for error ! Of course the beauty of having GPS on the a/c as well, is that it starts updating your position before you move from the gate.

Sorry to steal your thunder Bobby I was bored.

Rgds

Slick
20th Apr 2001, 22:27
TES, havent fully answered your Qn have I. No, you have to select/enter a position manually first. Though as long as the a/c has pwr and is recieving GPS signals there will be a FMC, GPS position in Pos Ref page 2 which you could line select into the Pos Init during pre-flight.

What do you do Bobby ?

Rgds

twistedenginestarter
21st Apr 2001, 03:11
Periodically I think I should go out and buy Precision Simulator (for the 747-400) and learn all about the world of glass cockpits but every time.... I don't.

I wonder if it's fear... of having to let the old familiar world go.

HighSpeed
21st Apr 2001, 14:37
on the b777, though our primary nav is by GPS, you will still need 'align' your IRS or ADIRU as on the B777 (an upgrade of the old IRS) as it provides you with info to your instruments as mentioned by bobby.

what we do on the b777 is usually to obtain the Present Position coordinate from the GPS and cross-checked it with at charts' position before inputting it onto Pos Init Page.

Slick
21st Apr 2001, 16:34
I let the old familiar world go TES, and I do miss it. I am reliably told however that my specks are rather rose tinted ?

cossack
21st Apr 2001, 20:07
Is the BBJ any better/worse than the 737-700 from which it is developed?
Those winglets have to be seen to be believed!
I guess the weight will be less due less seats and pax but are the handling, performance and fuel burn any better?
Boeing finally made the 737 look cool! :)

Bobby Johnson
23rd Apr 2001, 10:04
twistedenginestarter
Just to clarify the whole issue of the Nav sysytems. The GPS is totally automatic and fires up on its own there is no need to input any information. The IRS' need a position to get them going and we put in the airport designatedor,as slick says by putting inthe ICAO airport designator reduces the possibility of a mistake on the position, however if the position was incorrect it would flash at you, but it saves time. The system is virtually identical to the B777.

I am just putting together a website called www.thebbj.com (http://www.thebbj.com) that will give a focal point for those interested in the BBJ. Coming soon when I get time!!!

Checkboard
27th Apr 2001, 12:12
Have they made the flightdeck any bigger, or is all that room still reserved for the paying guests? :)

----------
Checkboard: 6'4" 737 pilot

Tom the Tenor
27th Apr 2001, 13:44
Bobby Johnson,

Looking forward to your BBJ website already. After seeing all generations of airliner Boeing 737s doing the milk-runs and sun charters from Cork over the years it will be real cool to look up a dedicated site about such a classy biz-jet like the new BBJ! We get a regular enough visit from the BBJ owned by the Miami Dolphins American football team and she looks great in her green/gold colours with the team's logo on the tail and the fact that she goes from Cork direct to Fort Lauderdale adds to her overall style and class. Thanks, TTT.